• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

"I'm not sold on 39. Is there a similar book to relate to? i.e. last appearance as so-and-so"

Clearly right now the market agrees with you, but this is Robin...we're talking about 45 years of this character.

But in a sense you're right, he just changed his name and costume (so why is #44 such a big deal? the folks at OPG didn't think so until this last year...). Had he actually retired outright, then it's different, but that never happens. Hal Jordan could only stay away from the Green Lantern job for like 18 issues. Of course, Hal Jordan had only been GL for 20something years.

Maybe something close was dumb hulk turning into smart hulk, but that was a process that took place over like 50 issues or something. Is hulk dumb again? I haven't been keeping up.

X-Men 317 ( second print),

:shrug:

Yeah, I don't believe there was a second print for 317. There was a version with a red bar instead of a holo-foil (or something special) bar down the right-hand side of the front cover. It was either the newsstand version or just a non-special cover.

Yes, that was the "standard" version, with a cover price $1 less than the "Deluxe" holo-foil cover. Not a newsstand, however, as the newsstand I worked at when this came out got the Deluxe version.

-slym

Once again I have stumbled. Please forgive me.

X-Men 317 ( second print),

:shrug:

Yeah, I don't believe there was a second print for 317. There was a version with a red bar instead of a holo-foil (or something special) bar down the right-hand side of the front cover. It was either the newsstand version or just a non-special cover.

Yes, that was the "standard" version, with a cover price $1 less than the "Deluxe" holo-foil cover. Not a newsstand, however, as the newsstand I worked at when this came out got the Deluxe version.

-slym

Once again I have stumbled. Please forgive me.

It helped us all stumble into what exactly that red version was. (thumbs u

So the red version is not rare or anything...dunno what the split was vs. regular and "deluxe" back then, but my shop seemed to be 50/50, maybe leaning toward more of the regular. admittedly, when iused to fish this issue out of bins i would go for the deluxe, it's shinier.

but from what i read there's still maybe a newstand version out there?

"I'm not sold on 39. Is there a similar book to relate to? i.e. last appearance as so-and-so"

Clearly right now the market agrees with you, but this is Robin...we're talking about 45 years of this character.

But in a sense you're right, he just changed his name and costume (so why is #44 such a big deal? the folks at OPG didn't think so until this last year...). Had he actually retired outright, then it's different, but that never happens. Hal Jordan could only stay away from the Green Lantern job for like 18 issues. Of course, Hal Jordan had only been GL for 20something years.

Maybe something close was dumb hulk turning into smart hulk, but that was a process that took place over like 50 issues or something. Is hulk dumb again? I haven't been keeping up.

NTT 39 is also the retirement of Wally West as Kid Flash. The storyline at the time involved his speed powers causing intense pain due to being exposed to the lightning as a child. This all got changed during Crisis on Infinite Earths, but it is still effectively the end of Wally West as Kid Flash. It also has a white cover, which can be harder to find in high grade.

Definitely not a candidate to put your kids through college, but I think it's fair to say "overlooked and potentially undervalued."

New_Teen_Titans_Vol_1_39.jpg

I'll post one.

So Uncanny X-Men 282 has been heating up in CGC 9.8, mainly due to added attention the movie news brought. So...

Why hasn't Uncanny X-Men 317? She will also be featured in the movie...

282 has gne up in value? It's been quarter bin fodder for years.

I'll post one.

So Uncanny X-Men 282 has been heating up in CGC 9.8, mainly due to added attention the movie news brought. So...

eBay :gossip:

Yep... buy Hulk 182 because Hulk 181 is too expensive. :grin:

That’s not a good comparision term. To read the story properly you need both Hulk #181 and #182, while Deadpool is pretty much a "post-Marvel Age" character – all on his own, and his first appearances are not so necessary for someone who likes the current stories, IMO.

That is Sting, not Constantine.

That's what I've always thought, but...

I've posted about this several times so I apologize to everyone. All of the guys were at the CCE a couple of years ago, and discussed this at length at their panel. They discussed that they were obsessed with Sting and wanted to create a character based upon him. They snuck the 1st drawing in as an inside joke, but they had been discussing it so much that Moore made the Constantine character fit their desires. They made it pretty clear that they thought it would be revisionist history to call the Sting cameo a Constantine appearance, as the Constantine material hadn't even been written at the time they did it.

But if the markets thinks so, it won't matter much what those guys say. :)

I'll post one.

Over the past couple of months, I've sold 3-5 raw NM Uncanny #282s for $8-10 each.

Edited by Jeffreykli

I'll post one.

Over the past couple of months, I've sold 3-5 raw NM Uncanny #282s for $8-10 each.

:o It is almost up to New Mutants (vol 1) #1 price levels.

Swamp_Thing_Vol_2_25.jpg

:whistle:

"Secret" first Constantine... nice. (thumbs u

Now I disagree this book will touch the value of 37 - every time I've doubted RMA's picks I've been wrong so I'm going to have to add to the pile.

If you see that book in a dollar box in decent shape you should buy it anyway regardless of sting/constantine, but as an early moore swampy!

my 2010 OPG says it's constantine...not that it's right