• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

While I don't understand, why would the bank spend a tremendous amount of assets to defend a case they are likely to lose (unless a settlement amount was offered and was rejected?) is beyond me.

I think banks follow the same mission statement as insurance companies: "Let's just keep dragging this on and on, and sooner or later, the plaintiff will just give up."

Also, I'm sure these banks have their own in-house counsel. These lawyers get paid whether they are in court or not, so why not ask to just keep stringing the case along?

9 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I think banks follow the same mission statement as insurance companies: "Let's just keep dragging this on and on, and sooner or later, the plaintiff will just settle."

I can see them continuing to fight it until 1) the plaintiff settles for a lesser amount or 2) their legal costs hit a certain threshold where it makes sense for them/their insurance company to pay out.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, canickus said:
On 4/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I'm sure the consignor will gladly take the money from the GXM but at the same time I bet they were hoping for a little better than 60k. 

I think you are right.  Since this was around a $20k book at the beginning of the year, I am certain that the consignor is happy.

Yes, probably even more happy that he made it out just in time since the last sale on CL saw a further drop back down to the $47K price point.  :banana:

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, probably even more happy that he made it out just in time since the last sale on CL saw a further drop back down to the $47K price point.  :banana:

If you had a 9.6 or a 9.8, then you wouldn't be so obsessed with your micro-analysis of the market price points for it over a such a short timeframe.

But you and I both know that ship has sailed, hasn't it?

On 5/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, HotKey said:

I think its safe to say the ceiling for 8.0s has been found.

Screenshot_20210509-114123_eBay.jpg

That’s 9 times what I paid for my 8.0. I’d be happy with that result.

Edited by piper

On 5/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Math Teacher said:

I imagine that this same type of activity happens with storage units. I would NEVER store my valuable comics in a storage unit. And I imagine the owners of a storage would also fight you tooth and nail.

I've heard nightmare stories of people keeping high dollar collections at a storage unit and getting broken into. Then when they file for insurance, they find out their homeowner's doesn't cover collectibles and that you need specialized coverage for that. In some cases, the thieves just unscrewed the door off the storage and went in. I would never trust anything of value in a storage unit. 

On 5/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, tvindy said:

Yes, I agree that it's extremely unlikely, but if it does happen, the banks usually put up a lot of resistance. And even suing them is problematic. This is from the NY Times article. (btw you don't need a subscription to read it.) :

On 5/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, tvindy said:

Yes, I agree that it's extremely unlikely, but if it does happen, the banks usually put up a lot of resistance. And even suing them is problematic. This is from the NY Times article. (btw you don't need a subscription to read it.) :

the sad part is the person is this article is elderly. what if he doesnt live to see the resolution?

10 hours ago, Lpgk said:

I've heard nightmare stories of people keeping high dollar collections at a storage unit and getting broken into. Then when they file for insurance, they find out their homeowner's doesn't cover collectibles and that you need specialized coverage for that. In some cases, the thieves just unscrewed the door off the storage and went in. I would never trust anything of value in a storage unit. 

Rule 1... don't store anything of high value in a storage unit

Rule 2... don't talk about fight club....err... about high value items you keep in storage

On 5/11/2021 at 9:47 PM, southern cross said:

Not sure I've posted these two pics before to be in the club.Screenshot_20210511-184507.thumb.png.d698fe1fa0aa26871791463a7b2741bd.png

Aside from the centering this looks pretty decent.  Is the back cover hugely deformed or do you have any way of knowing what's wrong with the inside to warrant a 2.5?

1 hour ago, davebo357 said:

Aside from the centering this looks pretty decent.  Is the back cover hugely deformed or do you have any way of knowing what's wrong with the inside to warrant a 2.5?

If you blow up the pic and look real close on the right hand side, you can just see water damage to the book.

You really have to look hard to see it.

Nothing wrong with the back cover.

Sometimes you can find low grade books that present well for the grade 👍

4 hours ago, southern cross said:

If you blow up the pic and look real close on the right hand side, you can just see water damage to the book.

You really have to look hard to see it.

Nothing wrong with the back cover.

Sometimes you can find low grade books that present well for the grade 👍

Does that mean ANY water damage automatically reduces the grade to 2.5?

17 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Does that mean ANY water damage automatically reduces the grade to 2.5?

My bad. Just had a look at the back cover and the water damage is more prominent there.

And back cover is wavy up to the first two rows on left hand side boxes of the ad.

Still for 2.5 front cover still looks ok.

Bought this in 2019 so the gsx1 train had already left the station.

I just jumped from the over pass to board with a cheap ticket.

Especially what a 2.5 is today 👍

PXL_20210514_035502636.thumb.jpg.eaa42e8866600b9b2fbfd542828eee04.jpgPXL_20210514_035457280.thumb.jpg.b8e6c9427ead4cf1061e0615fff4f489.jpg

Edited by southern cross

On 5/9/2021 at 11:44 AM, HotKey said:

I think its safe to say the ceiling for 8.0s has been found.

Screenshot_20210509-114123_eBay.jpg

I think its Safe to say, "Nothing is safe" - Nor is there any real "ceiling". I wouldn't be surprised if in a week or 2, this same book sells for over $7500. the market is very fluid. many different factors determine "hammer price" 

my 2c 

- That being said.. Man! did this book go through the roof! 

Edited by GAMBIT