• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, mjoeyoung said:

With 5 hours to go it was at $45k and I thought that was already insane.  THEN it goes up ANOTHER $20k???  The last 9.8 on the GPA only sold for $22500 on Jan 8th.  Do these prices have any chance of sticking?  There are at least 200 CGC graded 9.8s.  Are there 200 people willing to drop $70k on this book?

Well if all the action is happening on Clink then GPA is becoming kind of irrelevant. Anyone know if Gocollect factors Clink into the average somehow? I'm sure HA will catch up fairly soon and be reflected on GPA but for the moment GPA is not indicative. Btw, this GSX wasn't even a white. It was ow/w. It wasn't one of those last second monster bids either...it was clearly a few people battling it out before the hammer. 

10 hours ago, mjoeyoung said:

Do these prices have any chance of sticking?  There are at least 200 CGC graded 9.8s.  Are there 200 people willing to drop $70k on this book?

You don’t need anywhere near 200 people willing to drop that kind of cash on a 9.8 because there aren’t 200 available.  In this auction there was one available, and all you needed was two bidders willing to push it up.  I know sooo many collectors who have these SA and BA books in super high grade that just don’t ever think about parting with them - they’ll die with them I’m sure.  So if there are 200 graded at 9.8 how many are actually available to purchase - that’s the question.  

10 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

...it was clearly a few people battling it out before the hammer. 

1 hour ago, Darthbryan said:

how many are actually available to purchase - that’s the question.  

What is the size of the pool of people willing to pay this much for this comic?  These kinds of prices realized will push more people to sell, increasing the supply.  The "willing to buy it for $70k+" people will get their copy and then what?  How much of the supply will be left?  Like Darthbryan said you only need two bidders willing to push it up, but if the market only HAS two bidders willing to pay those prices than the winner in this auction will actually be the eventual loser, because the bidder who lost will get their copy significantly cheaper in the next auction.

1 hour ago, pickycollector said:

If I had a GSX 1 9.8, I would happily sell it for $68K and would buy a GSX 9.6 for $18K, the difference in condition is often marginal if any. That would be $50K in my pockets for more books and I would still have a nice 9.6 in my collection but that is me.

That being said, my copy is just a 9.2 but I am very happy with it.

This is the way

12 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

GSX 1 and Hulk 181 9.8s are going to 100K, only a matter of time  

Agree 100%. I am kicking myself now for not going higher in March 2020 on GSX 1 CGC 9.8. The first copy that month sold for $8,900, and I had a max of $10K on the next one to come up for sale but did not chase it past that since I thought that anything over $10K would be grossly overpaying. doh!

3 hours ago, mjoeyoung said:

What is the size of the pool of people willing to pay this much for this comic?  These kinds of prices realized will push more people to sell, increasing the supply.  The "willing to buy it for $70k+" people will get their copy and then what?  How much of the supply will be left?  Like Darthbryan said you only need two bidders willing to push it up, but if the market only HAS two bidders willing to pay those prices than the winner in this auction will actually be the eventual loser, because the bidder who lost will get their copy significantly cheaper in the next auction.

Over the past three decades of collecting, I’ve spent a lot of time and money in two other hobbies - Star Wars collecting and Movie Prop Collecting.  What some people spend on vintage Star Wars prototypes and /or movie props would make your brain spin.  That being said there are plenty of people who could afford $70k on the highest grade of one of the most important non-Silver Age books ever made. TAnd there seems to be more cross-over in collecting genres these days bringing in more people to the hobby.  There’s plenty of money out there to keep pushing this stuff up especially with the MCU speculation.  I think the faith in what Marvel has done on film with this title in the past, coupled with their current MCU movies, is driving people to invest in these books because they know the brand won’t in any way be diminished through poor quality movies or streaming shows.   My biggest question is what happens to the “yield curve” with this book - does it continue to spike or level off.   I don’t see it dropping significantly.  

I’ll also say that what is happening is exciting, unnerving, and to a point sad.  I’ve spent the last few years really investing back in the hobby and acquiring books that I coveted as a teen in the 80s:  FF1, X-Men 1, FF48 to name a few.  And of course a GS X-Men 1 9.6 which I landed a few years ago.  It’s a bit sad to me that even decent quality books in the 7.0-8.0 range are starting to price people out on titles like GSX1 and Hulk 181.  You always want people re-entering the hobby to have hope that they can move the needle on their collections but with what’s going on now that’s going to be tougher for all but the very rich if this continues.  

Edited by Darthbryan

3 hours ago, pickycollector said:

If I had a GSX 1 9.8, I would happily sell it for $68K and would buy a GSX 9.6 for $18K, the difference in condition is often marginal if any. That would be $50K in my pockets for more books and I would still have a nice 9.6 in my collection but that is me.

Sure it makes some sense and it is tempting. You would have to hope 9.6s remain at that price point for longer than 5 minutes...which is questionable. But still, even if 9.6s skyrocket another 30% it's still a handsome profit next to a 9.8. Especially if you can unload a 9.8 on the boards avoiding fees. I suspect that value gap may close a little between those grades. It should be noted however there was for the longest time, probably still is a huge chasm between 9.8/9.6 IH181. So you may be right but I don't know if it's 50k right.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Agree 100%. I am kicking myself now for not going higher in March 2020 on GSX 1 CGC 9.8. The first copy that month sold for $8,900, and I had a max of $10K on the next one to come up for sale but did not chase it past that since I thought that anything over $10K would be grossly overpaying. doh!

Was that early or late March? I think late March early April last year was around the time the economy was in full meltdown if memory serves. That may have been before the Federal reserve started throwing money at the market to stop it from tanking. Yeah if you were going to buy that was the moment. 

9 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Pressing and resubbing aint going to bring back the tip of that middle claw. I hate that :spoon:

I didn’t think cgc took off for centering and bad cuts. There was a long discussion in a Facebook group about it since it’s so important in card grading. 

9 minutes ago, Darthbryan said:

I didn’t think cgc took off for centering and bad cuts. There was a long discussion in a Facebook group about it since it’s so important in card grading. 

I am not suggesting that the slight cut off of the middle claw would cause a grade drop, it just to grinds my gears personally, of all the covers to get a slight miscut, you know?

Glad I picked this up for 5K 2 years ago when it first started taking off, GPA had hit 6K and a friend of mine was looking to move his copy. A little disappointed, the cover wasn't as white as I would have liked but at least the centering, PQ and the head and foot of the book all checked out.   

GSX1.jpg

Edited by Kevin76

5 hours ago, pickycollector said:

@pickycollectoris wise beyond his years.

5 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

The wise thing to do would be to hang onto a 9.8, it's going to hit 6 figures sooner than everyone thinks. 

Agreed. At this point, I can see it and Hulk #181 clearing that hurdle by end of next year.

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Was that early or late March? I think late March early April last year was around the time the economy was in full meltdown if memory serves. That may have been before the Federal reserve started throwing money at the market to stop it from tanking. Yeah if you were going to buy that was the moment. 

Late March. The smart thing I did is toss the funds I had set aside into the market after missing out on the GSX 1. That happened to be the week of March 23rd, which was the bottom of the correction. So far it has been a wash as the gains in the investment have been the same as in GSX 1 9.8. However, it looks like stock markets are dropping and GSX 1 is still running so that may change. :frustrated: