• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

That is Sting, not Constantine.

That's what I've always thought, but...

I've posted about this several times so I apologize to everyone. All of the guys were at the CCE a couple of years ago, and discussed this at length at their panel. They discussed that they were obsessed with Sting and wanted to create a character based upon him. They snuck the 1st drawing in as an inside joke, but they had been discussing it so much that Moore made the Constantine character fit their desires. They made it pretty clear that they thought it would be revisionist history to call the Sting cameo a Constantine appearance, as the Constantine material hadn't even been written at the time they did it.

But if the markets thinks so, it won't matter much what those guys say. :)

I think the market has already determined this. It's as important as surrounding early Moore issues, but not as a Constantine cameo.

I'll post one.

So Uncanny X-Men 282 has been heating up in CGC 9.8, mainly due to added attention the movie news brought. So...

Why hasn't Uncanny X-Men 317? She will also be featured in the movie...

282 has gne up in value? It's been quarter bin fodder for years.

eBay :gossip:

Silly me, I shouldn't have given away all of my 282s over the past few Halloween's. doh!

How many hundreds of thousands were printed?

X-Men 317 ( second print),

:shrug:

Yeah, I don't believe there was a second print for 317. There was a version with a red bar instead of a holo-foil (or something special) bar down the right-hand side of the front cover. It was either the newsstand version or just a non-special cover.

Yes, that was the "standard" version, with a cover price $1 less than the "Deluxe" holo-foil cover. Not a newsstand, however, as the newsstand I worked at when this came out got the Deluxe version.

-slym

Once again I have stumbled. Please forgive me.

It helped us all stumble into what exactly that red version was. (thumbs u

Blob - nothing to be forgiven for! :)

Also, here is a "regular" version of UXM 317 for $1 on eBay - looks good, too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCANNY-X-MEN-317-ungraded-/111187131352?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19e344fbd8

-slym

Swamp_Thing_Vol_2_25.jpg

:whistle:

"Secret" first Constantine... nice. (thumbs u

Now I disagree this book will touch the value of 37 - every time I've doubted RMA's picks I've been wrong so I'm going to have to add to the pile.

If you see that book in a dollar box in decent shape you should buy it anyway regardless of sting/constantine, but as an early moore swampy!

my 2010 OPG says it's constantine...not that it's right

:whistle:

I think we will have a good idea of the potential of overlooked copper/moderns once we see more numbers of slabbed books like Batman adventures #12!

seems like every day I'm noticing more Batman Adventures adventures 9.6's and 9.8's appear on the census.

I imagine we'll see a steady rise in numbers next few years because there are likely several hundred 9.8's (especially considering pressing) of BA#12 floating around out there.

Then on one side of the spectrum we have books like X-men 282 and ASM 361 which are enduring the test of time, print run in the millions and boarded/bagged since they were printed.

Time will tell but I like

Web of Spiderman 118/119 -the parker clone thing seems to work in the books (see Venom, Carnage,and Scarlet Spider)

low print spawn books (issues 120ish and up, especially 170's-190's)

Perez Teen titans first appearance stuff is undervalued as well. DC comics 26, Teen Titans 44, teen titans #2 etc... its a proven formula that works for cartoons and I totally see the younger generations collecting this stuff years from now with more disposable income.

I also think all the low print run Valiant books (early Rai and Harbinger) are vastly under valued.. these print runs were under 10,000 (for harbinger 1-5,and rai 2-4 if I remember correctly) . And quite honestly these copper gems changed collecting in ways similar to ASM #300 in their time. They are also proving timeless!

Early Gaiman material has potential but everyone horded early vertigo by the truckload back when so its easy to find, however there are gems like sandman #8..

my 2 cents..

Edit; the reason Web of Spiderman 118/119 should be considered right now is due to upcoming Scarlet Spider #25 and the hugely successful Superior Spiderman. Marvel is basically combining Venom and Scarlet Spider into 1 Superior Scarlet Venom style book, thus it is rumored and likely Kaine (aka Scarlet Spider) is about to become Venom, too, given the solicitation previews we've been getting

Superior Scarlet Venom will likely be a huge success story for marvel.

Edited by sonicyouth

I also think all the low print run Valiant books (early Rai and Harbinger) are vastly under valued.. these print runs were under 10,000 (for harbinger 1-5,and rai 2-4 if I remember correctly) .

The print runs weren't that low on the early issues, but compared to the books out at the time (X-Men #1 and such) it seemed that way. The rarest non-variant pre-Unity book is Rai #3 with a claimed total print run of ~28,000 with Rai #4 being next with claims of ~30,000 printed. It has been argued those numbers are low by about 5-7000, but even 35,000 is relatively low.

The print runs on the last issues that made it to the end of the Voyager Entertainment-based VALIANT run are smaller than the early ones, many with less than 10K I believe.

Check out Greg Holland (valiantman's) site, it has a comprehensive price guide and well-researched print runs - http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/guide.asp

-slym

I also think all the low print run Valiant books (early Rai and Harbinger) are vastly under valued.. these print runs were under 10,000 (for harbinger 1-5,and rai 2-4 if I remember correctly).

The 'low' print run Rai's (2 - 5) and Harbingers (2 - 6) had a print run of 35,000 - 40,000. My source is http://www.valiantfan.com.

By today's standard, most months, these comics would be in the top 50 titles ordered for the month.

It's also safe to say, most of these comics were preserved in high grade, as the Valiant buzz saw many of these comics being sought out and bought up for their investment potential.

I also think all the low print run Valiant books (early Rai and Harbinger) are vastly under valued.. these print runs were under 10,000 (for harbinger 1-5,and rai 2-4 if I remember correctly) .

The print runs weren't that low on the early issues, but compared to the books out at the time (X-Men #1 and such) it seemed that way. The rarest non-variant pre-Unity book is Rai #3 with a claimed total print run of ~28,000 with Rai #4 being next with claims of ~30,000 printed. It has been argued those numbers are low by about 5-7000, but even 35,000 is relatively low.

The print runs on the last issues that made it to the end of the Voyager Entertainment-based VALIANT run are smaller than the early ones, many with less than 10K I believe.

Check out Greg Holland (valiantman's) site, it has a comprehensive price guide and well-researched print runs - http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/guide.asp

-slym

Beat me too it. :D

Magnus Robot Fighter 64 14,000

Solar, Man of the Atom 60 14,000

X-O Manowar 68 15,000

Bloodshot 51 9,000

It appears the Bloodshot final issues did dip below the 10K mark. These numbers are actually higher than the current Valiant's numbers for most of their titles, at least for the month of September.

Edited by rjrjr

Early and late Valiant books were low print relative to Marvel, DC, Image at the time.

Mid-year Valiant books (1993-1994) are mostly as high or higher than Marvel/DC.

The easiest thing to do would be to look at the later 1990s Valiant books and just collect the lowest print... but many of those books weren't very good by those issues.

Meanwhile, the earliest 1990s Valiant books were the reason that anyone cared about Valiant in the first place.

The art, stories, first appearances, etc., as well as being lower print than Marvel/DC/Image.

If the only thing that makes a book valuable is a low print run, it's just a matter of time until they print fewer for the same title.

By the time you get to (modern variant) books that are 100 copies or 10 copies... you're at the end of the "lowest print run" scenarios.

Somewhere along the way, someone WILL finally ask... "Is the book any good?"

-slym

X-O Manowar 68 15,000

Bloodshot 51 9,000

It appears the Bloodshot final issues did dip below the 10K mark. These numbers are actually higher than the current Valiant's numbers for most of their titles, at least for the month of September.

There is no reason not to grab these anytime you see them and they do show up in dollar bins:

Last few issues of,

magnus, eternal warrior, solar, turok, harbinger, bloodshot and x-o

Rai 33

Shadowman 43

I don't know about the print runs for last issues of Hard Corps or Ninjak?

There are a lot of newsstands too and they are rare as f**k. So are

any of the 2.50 cover price variants ( visitor vs the valiant universe ) etc.

Edited by MrWeen

-slym

X-O Manowar 68 15,000

Bloodshot 51 9,000

There is no reason not to grab these anytime you see them and they do show up in dollar bins:

Last few issues of,

magnus, eternal warrior, solar, turok, harbinger, bloodshot and x-o

Rai 33

Shadowman 43

I don't know about the print runs for last issues of Hard Corps or Ninjak?

There are a lot of newsstands too and they are rare as f**k. So are

any of the 2.50 cover price variants ( visitor vs the valiant universe ) etc.

Against the advice of even Greg himself, I continue to assemble my box of Valiants :grin:

Booster Gold #1

Good call. Not really valuable book, but I can't find one anywhere. (shrug)

I would also add these as being undervalued.

Batman 307 - 1st Lucis Fox

326 - 1st Arkham Asylum

Flash 300 - Origin of Flash; Origin of Kid Flash; Origin of Mirror Master (Sam Scudder); Origin of Captain Boomerang; Origin of Weather Wizard; Origin of Grodd; Origin of Abra Kadabra; Origin of Heat Wave; Origin of Elongated Man; Origin of Trickster; Wraparound cover

World's Finest 251 - first appearance of Count Vertigio

DC Comics Presents 27 - first Mongul

Edited by comicartfan

Booster Gold #1

326 - 1st Arkham Asylum

Flash 300 - Origin of Flash; Origin of Kid Flash; Origin of Mirror Master (Sam Scudder); Origin of Captain Boomerang; Origin of Weather Wizard; Origin of Grodd; Origin of Abra Kadabra; Origin of Heat Wave; Origin of Elongated Man; Origin of Trickster; Wraparound cover

Good call on DCP 27! The Whitman variant for Batman 307 is tough to find in high grade.

Booster Gold #1

326 - 1st Arkham Asylum

Good call on DCP 27! The Whitman variant for Batman 307 is tough to find in high grade.

If you think that Whitman is difficult, try Batman 324!