• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between Comic Art & Transparency?
2 2

51 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2017 at 11:21 AM, malvin said:

Based on the previous posts, why would you think that it's not a photocopy? 

Malvin 

Whatever it is, it's not for me...that's all I know.

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

Whatever that Dark Knight acetate thingy is, it's not legit.

The ONLY time any acetates were made from the line art was when Lynn Varley used them as she was painting the pages over blue lines.
And I'm the only one selling the painted DK art for Lynn.

These dolts who sell stats and art copied onto acetate.... none of it is legit.

Color keys (used to color proof covers from the 60s) are legit. Those are 4 acetates of 4 colors (Blue, red, yellow, black) and they are far and few between.

The companies did not make copies of the art. Silver prints were made up till the 60s. You can tell those as they are shiny and a heavier weight than regular stats.

Just a bunch of *%!?)*&!! trying to make money off of unknowing collectors.

MI

Edited by artdealer

It used to amaze me that nobody took action against some of these sellers

http://www.ebay.com/sch/leadpink/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

but then comic book art and characters get ripped off every day on everything from toys to paper plates on ebay... you would have to spend so much money to try and fight it all.

2 hours ago, Garf said:

It used to amaze me that nobody took action against some of these sellers

http://www.ebay.com/sch/leadpink/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

but then comic book art and characters get ripped off every day on everything from toys to paper plates on ebay... you would have to spend so much money to try and fight it all.

If you sort it by highest price, you'll see some expensive tragedies inspired by ignorance: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rmvSB=true&_ssn=leadpink&_sop=3

On 5/28/2017 at 4:54 PM, artdealer said:

Whatever that Dark Knight acetate thingy is, it's not legit.

The ONLY time any acetates were made from the line art was when Lynn Varley used them as she was painting the pages over blue lines.
And I'm the only one selling the painted DK art for Lynn.

These dolts who sell stats and art copied onto acetate.... none of it is legit.

Color keys (used to color proof covers from the 60s) are legit. Those are 4 acetates of 4 colors (Blue, red, yellow, black) and they are far and few between.

The companies did not make copies of the art. Silver prints were made up till the 60s. You can tell those as they are shiny and a heavier weight than regular stats.

Just a bunch of *%!?)*&!! trying to make money off of unknowing collectors.

MI

And they're driving down the value of the actual production materials.   I have some original production materials from the 60s and never considered them "art."   To me they were always just, well, production materials.   I have some original stats which show a cover before it was revised, for example.   And those 4 color acetates Marvel used in the 60s make cool display pieces.   Got some stat pages from FF1 which I consider interesting because they're, you know, vintage, which means they predate the original printing of the book.   That's what makes them cool.   Not that they are "art," because they are not really art.

But the value of those things, however undefinable they might already be, is hammered even further when collectors are being scammed by people who make "production art" at Kinkos or on their home printer, then charge more than they're worth, which at best would be a few cents apiece.  

yes. I agree it a shame how people can stoop so low to defraud the public on this so called production art.  I  just hope that ebay will put a stop to this but iam sure they don't care. as they are about making money. I once saw a guy selling covers like this at a comic show and just laughed at him and told him are you serious dude!  he just stood there silent as he knew he was busted. I shook my head and left.

2 hours ago, desertdogg20061 said:

yes. I agree it a shame how people can stoop so low to defraud the public on this so called production art.  I  just hope that ebay will put a stop to this but iam sure they don't care. as they are about making money. I once saw a guy selling covers like this at a comic show and just laughed at him and told him are you serious dude!  he just stood there silent as he knew he was busted. I shook my head and left.

To some degree, the buyer has to take some responsibility too. If you don't educate yourself on what you think you're buying, that comes back to you. A scam requires two willing participants.

Not to take responsibility away from the scammer, but come on. Places like Gallery on Baum managed to sell a lot of fakes to people who failed to do their own due diligence. The current crop of charlatans are probably easier to identify as a scam than the Forgers on Baum were.

Here's a thought. Assume everything is a scam until you can prove to yourself otherwise.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2013 at 6:29 PM, ChadH said:

Hey guys,

I've been looking at some artwork recently to add to my collection and hang up in the ole' man cave. I've been eyeing anything I can find The Dark Knight Returns. I found some cool transparency stuff but was wondering if it's worth purchasing or what the difference between that and the original artwork? Also, if anybody can point me in the right direction for Dark Knight artwork I'd be very thankful!

My suggestion would be to buy one of these instead.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/OCT150238

1 hour ago, Ovrclck said:

Anything from Leadpink is worthless . It's fine if you just want something to put on your wall until it fades, and, since it's probably generated on an inkjet, it will fade.

I recall buying a B&W Avengers cover acetate (for a 1970s cover) many years ago (before I knew better) from Leadpink for about $100 and as soon as I looked at it in hand I noticed the lines were wavy where the comic art lines on the cover were smooth and it just looked hokey.  I emailed them and got the following response.  I then returned it for a full refund.

"The page is production page used by the printer prior to publication to check for proper B/W contrast and quality control, mispellings, broken linework etc, it is a one of a kind proof and or b/w contrast guide I acquired most of these in the 80's and 90's when marvel went digital and no longer used transparency's, stats or paste ups, (not sure about the wavy lines could have been a misprint so to speak) it is the only one I have, but if your not happy I have a money back guarantee on all my items if your not happy I'm not happy I have no problem with a full refund or a 25% partial refund if you would like to keep it, Let me know what you would like to do, Thanks!"

2 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Anything from Leadpink is worthless . It's fine if you just want something to put on your wall until it fades, and, since it's probably generated on an inkjet, it will fade.

I bought it for for my office at work to hang on the wall.  But definitely don't want it fading. 

2 hours ago, malvin said:

At least you only lost ~$35 + shipping.  It could have been worse!

Malvin

True! Thanks Malvin.

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Indeed.

I'd chalk that up as a VERY cheap lesson in OA and production art.

I've seen folks drop hundreds, and even thousands on stuff that is not legit. At least now you know, and even where to ask around if you don't.

Yes sir! 

1 hour ago, Ironmandrd said:

I recall buying a B&W Avengers cover acetate (for a 1970s cover) many years ago (before I knew better) from Leadpink for about $100 and as soon as I looked at it in hand I noticed the lines were wavy where the comic art lines on the cover were smooth and it just looked hokey.  I emailed them and got the following response.  I then returned it for a full refund.

"The page is production page used by the printer prior to publication to check for proper B/W contrast and quality control, mispellings, broken linework etc, it is a one of a kind proof and or b/w contrast guide I acquired most of these in the 80's and 90's when marvel went digital and no longer used transparency's, stats or paste ups, (not sure about the wavy lines could have been a misprint so to speak) it is the only one I have, but if your not happy I have a money back guarantee on all my items if your not happy I'm not happy I have no problem with a full refund or a 25% partial refund if you would like to keep it, Let me know what you would like to do, Thanks!"

You guys are great, I appreciate the advice! :)

Hey I’m reviving this thread. I recently bought what was advertised as an authentic 1954 Strange Tales 28 production art transparency on eBay. Seller offered 2 weeks return. The ad indicated it was from a dead brothers collection.

Anyway - before I researched it on here I bought it.  So I get the transparency and the 2 pieces are tacky and sticking together since apparently the ink was not fully dry. So that’s a big red flag on a supposed 64 year old piece of art. I research on here and see I got suckered. But here is the good part. I advised seller I wanted a refund as comic professionals advised the product was not authentic but rather run off on a printer as a scam.  Seller is going to refund my money but I thought you all might be interested in the response I got from the seller.  I’m not trying to bad mouth anyone I’m just passing on info to fellow collectors -  I’m interested in hearing what you all think about this response  

Here it is 

Sorry for the delay, had a family emergency. Unfortunately your comic book professionals were not entirely honest with you. All of the Production Art Transparency's I have are from one of many collections I've inherited from my brother several years ago. My brother was a avid collector from the age of 5. He lost his home during Hurricane Katrina, but didn't care. He had many first edition comic books there which was worth more than his home. What was left was stored in another location. As a comic collector yourself you will appreciate that his remaining comic collection sold for just shy of $100,000.00.
He traveled extensively to the Los Angeles area and around the nation and would come home with lots of interesting items. More than anything he liked to collect. On several trips to the LA area he went with a few fellow collectors where they found many of these transparencies. Over the years, he studied and collected them. I can assure you they are authentic.  
As I said, I inherited all of his collections and have had to learn at least a bit about them. The hardest to research and learn about has been these transparency. I first showed the transparencies to the 7 dealers who came to appraise his comic collection. Four of the seven told me they were worthless. Two told me to throw them away and two offered to take them off my hands for $100. From the other 3 I heard the same story: Dealers are invested in the extensive comic book collections they already own. They don't want to have compete with another comic medium, the Production Art Transparencies. I later took about 25 to a Comic Con here in New Orleans and spoke to more than 30 dealers who were here. True to what they told me, the comic book dealers told me they were worthless, but all of them offered to buy them for a couple of dollars.

Other dealers with comic books and other comic collectibles pretty much told me what the dealers above told me. Comic book dealers don't want the competition.  
I've sold many outright to Heritage Auction House and to many, many collectors throughout the nation. I've never been accused of "running them off on a printer as a scam." Thats actually laughable as I have difficulty just getting my printer to print a letter and I don't have access to a major printer.  
I can assure you Strange Tales is authentic. I take offense at your accusation, and am sorry that you have been misled.  

I will be happy to refund your money within 2 days once you return the item in good condition, undamaged. You're missing out on a great deal and for that I am sorry.  

End of response  

despite multiple comic dealers telling seller these transparencies are worthless it’s interesting that seller has “sold many outright to Heritage Auction House” - if anyone can confirm this I would be interested in hearing about it  

4 hours ago, Axmen said:

But here is the good part. I advised seller I wanted a refund as comic professionals advised the product was not authentic but rather run off on a printer as a scam.  Seller is going to refund my money but I thought you all might be interested in the response I got from the seller.  I’m not trying to bad mouth anyone I’m just passing on info to fellow collectors -  I’m interested in hearing what you all think about this response  

I think he believes it; he may just be wrong. His comments are too impassioned for me to think it was written by a liar.

5 hours ago, Axmen said:

despite multiple comic dealers telling seller these transparencies are worthless it’s interesting that seller has “sold many outright to Heritage Auction House” - if anyone can confirm this I would be interested in hearing about it  

You can see how many comic art transparencies have been sold on Heritage here:

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=transparency&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515

(hint: 0)