• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 art $600k ??

40 posts in this topic

Agreed. Kirby's layout was simpler & more dynamic by focussing on the central hero. Background was a darkened rooftop sillouette vs busier Ditko ppl background on above pic.

AF 15 cgc 9.6 $160k

AF 15 cgc 9.4 $ 87k.

AF 15 Ditko cover in my dreams & yours. grin.gif

Where did you get this?!?! Does somebody own that artwork?

I heard Kirby did his own version of the interior story before Ditko also...have you ever seen it? I've really been wanting to see it, and you posting this scan of the cover knocked my socks off. I thought maybe that artwork had been destroyed!

I have never seen this image of the Ditko cover to AF #15 either...... It is fantastic. grin.gif

Although I do agree with the above points about the dynamics of Kirbys cover. Or is it that we just being swayed by the fact that the cover is so deep in our conciousness that it is THE cover for AF #15?

Ditko's version certainly says Spider-Man to me more than the Kirby version.

Where did you find this image Odin?

Does the original artwork even exist anymore?

My guess is this is a recreation of his original artwork?

Naah...he probably just drew on a sheet of Marvel board originally intended for a "Tales to Astonish" page (TTA had been published from Jan. 1959).

I own a couple of Marvel original art pages drawn on DC art board. I don't think artists are that picky about what's shown on the edges/margins of the board!

Gene

I like Ditko's cover better...it's pretty similar to Kirby's but uses perspective better. Spidey looks like he's swinging out of the cover towards you.

Does anybody know whether Kirby's original interior artwork still exists?

Don't think Kirby's original AF 15 cvr art still exists otherwise he probably would not have recreated it in pencil & auctioned off the recreation at Sotheby's several yrs ago. Think Diamond has flipped the Kirby recreation for about $10-12k on their website.

The b/w Ditko scan is from Pure Images #1 zine (not in Ostreet). Pure Imagination (circa 1991) also published zine #2 which focussed on origins of FF #1 concept. Don't think they ever came out with issue #3.

I don't think this piece would hit 600k, just for the fact that it was the unused cover.

Since the cover for AF#15 hasn't ever surfaced, I owuld say that the cover art for Fantastic Four #1 would be the most expensive piece of Silver Age art out there.

But speaking of key cover art, I know that the last time I heard of the Hulk #181 cover selling it sold for about $3500 and that was nearly 10 years ago. With a slabbed #181 looking like it will sell for 20k, wonder what that cover would bring now?

Have never heard of the Ditko AF 15 prototype cover art surfacing. Would agree w/ Sean that Kirby's FF 1 cover art which is supposed to EXIST would be the mother of silver age Marvel collectibles.

Trimpe's orig. art to Hulk 181 would probably hit at least $30k which is the level of a good quality Romita Sr ASM/Gr Goblin 1960s cover art. Too many bronze collectors hitting their peak earnings & savings laugh.gif years now.

1 of our newer forum members, McD, would probably know better than I. Most of the hi-end N Adams or J Byrne wink.gif orig. art or covers are privately auctioned with only the Lowry Art List Inner Circle bidding.

I've never heard of a painted N Adams Marvel mag cover selling. Love the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #2 cover.