• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

I was very confused about that 129 result. Was it signed or Mark Jewelers or something? I tried looking it up again but can't find it. 

Here is the reason.  CGC doesn't differentiate between direct sales copies and news stand copies.  As you get later into the X-Men 94 -143 run, there are many more high grade copies of the direct sales version than the news stand copies.  

For example, if you search the Heritage archives for past sales of X-Men 129 CGC 9.8 - you will see 27 sales.  26 direct sale books and 1 news stand book.  That should give you an idea of the relative rarity.

There are 300 or so CGC 9.8s of that issue.  I don't know, but I think that at most 15 to 20 of those are news stand issues.  All in all, as strange as it seems, that was probably a pretty good transaction for both the seller and buyer.

X-men 129 heritage sales.jpg

Edited by canickus

On 4/15/2021 at 11:07 PM, canickus said:

Here is the reason.  CGC doesn't differentiate between direct sales copies and news stand copies.  As you get later into the X-Men 94 -143 run, there are many more high grade copies of the direct sales version than the news stand copies.  

For example, if you search the Heritage archives for past sales of X-Men 129 CGC 9.8 - you will see 27 sales.  26 direct sale books and 1 news stand book.  That should give you an idea of the relative rarity.

There are 300 or so CGC 9.8s of that issue.  I don't know, but I think that at most 15 to 20 of those are news stand issues.  All in all, as strange as it seems, that was probably a pretty good transaction for both the seller and buyer.

X-men 129 heritage sales.jpg

What sort of percentage price differential would there be between direct and news stand? Do Mark Jewelers inserts affect the price by much?

7 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

What sort of percentage price differential would there be between direct and news stand? Do Mark Jewelers inserts affect the price by much?

pay some $ and subscribe to gpa please. they break out newsstand and direct editions and even mark jewelers inserts when they exist for a book. you will get actual data rather than a bunch of guys bickering about what is worth more and how rare direct editions are, blah blah blah. 

On 4/15/2021 at 9:13 AM, BrooksR said:

Gracious that’s a lot of 94’s! Conrats!

Edit: apologies for quoting an old post, I was casually browsing and wasn’t paying attention, didn’t realize I had not clicked the arrow link to go to the last page. 🙄

And here we go... a 5.5 x men 94  just sold for  $1700.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-94-CGC-5-5-WP-New-Team-Begins-Wolverine-Storm-Colossus-Nightcrawler/233965044578?hash=item3679674362:g:k4sAAOSwcxlgc55w

18 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Looks like it’s time for my weekly amazed face...

1D72866E-68B1-47CA-B000-FBC899577A08.thumb.jpeg.c6aa5477b425e83089904d2996d01a26.jpeg

How much higher can it go? I can’t imagine it will ever pass GSX1.

7 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

1D72866E-68B1-47CA-B000-FBC899577A08.thumb.jpeg.c6aa5477b425e83089904d2996d01a26.jpeg

Who knows lol ... I imagine not but could hit all time highs a second time if heaven forbid something happens to Claremont  and there is renewed interest in his genius and work on the series. 

Edited by Wolverinex

56 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Who knows lol ... I imagine not but could hit all time highs a second time if heaven forbid something happens to Claremont  and there is renewed interest in his genius and work on the series. 

You think so? For blue labels though? I think there's some precedent here with Wein and Trimpe but did that extend to non yellow labels? Obviously there was Stan but he's a different case. 

2 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

You think so? For blue labels though? I think there's some precedent here with Wein and Trimpe but did that extend to non yellow labels? Obviously there was Stan but he's a different case. 

I guess I'm biased because I  REALLY like Chris Claremont's work... Probably my favorite writer of all time and a lot of his stories still have aged well.  I  guess we'll see... 

I am glad to see X-men 94 has become one of the hottest books this year... it's not very surprising since many collectors who buy GSX1 will have this book next in their target.  

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Look at this NM raw 94  copy that sold for $4650!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-94-V-F-to-NM-9-0-to-9-5-High-Grade-2nd-App-New-X-Men-Team/184755281048?hash=item2b0445dc98:g:vrEAAOSw26VgcHV4

8.5 x94  also just  sold for $2900

I paid $500 for this 8.0 maybe 5 months ago and cracked it out because it has NCB wear. 

What's it worth as a raw eBay "NM" right now? $6000?

Anyone who thinks this price explosion makes sense is likely in for a hard landing. 

001 (515).jpg

Look at this chart. The book was flat for 20 years before the hockey stick hit! lol

image.png

Edited by october

4 hours ago, october said:

I paid $500 for this 8.0 maybe 5 months ago and cracked it out because it has NCB wear. 

What's it worth as a raw eBay "NM" right now? $6000?

Anyone who thinks this price explosion makes sense is likely in for a hard landing. 

001 (515).jpg

Look at this chart. The book was flat for 20 years before the hockey stick hit! lol

image.png

List it as a 9.7 candidate.  6k easy 

8 hours ago, BrooksR said:

This is unbelievable... a 8.0 W sold for 3k a few day ago.  :whatthe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-94-1975-CGC-8-0-New-X-Men-Team-Storm-Colossus-Nightcrawler-Wolverine/124663716320?hash=item1d068959e0:g:QdAAAOSwfG5gZmQy

18 hours ago, october said:

Zero chance that hits 9.0 or better. 

LOT and I mean a LOT of dumb money sloshing around in the hobby right now. 

I'm not a shill bidding conspiracy theorist on the regular, but it looks like there may have been some shilling bidding around the 2100 dollar bids, up to the 3400 dollar bids, though in the end, the winner and the runners up appear to be organic bidders.  But regardless, that book does come close to a 9.0, under any circumstances.

The thing about 94, and how in the end it might be a tougher grade than a GSX 1, is that cover, properly colored, is unforgiving in terms of spine breaks, ticks, and wear.  The squarebound nature of the binding of the GSX 1 saved alot of those imperfections that you can't skate by with the 94 (this doesnt take into the horribly pressed GSX 1s which some person_without_enough_empathy made into a regular bound book).

Edited by bluehorseshoe

The Terapeak seach engine now free, way better than Watchcount:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Terapeak-Product-Research-is-now-free-to-all-sellers/ba-p/31797231?fbclid=IwAR3zVvm534waB6cEL3ABjDCLfYalIvsn3lzKS6EGIOTZgCif_uZoXkMeBHU

The GSX 1 9.6 (white pages) that went off last night was for a $28,250.00 best offer.