• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

This is by far the nicest copy of this book I have ever seen. Clean spine, no color loss at the staples (common even on 9.8 copies) and no corner wear at the spine. There is a small scratch on the book, otherwise I would have that that a shot at 9.9 was possible. Literally a near flawless copy.

GS%20X-Men%201%20CGC%209.8_zpsntjkqjow.jpg

very nice!

I'm in

wufblc.jpg

Added 2 more this year. First one is a book I bought at the old Penn Plaza show in NYC in the mid 90's and had it graded this year

2m60h7a.jpg

this one I had signed by Claremont and Mcleod at special edition NYCC this summer

20i9hqe.jpg

Nice books :applause:

I just picked up a GIANT SIZED X-MEN #1 in CGC 7.5 Signature Series signed by Len Wein.

I was debating whether that's a better buy than going after a higher grade unsigned.

I'm not totally enamored by signature series books generally, as I see writing on the cover as an aesthetic flaw.

But, with creators like Stan Lee, who is a legend, I of course make exception.

I'd never ever want Stan to sign a book like this which he had no direct involvement in other than creating the original team and maybe being Marvel's Editor in Chief at the time.

When I thought about this book and Len Wein, I figured, he is the creator after all, the writer is an integral part of the team, not to diminish their value or importance.

Dave Cockrum, the interior artist is deceased as is the cover artist, Gil Kane. So, if this book were every to get a CGC Signature Series autograph, it would have to be by Len Wein to make the most sense and have direct relevance.

I paid $760 for the book. I'm not sure if I got a deal, paid market value, or overpaid.

I'm not sure if a CGC 7.5 is a good enough grade to be considered prestigious either. I know a 9.8 is out of my stratosphere, but wasn't sure what the tipping point was for what grade was considered "meh" and average run of the mill good but not great, and where a grade becomes a "wow, that's hard to find!" and gets that "Nice book!" type of level of praise.

This was one of the key books I always wanted to get again (I sold mine with a slight split spine at the bottom years ago in the late 1980's for maybe $20 or so), with the intent being more for my personal collection than to resell, 'tho anytime you spend more than $100 on a comic book I consider it an investment and have an eye for the price, value and potential to grow.