• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few Comic Art Collecting Questions - Blank Covers?

5 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm new to collecting comic book art and have a few questions.

At this past NYCC, I picked up a blank Adventure Time cover and had Yanick Paquette do a cover with Swamp Thing and the AT characters (see link below to see image). I love the idea of using blank covers as they are small enough to build a nice collection. It also allows for me to obtain nice pieces from more than a couple of artists at a Con b/c I can leave a blank with each artist (vs taking a sketch book around to each).

Due to the limited number of blank titles, I'm wondering if anybody has purchased and can recommend blank comic books to use. I don't like the idea of a single paper b/c of the fact that its flimsy. Anybody have recommendations or thoughts?

I was also thinking about stepping up and getting original pages (which I've read are 11x17). What are you guys using to store your 11x17 pieces? It seems appealing to get pages from actual books but I wouldn't have the room to display a boatload of images, framed on the walls.

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts and time! I hope you are doing well!

Here is a link to the image of the Paquette:

OA doesn't have half as much appeal to me if I can't display it. Wouldn't want it gathering dust... but most people use Itoya portfolios. Have a search you should find a few threads on it.

Take your time.

I would suggest checking out the Signature Series Forum area in order to gain so added insight on blank comic art. A lot of us over there tend to post our images up and even conduct a little best of the best competition with one another.

As for blanks to use, the consensus from what I see is that when doing pencil and ink sketches usually any blank cover will do. The problem comes up when your wanting to add color. For those I believe the consensus is that DC makes the all around better covers for the newer age which seeing as you have a swamp thing maybe a good thing...

1380693_10151745802247736_1152230577_n_zps4c15b8c7.jpg

Marvel on the other hand has the Bloody X-Men #1 blank...

1379248_10151745302687736_1153293742_n_zps5b38c251.jpg

which is the chosen favorite but the new Marvel Now blanks have begun to really hold up well...

SpiralNYCC13_zps096375c2.jpg

As for OA, I usually try to frame things up, but have invested in a portfolio case that holds them all the same.

I would suggest checking out the Signature Series Forum area in order to gain so added insight on blank comic art. A lot of us over there tend to post our images up and even conduct a little best of the best competition with one another.

As for blanks to use, the consensus from what I see is that when doing pencil and ink sketches usually any blank cover will do. The problem comes up when your wanting to add color. For those I believe the consensus is that DC makes the all around better covers for the newer age which seeing as you have a swamp thing maybe a good thing...

1380693_10151745802247736_1152230577_n_zps4c15b8c7.jpg

Marvel on the other hand has the Bloody X-Men #1 blank...

1379248_10151745302687736_1153293742_n_zps5b38c251.jpg

which is the chosen favorite but the new Marvel Now blanks have begun to really hold up well...

SpiralNYCC13_zps096375c2.jpg

As for OA, I usually try to frame things up, but have invested in a portfolio case that holds them all the same.

Thanks for the reply - can you share a link to the type of portfolio cases you use?

Those pieces are incredible! Do you have them done outside of Cons?

You can buy portfolios from art supply sites such as Blick or some OA dealers have them. The Itoya 11x17 is the cheapest route, but I like the leather bound/zipper/binder-style portfolio for my favorite pieces.

Itoyas:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016IUOCO?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

A top loader is a good inexpensive display option too & they come in a variety of sizes (comic size up to over 24x36)

http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=1406