• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pop Hollinger Rebuilt
1 1

25 posts in this topic

So reading about him, I think it'd be pretty cool to own one of his books for sure. Of course the condition of most of them gives them low values, but it'd still be a cool conversational piece....
I agree, Pop messed with a lot of books but I imagine that many of them would have been lost entirely without him. The work he did was from a different era, he wasn't trying to defraud unsuspecting buyers, he was trying to keep the books in one piece so people could read them. His was one of the first LCS and I appreciate that nostalgia factor.

Iirc he'd take the spines up with paper tape as a form of early non deceptive resto

It was a more innocent time. Readability was king.

Yeah, I remember reading Don Rosa's old RBCC columns where he advocated the liberal use of tape on books to help them hold up through repeated readings.

Turns out, though, he was apparently also putting aside the pristine copies that came up for sale a few years back. :D Although maybe he started setting aside high-grade copies some time after he published those RBCC columns. hm

Of course the condition of most of them gives them low values, but it'd still be a cool conversational piece....

+1

...happy to bump this old thread with my first Hollinger book, just snagged off of eBay...it's the only Hollinger EC copy that I can recall coming across...glad to get one in the collection, just for the hobby-historical factor:

international1pop_f.jpg

international1pop_i1.jpg

international1pop_i2.jpg

international1pop_r.jpg

Anyone else out there have a Hollinger book?

Of course the condition of most of them gives them low values, but it'd still be a cool conversational piece....

+1

...happy to bump this old thread with my first Hollinger book, just snagged off of eBay...it's the only Hollinger EC copy that I can recall coming across...glad to get one in the collection, just for the hobby-historical factor:

international1pop_f.jpg

international1pop_i1.jpg

international1pop_i2.jpg

international1pop_r.jpg

Anyone else out there have a Hollinger book?

Needs a press! :D

On 10/24/2013 at 6:23 AM, TheMightyMidget said:

So reading about him, I think it'd be pretty cool to own one of his books for sure. Of course the condition of most of them gives them low values, but it'd still be a cool conversational piece....

Actually, Pop’s books are kind of a weird “pedigree”. Historical artifacts if you will. I’ve had a few and sold them quickly. 

On 12/28/2023 at 6:19 PM, batman_fan said:

Am I the only sick pervert who would like a "Pop" superhero book?

No you aren’t.

This isn’t super, but it is the first appearance of The Lone Rider. I snagged this right out from under Bob Beerbohm’s nose, and he was on tilt about it for while.
IMG_1231.thumb.jpeg.9cbb970307752a847d36ef8045339fbe.jpeg