• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Post about someone trying to make money off of the space shuttle explosion.

49 posts in this topic

So selling items to people who might want to honor the Columbia crew isnt acceptable because it defames the memory of the fallen crew. But spewing hatred about people selling mementos does honor the crew? Some people are pretty mixed up.

If the money really would go to the families....then that would be great.....but if not.....I wish the ba$tards that do this would rot in jail for the next 20 years.

Well, the person's story is that they live in Florida and were waiting for the shuttle to come overhead... but wasn't the shuttle coming in from the West (over CA)? That already makes the whole thing pretty fishy in my book.

"Well, the person's story is that they live in Florida and were waiting for the shuttle to come overhead... but wasn't the shuttle coming in from the West (over CA)? That already makes the whole thing pretty fishy in my book. "

The story would be right. I believe it was landing in Florida. Just look at the path of the debris, TX, AR,LA. What I would be leary of is the item is not part of a legit charity yet. Not saying its illegetimate, but I couldn't give one dollar to this auction until it was set up properly.

By the way I'm only talking about people who are selling old mementos of Columbia, anyone selling wreckage should know better, and didn't think very intelligently about either the tact of the matter or about the trouble law enforcement could cause them for doing so.

SAN JOSE, Calif. (Feb. 2) - EBay deleted several items billed as debris from the space shuttle Columbia from the online auction site Saturday, warning that anyone attempting to sell fragments from the doomed shuttle could be prosecuted.

EBay spokesman Kevin Pursglove said customer service representatives received a handful of listings throughout the day from people purporting to have found debris in Texas.

The listings were immediately yanked from the site, and executives may report the sellers to federal authorities.

Taking a part of an aircraft involved in an accident is a federal offense, U.S. attorneys in Texas warned, and a conviction could result in up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Debris from the space shuttle was spread over a large swath Texas and Louisiana and residents reported finding chunks of it.

It's unclear what kind of debris was listed on eBay, but Pursglove said that many of the items were likely pranks.

The San Jose-based company has become a barometer of pop culture and current events, with listings such as World Series paraphernalia surging during the baseball championships. But eBay must also deal with morbid postings and attempts to capitalize on human tragedy, and it frequently pulls items.

''Over the years we have learned to keep an eye out for individuals who might want to list items once a tragic event has occurred, the best example being pieces of the World Trade Center and Pentagon,'' Pursglove said, referring to the targets of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

EBay recorded a small increase Saturday in the number of listings for Columbia memorabilia, including coins, mission patches and even one listing for the official vertical stabilizers used in earlier voyages. Collectibles related to NASA's space program are perennially popular, Pursglove said.

AP-NY-02-02-03 1142EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

What a load of .

Odds are....this is a bunch of lousy low life money grubbing vultures......nothing else.

If the money really would go to the families....then that would be great.....but if not.....I wish the ba$tards that do this would rot in jail for the next 20 years.

hey bug, those are your own words, it's your same political party affiliation your talking about now. who's tasting the sour grapes now? blush.gifshocked.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

hey bug, those are your own words, it's your same political party affiliation your talking about now. who's tasting the sour grapes now?

Why?......because it's happening in Texas.....like there aren't any Democraps there?........that's the biggest liberal spin I've seen yet.........you should work for CNN. smirk.gif

Choke down some more of those grapes. tongue.gif

received a handful of listings throughout the day from people purporting to have found debris in Texas

Seems to me though, that there's probably only a handful of democraps in Texas.......coincidence?.......I think not. smirk.gif

But not to worry......Texas still has the death penalty.....maybe they can take care of that handful. tongue.gif