• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab-Pro is a thief

205 posts in this topic

WOW, that really stinks.

He seemed like a nice guy...even sent me a few free slab pros and I bought 10..he threw in some more for free.

Perhaps he should have stuck to slab pro and not dealing with comics. hm

Another one bites the dust

I'll never understand guys who start up a business based on a forum of potential buyers and then proceed to mess up relationships with stuff like this.

Another example was on a Van Halen forum I belong to...(yes I'm a huge classic VH fan) and there was a guy on there building exact replica VH striped guitars. Right down to the relic wear and burn marks....it was amazing. I had to own one. I ordered one and the guy sent me the guitar on time (looked incredible but weighed a ton...too heavy to really play). Well a few months goes by and ends up he took a whole bunch of people for money as he had a big influx of orders...ended up going belly up because he couldn't handle all the work and I think he still owes people money.

The same ASM 28 is now up on ComicLink. He listed it as an old label 9.0 that is being reholdered. I have the label in front of me if anyone needs proof.

Avoid this guy. His EBay seller name is gardenia126

Looks like John (Slab-Pro) has fully imploded. I was informed by another board member he purchased a certain ASM 28 that was a guaranteed 9.4 book. When he asked me my opinion on the book I told him no way it would get a 9.4. The more I looked at the scan on eBay the more I realized who's book it was.

I had worked on an ASM 28 for slab-pro that was in a 9.0 holder and we discussed its upgraded potential. After a few emails back and forth it was Johns decision to crack the book out and do a CPR on it. When I took the book out of the holder I realized it had some moisture marks on it and knew it had no shot, but by then it was too late. I sent it in hoping. I lost. It not only didn't get the bump, it downgraded to an 8.5. This was the book John listed on eBay as a guaranteed 9.4. I still have the old CGC label to prove it as well as the emails discussing the books.

Book is sent out to get pressed again and submitted against the owners wishes under a different account...he wanted it submitted under his CGC account. Book comes back as a 9.0, not the 9.4 he was guaranteed. To date the board member has no book (was not submitted under his account remember) and no money after repeated attempts to contact slab-pro.

His failure to make good on what he owes me and what he owes this other board member, along with the deception of an 8.5 cracked out slab being a "guaranteed" 9.4 makes him worth of the hall of shame.

I have never said this about any other dealer/collector or board member but he needs to be avoided like the plague.

Why are my ears ringing? It came back an 8.0 if we're talking about the same book and was a guaranteed 9.2. I later found out it was a CP 8.5 and I was the one that added the R. I didn't even open the package. I cut it, slipped the CGC papers in it, and sent it off. I was out shipping x2 and whatever the fastest turn-around time for CGC was (around $70?). He did refund the original ASM 23 amount. What was supposed to be a $1200 GPA book turned out to be a $250 GPA book. I was just glad to get my money back. It's in his feedback as a neutral.

Losing hope in fellow board members? I've had a board member mail me a 9k book and tell me to pay when I get it. I would hate to lose that level of trust among us.

CMPunkRAW7.jpg

eBay seller: gardenia126 is obviously SlabPro

Both live in Nesconset, New York and with this thread I missed a couple months back it confirms my assumption.

Slap Pro is a crook and a scumbag piece of trash.

His auctions have all the red flags that Slab Pro could possibly be cracking out 8.5-9.0 CGC graded books and pawning them off as higher grades to unsuspected eBay buyers.

All this auctions are the same guaranteeing his "raw" books will come back the assigned CGC grade or your money back. So he is of course is hoping the person that is buying the over graded book is not an astute grader or will not be submitting the book to CGC. His logic would be at worse he receives a return back and just sells the over graded book to another eBay buyer that hopefully isn't as educated as the previous buyer.

If you go here to his completed auctions over the past couple months you can tell he has relisted the same Hulk #181, and ASM 129 a multiple times.

Slab Pro/ gardenia126 "sold eBay items"

Look how bad this photo is enhanced to hide the obvious 9.0/9.2 defects

House of Secrets 92 Unrestored Guaranteed Grade CGC 9.6/9.8

One more example of a clear 8.5/9.0 advertised as being higher.

Marvel Spotlight 5 Unrestored Guaranteed Grade CGC 9.6

Now to most of us we would right away see all the red flags that would make his auctions shady as all hell, but many innocent comic buyers do not have our educated knowledge.

Anybody agree with what I saying or want to chime in on this situation?

SOT

CMPunkRAW7.jpg

eBay seller: gardenia126 is obviously SlabPro

Both live in Nesconset, New York and with this thread I missed a couple months back it confirms my assumption.

Slap Pro is a crook and a scumbag piece of trash.

His auctions have all the red flags that Slab Pro could possibly be cracking out 8.5-9.0 CGC graded books and pawning them off as higher grades to unsuspected eBay buyers.

All this auctions are the same guaranteeing his "raw" books will come back the assigned CGC grade or your money back. So he is of course is hoping the person that is buying the over graded book is not an astute grader or will not be submitting the book to CGC. His logic would be at worse he receives a return back and just sells the over graded book to another eBay buyer that hopefully isn't as educated as the previous buyer.

If you go here to his completed auctions over the past couple months you can tell he has relisted the same Hulk #181, and ASM 129 a multiple times.

Slab Pro/ gardenia126 "sold eBay items"

Look how bad this photo is enhanced to hide the obvious 9.0/9.2 defects

House of Secrets 92 Unrestored Guaranteed Grade CGC 9.6/9.8

One more example of a clear 8.5/9.0 advertised as being higher.

Marvel Spotlight 5 Unrestored Guaranteed Grade CGC 9.6

Now to most of us we would right away see all the red flags that would make his auctions shady as all hell, but many innocent comic buyers do not have our educated knowledge.

Anybody agree with what I saying or want to chime in on this situation?

SOT

Wow, maybe this is GIJOEISAWSOME, too.

Not the guy who had ladies soliciting EVERYONE in the VIP line at WWChicago last year trying to get their Walking Dead variants and "trade" them with another since they had two anyways (yet they always seemed to want to trade for the B&W).

I just logged on and read the Spidermanontilt thread and I was the person that bought the ASM 23. At the time, the scan looked like it could be a 9-9.2. I had to use that free voucher from CGC so I figured what the hell all I would really be out is postage and the virtual value of the grading coupon plus other books I was sending out. I’ve bought books where the seller said it was near mint, like an ASM 129 for $400 that came back as a 9.6 white, so it’s not like I haven’t taken shots like this before. Most were too good to be true and I simply just sent them back. This one however got my curiosity because he was guaranteeing a grade.

When I got it, it was not a 9.2. My grading skills at that point put it at an 8.5 to a 9 if it was a gift grade. Rules are rules, I sent it to CGC within hours to see what it would come back as. Tick-tock and the cutoff was getting close, but CGC posted the grade as an 8.0 with two days to spare. I started to look at his feedback and realized that most of the feedbacks were on receipt of the book and not delayed like mine was waiting on a grade. One email later the seller said he would accept the comic back.

Of course the seller flipped out because I left him a neutral. Other people had to know what happened; that’s what feedback is about. I also drilled the CGC registration number out so the slab was useless. He was not happy about that neutral and said the he cracked out an 8.5 and had it pressed. All of the other books he sold came back on spot as the grade he said they would be. I didn’t mention that his feedbacks were too close for any real grades from CGC because it was a small blip on my radar. He sold me a 9.2, it came back an 8, he agreed to refund the money, then he got a neutral. What’s the problem? He also stated that CGC is being too tight on grades, etc, etc. I think my feedback was very accurate and should have warned other potential buyers that all that glitters isn’t gold.

I’ve done this a few times. Most recently with a piece of art. I bought two $2500 serigraphs and on receipt, they weren’t even serigraphs. They were computer generated prints on nice paper. The seller has 5000 feedbacks, all positive. I paid under $100 each for them; no big loss on my end. I looked into the sellers company, the website, and found that it’s a bunch of companies run by a single person in California. Do I demand a refund? No, I have a better idea. I put together as much information as I could and sent it off to the FBI Art Theft Bureau in California; they deal with fraud crossing state lines. I knew 99% that these were going to be fakes and I bought them with the intent that if they were, he/she was getting at least shut down and hopefully be facing a ton of felonies. If you add up all of the art sold, averaging prices from different accounts, these individuals are organized and have made over 2-milion selling what are probably fakes, but their feedbacks are all positive.

I think that “Only came back as CGC 8.0 seller will refund. Out grading and shipping fees only: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 23 9.2 GUARANTEED UNRESTORED (#271139963043)” was more than an appropriate deterrent for potential buyers to think before they bid. Was I out grading fees? Yes and no, but he seller didn’t want to even entertain the idea of compensation. His claim was that he lost a lot of money on this book and ended it like that…