• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men Pages up on Heritage

13 posts in this topic

Could anyone please post pictures of these X-men pages that are due up on Heritage?

...I don't currently have access to my books to check. Thanks in advance!

-Will

X-Men #139 Kitty Pryde Page 12 Original Art...Kitty Pryde stars in every panel of this Modern masterwork, and Professor X, and Ororo also cameo.

X-Men#119 Page 30 Original Art...This character-rich wind-up page showcases Byrne's talent for heartwarming characterization, with jolly portraits of the whole team in their civilian disguises

The X-Men #135 Original Art (Marvel, 1980). Seen here is the moment when Lilandra declares that Dark Phoenix must be punished -- any X-Men fan knows all too well how that turned out.

Jack Kirby, Werner Roth, and Ayers X-Men #15 Sentinels Page 8 Original Art

No pics, but I just took a look at my Byrne Essentials edition: not too many characters in costume on those pages.

The 139 page has one panel of Kitty in her costume talking to Professor X. Then a couple panels of her in plainclothes phasing through a door.

The 135 page has a shot of the Phoenix force on it.

With Byrne prices seemingly on the rise, can someone give me an indication of a likely price point for a panel page featuring only one X-Men character not in costume, with no action at all.

Thanks

With Byrne prices seemingly on the rise, can someone give me an indication of a likely price point for a panel page featuring only one X-Men character not in costume, with no action at all.

Thanks

It depends on the page - who's the one X-Man, who are the supporting characters (if any), is anything of significance going on, etc. I'm going to say around $4,000-$5,000, but it would really depend on the content. The thing about Byrne X-Men ages is that even the pages that might normally be considered "filler" are still mostly beautiful to look at...there can't be many pages in the entire run that would fetch less than $4K at this point I would think, no matter what is on the page.

I have a page from that book and it seems to be more Kirby than Roth. They are both credited with pencils in the comic. It's also the second appearance of the sentinels. The only thing I'm really surprised about is that it's 3k so soon with no x men. Dealers are selling early Roth x men without Kirby for 2k +

There are people that really like that first Sentinels saga (#14-16) and are willing to pay more just because of the storyline. Additional, issues #12 & 13 were the first Juggernaut so a premium are paid for those. So, you do find that pages from the Kirby layout issues fall somewhere between the price of the full Kirby issues and the Roth issues.

Frankly, there weren't a lot of classic X-Men issues in the Roth years - #28 (1st Banshee) and #35 (Spider-man app.) were probably the most notable, but neither of those books have been broken up so you won't see comparable prices on them.

I think for the X-Men, #1 - #66, it's less about the artist(s), and more about the age of the title and collectability as the baseline for value.

Then factor in artists like Neal Adams, Jim Steranko, Barry Smith and Jack Kirby, and that's an added premium.

As for 1st appearance issues aside from a few sidekick mutants like Polaris (#49), Banshee (#28) and some cool villains, Sentinels (#14), Juggernaut (#12) most of the stories were pretty lackluster as was the artwork, but it's still nearly 50 year old artwork of a popular title, so it warrants automatic high valuation based on popularity.

I once tracked all of the X-MEN #1 pages sold on Heritage when the book was broken up and was surprised how, for the 1st Appearance and #1 issue of such characters, the pages generally went for a pretty low amount. I do think the prices were low because the pages flooded the market as opposed to being sold one at a time over the course of several years. I'm not sure what a page from X-Men #1 would generally sell for today.