• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Post about someone trying to make money off of the space shuttle explosion.

49 posts in this topic

Coin people!!!! The worst of the worst!!! FEH! (makes that hocking sound trying to raise as much phlegm as possible in the back of the throat without choking himself.....Then hawking one with alot of "body english" to the floor with a look of utter disgust) PAAAAAAAAAAA-Toooey!!!!

Joanna - looks like that eBay item is already invalid. I'm sure they are trying to pull them off as soon as they get wind of them.

I saw that the patch auction is already up to $15,000! Looks like there will be plenty of people making up new IDs to bid up on those auctions where folks are trying to cash in the disaster....

I hope the money is going to the families - guess I'm cynical but looking at that bid history, and considering one the bidders is a new user called "heartlessdollars", I would assume that there is some fake bidding going on...but maybe not. Although, there's probably plenty of better ways to make such a donation than through a bid on eBay....

I'd also highly doubt the high bid is even remotely real. But the seller does "allegedly" intend to donate the money. Once they set up a memorial fund I'm sure many of us will donate money, I plan to just wait until then..no reason to do it indirectly tongue.gif

Brian

Murph, Don't you need some kind of special state "permit" to be displayed when you are running a registered GENUINE charity or donation auction or sale??? I'm not inferring that this seller is doing something underhanded but as a bidder on a $10,000 donation item, I'd sure feel alot more secure knowing that this isn't just another 9-11 "donation" fund.

You would, but in this case they don't have one set up yet. There were plenty of 9-11 frauds but there were also plenty of sincere ones..it's the people who are defrauding tragedies that me off b/c it makes us have to question whether or not a person is doing something out of good will or just to make a quick buck.

Brian

Everyone grieves differently, some people get over things quickly and want to have something to remember the majestic Shuttle Columbia and its brave crew, so to them buying a memento of the Columbia isnt morbid, its a sign of respect.

Everyone sees things differently and the people who are crapping on the auctions are behaving pretty childishly IMO by stopping people who want to honor the Columbia by having a memento of it.

What a load of .

Odds are....this is a bunch of lousy low life money grubbing vultures......nothing else. mad.gif

If the money really would go to the families....then that would be great.....but if not.....I wish the ba$tards that do this would rot in jail for the next 20 years. mad.gif

Even many of the most well-intending and SINCERE 9-11 funds, donations, etc. set up with the best of intentions turned out to have a majority of the money collected held up in "red-tape" from those that qualified as beneficiaries! THESE monies were collected by noted organizations (the Red Cross, etc.), and accountability and distribution of these provisions turned out to be a NIGHTMARE for many deserving families. Most very reputable charity organizations will list guidelines right on their solicitations, "INVESTIGATE your charity before you decide to blindly make donations" being the central theme. Here we have "charitable" auctions on Ebay, but there's no way of knowing for sure exacty which pockets will receive the money collected. If folks want to DO something for the Shuttle victim's families and for their memory, there are probably already organizations set up to take donations that stand alot better chance of the funds received making it into the intended recipient's hands than these spur of the moment Ebay Charity auctions of private individuals. Who knows exactly who is cashing the check and where the money is going in one of these, no matter how eloquently and respectfully the auction description is written?