• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

Since you're bringing up Statistics, perhaps you should look at the definition of outlier: a data point on a graph or in a set of results that is very much bigger or smaller than the next nearest data point.

Congratulations on being able to do a google search.  Perhaps you should read my post in context with regard to the use of the word "Statistics," what do you think?

5 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Congratulations on being able to do a google search.  Perhaps you should read my post in context with regard to the use of the word "Statistics," what do you think?

Pardon me, sonny. I have a BS in math, and an MS in computer science. I didn't need to look up the definition of outlier - that was for your benefit.

As to your assertion that the evaluation of the difference between grades can be done with Statistics, I would like to point out several issues.

First, the difference between prices of the SAME book can widely vary, even if purchased on the same day. It took me a while to find this (and I know it's not the grade that you are discussing), but here's an example. On 08/22/2020, two copies of X-Men #94 CGC 9.4 were sold for $2,130 and $1,700. Based on this information, what would be the FMV for this book on 08/23/2020?

In addition, these prices could be affected by a variety of variables, such as page quality, centering, etc. How are you going to to use Statistics when there are variables that have an unknown effect on the price? Statistics looks at data, plain and simple. It cannot factor in page quality, centering, etc., as there are no established norms that tell you how those factors affect grades.

Second, there is the issue of consistency. It is well known that virtually identical books can get different grades based on the grader or whether the grader is having a bad day. For companies that produce widgets, one widget is not going to be evaluated as a 9.6, while another widget is not going to be evaluated as a 9.8. Either a widget meets its specification or it doesn't - there are no opinions involved. A 9.6 is a 9.6, until it gets resubmitted and becomes a 9.8 or a 9.4. If a company cannot guarantee a consistent grade for a specific number of flaws (and no one can, because grading is an opinion, not science), then it is difficult to put too much stock into whether a book is a 9.6 and 9.8. As mentioned elsewhere on this board, the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 are so minute, they can almost be unnoticeable.

Also in regard to consistency, the premium that might be paid for a higher-grade book may change from month to month, or even day to day. Based on sales in January 2021, the value of an X-Men #94 CGC 9.6 is 2.71 times as much as an X-Men #94 CGC 9.4. I would have used 9.6 and 9.8, but the most recent sale of an X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 was in September, 2019. It is 2.71 times as much in January, but who's to say that it might become 2.5 times as much in February and then 2.9 times as much in early March. if you can't quantify that there is a standard percent increase from one grade level to another grade, then any statistical analysis you did would be suspect.

You started the "snarkiness" in this thread in your reply to @lou_fine. And stupidly, I took the bait.

If you wish to address the issues I brought up, I would enjoy hearing your opinions.

28 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Pardon me, sonny. I have a BS in math, and an MS in computer science. I didn't need to look up the definition of outlier - that was for your benefit.

As to your assertion that the evaluation of the difference between grades can be done with Statistics, I would like to point out several issues.

First, the difference between prices of the SAME book can widely vary, even if purchased on the same day. It took me a while to find this (and I know it's not the grade that you are discussing), but here's an example. On 08/22/2020, two copies of X-Men #94 CGC 9.4 were sold for $2,130 and $1,700. Based on this information, what would be the FMV for this book on 08/23/2020?

In addition, these prices could be affected by a variety of variables, such as page quality, centering, etc. How are you going to to use Statistics when there are variables that have an unknown effect on the price? Statistics looks at data, plain and simple. It cannot factor in page quality, centering, etc., as there are no established norms that tell you how those factors affect grades.

Second, there is the issue of consistency. It is well known that virtually identical books can get different grades based on the grader or whether the grader is having a bad day. For companies that produce widgets, one widget is not going to be evaluated as a 9.6, while another widget is not going to be evaluated as a 9.8. Either a widget meets its specification or it doesn't - there are no opinions involved. A 9.6 is a 9.6, until it gets resubmitted and becomes a 9.8 or a 9.4. If a company cannot guarantee a consistent grade for a specific number of flaws (and no one can, because grading is an opinion, not science), then it is difficult to put too much stock into whether a book is a 9.6 and 9.8. As mentioned elsewhere on this board, the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 are so minute, they can almost be unnoticeable.

Also in regard to consistency, the premium that might be paid for a higher-grade book may change from month to month, or even day to day. Based on sales in January 2021, the value of an X-Men #94 CGC 9.6 is 2.71 times as much as an X-Men #94 CGC 9.4. I would have used 9.6 and 9.8, but the most recent sale of an X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 was in September, 2019. It is 2.71 times as much in January, but who's to say that it might become 2.5 times as much in February and then 2.9 times as much in early March. if you can't quantify that there is a standard percent increase from one grade level to another grade, then any statistical analysis you did would be suspect.

You started the "snarkiness" in this thread in your reply to @lou_fine. And stupidly, I took the bait.

If you wish to address the issues I brought up, I would enjoy hearing your opinions.

I have to be honest, all I am really taking away from this is that I could do your job as long as I have the google search app and a iphone.  Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I have to be honest, all I am really taking away from this is that I could do your job as long as I have the google search app and a iphone.  Am I wrong?

So analyzing your diatribe is now my job? Look, I tried to make some valid points why I believe using statistical analysis for the difference between comic book grades might not be effective. I'm sure you just went for the insult without actually reading my post.

Take time to respond to my points in a civil tone. Otherwise, I'm no longer interested in anything you have to say.

14 hours ago, 1webslinger said:

I’m in, I finally took a pic.

6F56A369-237C-486F-8F0C-5A6304B68D74.jpeg

The biggest hangup I have ever had with GXM 1 is a copy with Wolverine's middle blade being very slightly cut off at the bottom of the cover, due to a bad spine wrap or some other issue.  I love books that make "the cut," and have that full blade, you have one of them.  Well done sir. 

1 hour ago, bluehorseshoe said:

The biggest hangup I have ever had with GXM 1 is a copy with Wolverine's middle blade being very slightly cut off at the bottom of the cover, due to a bad spine wrap or some other issue.  I love books that make "the cut," and have that full blade, you have one of them.  Well done sir. 

Ha that is exactly what I look for on this book, tough balancing act to not encroach the code stamp but get the middle blade, but they are out there. Much like IH181 I see way too many code stamps cut off at the top and people saying perfect wrap... 

X-Men 94 seems to be heating up - glad I picked up a 7.0 a few months back to match my GSXM 7.0.

I guess it makes sense as these books used to be so close in value - so with a surge in GSXM1, XM94 had to have a run-up as well. Although, I don’t think it will get close to GSXM1 as the market has shifted to put most of the value in a book to First Appearances. 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:47 AM, Chillax23 said:

X-Men 94 seems to be heating up - glad I picked up a 7.0 a few months back to match my GSXM 7.0.

I guess it makes sense as these books used to be so close in value - so with a surge in GSXM1, XM94 had to have a run-up as well. Although, I don’t think it will get close to GSXM1 as the market has shifted to put most of the value in a book to First Appearances. 

It's definitely the next one to catch up now that hulk 181 and gsx1 have made their runs

11 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Apparently this was a timely trade.  Got it a couple weeks back.  I had no clue it was doing what it’s doing.  I’m such a noob. 

F2DE1B26-5418-422A-AD93-3784768A626B.jpeg

Pretty sharp, love the greenish cover, classic!

7.0 :)

What did you give for it? Trade?

17 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Apparently this was a timely trade.  Got it a couple weeks back.  I had no clue it was doing what it’s doing.  I’m such a noob. 

F2DE1B26-5418-422A-AD93-3784768A626B.jpeg

Excellent pickup... wouldn't be surprised if this crosses 4 figures in the next few months... lots of momentum in the book as people want the companion to their GSX1

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Excellent pickup... wouldn't be surprised if this crosses 4 figures in the next few months... lots of momentum in the book as people want the companion to their GSX1

Wasn't the GS X-Men 1 part of some huge warehouse find back in the day and as such, shouldn't really be that difficult to find in grade?  hm  (shrug)