• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2021 at 1:04 AM, mjoeyoung said:

But those are one of ones, completely unique items, like artwork.  If you want the original artwork for Wolverine's first appearance, there is ONLY one copy, so it goes for the big money.  GS X-Men and the like were mass produced in large quantities.  There are 10,000 copies in the CGC census alone, how many copies are in the wild?  There are 2,000 copies above 9.0.  These are not rare books.  Is there THAT much demand? Across all grades?  Maybe there will be an even bigger stratification between 9.8s and 9.6s, etc. (investment grade) and the lower grades.  Are people going to pay $7K for a 2.0?  I'm not saying it cannot happen, but how probable is it.

Aside from your personal opinion, given the data = Very.

The interesting theme to me in each of these posts in this thread, the Bronze Books Heating Up Thread, etc. is really a matter of perception of reality. The perception is these books that are selling for 3 or 4 times what they were last year are "not rare," which somehow sets up a barrier to continued purchases and higher sales. The sales data has proven this is just not true. 

And lets not kid ourselves and own up to this: if you are cheering for these books to keep going up and are bullish that they will, its because you already have what you want, in the grade that you want.  If you are bearish on these books and the "crash is near" and no way could demand be this strong or stay this way, its because you don't have these books. And to all the "I dont care or have a skin in the game" folks: fine, but if your not in this particular situation, you are in it on another book somewhere.  Not a slight to anyone, we are all on here because we love this "stuff" and remember, there is another message board out there full of passionate toy train collectors arguing about the exact same issue.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, canickus said:

What is especially nice about this example is the bright white cover.  A lot of Giant-Size X-Men 1 books have a lot of cover bleed through (like picture below). but this is a full bright white cover - which I think is one reason for the high price.

You are definitely 110% right with respect to the full bright white cover aspect when it comes to this Giant-Size X-Men 1 book.  (thumbsu

I still remembered buying my copy back in the day and since they were asking an outrageous $2 or what amounted to a crazy 4X cover price for the book, I sure as heck took my time and made sure that I got the brightest and whitest copy possible.  It was an absolutely gorgeous copy for a perfect squarebound book and I thought for sure that since it was the first appearance of the New X-men, that one day the marketplace would end up placing more value on it than X-Men 94 which had a higher price point on it for several years back then.  (:  :screwy:

Sad to say, but the only mistake I made was to stored all of those books which I had purchased at that time over in my sister's place for safekeeping since she had a huge unused basement.  Years later, when I went back to check on some of the boxes, I discovered that not only was the GS X-Men 1 missing, but also one of my X-Men 94 books which I had purchased even earlier.  Figured that my nephew probably took them and sold them to pursue his action figure collecting which he was really into back then and these 2 books had some value by then.  Didn't really bothered me too much at the time, because if I really wanted to replace the book, I could have for several hundred dollars, but there was no way in heck that I was going to spend that kind of money on a common BA book that was also apparently part of some huge warehouse find.  doh!

It's always kind of bothered me that my New X-Men run up to 150 is now missing that key first appearance, but not enough that it ever really crossed my mind even when it was worth only a few thousand dollars.  Now that it seems to be worth deep into the 5-figures, I am definitely wishing that book was still in my personal collection as that hole now seems to be much larger than before, but like they say, "It Is What It Is" and life goes on.  :(  (thumbsu

12 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

The sales data has proven this is just not true. 

I would like to see the data that points to GSXM 1 being a 70K book.  20K? I see lots of recent data that supports that price.  It has been up to a 15k book for awhile so going up to 20k is not that unexpected, at least to me.  Cannot go wrong with more data, I would love to see it.  Just remember, there are also probably still some beanie baby message boards where they discuss how much their collectable was worth.

6 hours ago, Bludriver said:

I have 2 GS1. One is coverless and the other is around a 3.0. The coverless is my reading copy. I would love to get a higher grade though and sell my 3.0 to help pay for it.

I have a 94 which is around 8.0. I am happy with that.

Nice!  I've been trying to get a coverless for a few years, keep getting sniped.

1 hour ago, mjoeyoung said:
14 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

The sales data has proven this is just not true. 

I would like to see the data that points to GSXM 1 being a 70K book.

Well, I believe this $70K price point is all based entirely on just that one CL auction result for $67,900 from a few days ago.  :gossip:

As you have correctly indicated, we will certainly need to see more sales results in this price range before we can say whether this $70K price point is the new base for this book in CGC 9.8 or whether that last CL auction result was just an outlier.  I guess the upcoming auction for a copy of this GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 in the current CC Event Auction will go a long way in determining this as it will add another valuable data point to the chart.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

Wait until a 9.8 with White pages shows up for auction, we could see 75K+ 

Or just as easily back down to $35K or less if all of those fly-by-night sports cards traders, Gamestoppers, crypto investors, etc. have lost interest and already moved onto their newest toys for boys to chase after.  :devil:

After all, for a long time comic book collector, any bets that virtually all of them would be willing to sell their GSXM 1 for $75K+, while virtually not a single one of them woud be willing to fork over $75K+ to obtain a copy of the book.  hm   (thumbsu

10 hours ago, mjoeyoung said:

I would like to see the data that points to GSXM 1 being a 70K book.  20K? I see lots of recent data that supports that price.  It has been up to a 15k book for awhile so going up to 20k is not that unexpected, at least to me.  Cannot go wrong with more data, I would love to see it.  Just remember, there are also probably still some beanie baby message boards where they discuss how much their collectable was worth.

Nice!  I've been trying to get a coverless for a few years, keep getting sniped.

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I believe this $70K price point is all based entirely on just that one CL auction result for $67,900 from a few days ago.  :gossip:

As you have correctly indicated, we will certainly need to see more sales results in this price range before we can say whether this $70K price point is the new base for this book in CGC 9.8 or whether that last CL auction result was just an outlier.  I guess the upcoming auction for a copy of this GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 in the current CC Event Auction will go a long way in determining this as it will add another valuable data point to the chart.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Can either of you point out anywhere I wrote about any GXM 1 being 70,000? The thread I quoted mentioned a 7,000 amount, but please point out what either of you are using to attach me to a 70,000 amount. Otherwise, reading comprehension. 

But thanks to both of you for making my suggestion as to how to interpret this thread post by post absolutely, 100% true.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Nice copy but that upper left corner is fairly brutal.  I would put that at a 8.5 maybe a 9.

59 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

X94 9.8 white 63k on Heritage just now. I think it has a decent wrap but heritage makes it impossible to know for sure how much white is on the spine with that bright white backdrop. I don't know if they do that on purpose but its annoying as hell!

Link? Having a hard time finding it