• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 4th World

67 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2013 at 6:12 AM, jools&jim said:

Quick update:

I'm about mid-way through re-reading the entire saga in publication order (for probably the 3rd of 4th time since the 1980s!), and am once again amazed by how gripping, powerful, energetic, incendiary, and thought-provoking it all is.

There are moments when it seems like Jack is making it all up on the fly, and moments when it feels very much like he knows (and has known all along) exactly where he's going and exactly how to get there. And it's precisely this monthly/bi-monthly tension between aspiration and execution which is both exhilarating and, sometimes, frustrating. But great art is often like that, or so I'm told.

And then there's the matter of Jack's "writing", which is often understood to be synonymous with "dialogue" (as if that were somehow more important than plot, narrative structure, and the larger creative vision which fuels the entire work), and which is often (unfairly in my view) maligned by critics as "stilted" or "unrealistic".

To each his own, I guess. But last night, I ran across this sequence in Forever People #7, in which the younger residents of New Genesis are petitioning Highfather on behalf of the wayward Forever People who, against all sound advice to the contrary, have become embroiled in the war of the Gods, and whose fate (death or worse) is still very much up in the air after their encounter with Darkseid's "Omega Force"...

JK-FP-dialogue.jpg

It has been said (justifiably) that Kirby's dialogue in this series is "operatic", by which (I think) it is meant that it conveys big ideas broadly and simply, but not simplistically.

In the case of the last 3 panels on this page in particular, I think "Biblical" or "poetic" is much closer to the mark:

These lines say as much about the temporal and the eternal as anything I've ever read in Wordsworth, Eliot, or Yeats, and should get extra credit for appearing, unvarnished, in such a debased medium as comic books. They do Homer & Tolkien proud as well. In another setting, I also can't imagine Stan Lee writing a single word of it.

May YHWH bless you Jack...you were and still are the real thing...

Fourth world is a pretty good contender for best comic ever in my book.

I love Kirby's 4th world.  Was one of the first comics I was introduced to as a kid.  Was a big Supes fan at the time and that's how I wounded up with the Jimmy O's.  By the time I got to New Gods 8, I was completely hooked.  I had made an attempt to collect this run a few years back, but gave up when New Gods 7 exploded to ridiculous levels do to the BvS movie hype.  Steppenwolf?  Really?  No way.  

Anyway, I wounded up getting the Omnibus and couldn't be happier.  

jimmy134+omnibus.jpg 

Still, I wouldn't mind having a high grade copy of Mister Miracle 4 (love Barda).

On 7/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, Brian48 said:

I love Kirby's 4th world.  Was one of the first comics I was introduced to as a kid.  Was a big Supes fan at the time and that's how I wounded up with the Jimmy O's.  By the time I got to New Gods 8, I was completely hooked.  I had made an attempt to collect this run a few years back, but gave up when New Gods 7 exploded to ridiculous levels do to the BvS movie hype.  Steppenwolf?  Really?  No way.  

Anyway, I wounded up getting the Omnibus and couldn't be happier.  

jimmy134+omnibus.jpg 

Still, I wouldn't mind having a high grade copy of Mister Miracle 4 (love Barda).

Love the cover to JO 134 even without Darkseid on it.  I remember you picking that Fantucchio copy for a dang good price.  If I didn't have a few copies already, I would have made you pay more.  :baiting:

I actually came very close to flipping it before they even shipped it to me.  CL emailed me immediately after I won the auction and offered me $400 to release it to another buyer who really loved the Fantis. First time that has ever happened to me.