• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spawn comics low print?

26 posts in this topic

I've done some pretty extensive research on this very topic. Allow me to display my uber-nerdiness with a chart. :)

spawnsaleschart.jpg

You can also consult my registry - I've included estimated print runs for each issue. Check the comic descriptions. I used comichron.com as source material.

My Spawn Registry

Spawn 18 and 21 were low distribution issues - but there are still a bazillion of them. For example, I personally own over 100 copies of issue 21 myself. :insane:

The print runs only get lower and lower. I have the top registry set and I'm having an absolute nightmare of a time sourcing high grade copies in the 150-184 range.

Basically, the higher the issue number - the rarer the comic...generally speaking. "Anniversary" titles are the exception here.

The fact is that some Spawn comics are exceedingly difficult to find in high grade, and if you haven't noticed, the asking prices you see are starting to reflect this. Why? Lower print runs for one. Number two, people shoved them into quarter bins thus increasing damage to covers that are oftentimes quite dark. This makes high-grade copies pretty difficult.

Don't believe that it's hard? Go looking and get back to me. Go looking because I want them...badly!

Please do...if you guys find any 9.8 candidates that I need I will definitely scoop them up and make your troubles worthwhile.

in the 100s the print-runs are way down vs. 10 years earlier.

the "low print run" of 18 and 21 was likely 500,000 copies rather than 750,000

Yeah, nowadays, "low print run" generally indicates less than 10,000 copies (very roughly).

Based on the current understanding of "low print run", none of the Spawn books have a low print run, other than maybe the black and white cover of #1 (which is actually a reprint).

in the 100s the print-runs are way down vs. 10 years earlier.

the "low print run" of 18 and 21 was likely 500,000 copies rather than 750,000

Yeah, nowadays, "low print run" generally indicates less than 10,000 copies (very roughly).

Based on the current understanding of "low print run", none of the Spawn books have a low print run, other than maybe the black and white cover of #1 (which is actually a reprint).

There are tons of Spawn books that are far rarer than Spawn 1 B&W. Tons.

Spawn 185 black and white (print run of 60), Spawn 185 headless, Spawn 222 Kudranski Variant, Spawn 200 Finch Sketch....the list goes on and on.

I've done some pretty extensive research on this very topic. Allow me to display my uber-nerdiness with a chart. :)

spawnsaleschart.jpg

You can also consult my registry - I've included estimated print runs for each issue. Check the comic descriptions. I used comichron.com as source material.

My Spawn Registry

Spawn 18 and 21 were low distribution issues - but there are still a bazillion of them. For example, I personally own over 100 copies of issue 21 myself. :insane:

The print runs only get lower and lower. I have the top registry set and I'm having an absolute nightmare of a time sourcing high grade copies in the 150-184 range.

Basically, the higher the issue number - the rarer the comic...generally speaking. "Anniversary" titles are the exception here.

The fact is that some Spawn comics are exceedingly difficult to find in high grade, and if you haven't noticed, the asking prices you see are starting to reflect this. Why? Lower print runs for one. Number two, people shoved them into quarter bins thus increasing damage to covers that are oftentimes quite dark. This makes high-grade copies pretty difficult.

Don't believe that it's hard? Go looking and get back to me. Go looking because I want them...badly!

I bought this series up until somewhere in the 200s. I stopped reading it really early on....so I may have really nice unread, unopened copies of those issues. :hi::headbang: If you can forward a bag o cash I will send you the whole thing being as I don't like it or understand why I collected it for years. :insane:

On 10/21/2013 at 10:49 PM, newshane said:

Please do...if you guys find any 9.8 candidates that I need I will definitely scoop them up and make your troubles worthwhile.

What numbers are you looking for? Have plenty of 9.8 candidates, IMHO.

4 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2013 at 7:49 PM, newshane said:

What numbers are you looking for? Have plenty of 9.8 candidates, IMHO.

Of course the guy still might be looking for spawns, but the post you quoted is from almost six years ago.