• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors, help me wrap my mind around 9.6 vs 9.8
1 1

48 posts in this topic

I think it really comes down to personal preference. As a collector of high grade copper keys, I don't mind paying double or in some cases 3-4 times the amount of a 9.6 for a 9.8. I will say though that I have seen many 9.6 copper books that look just as good as their 9.8 counterparts, but for me given the option, I'm always going to go for the 9.8 if it's a copper book.

First thing first I don't mind owning a 9.6 Copper if it looks great. For some people a 9.6 post 1980 might as well be a PLOD but that is personal preference(I don't mind certain PLOD books either).

That being said there are a couple thing I look at.

First is the multiple you pay. At 2:1 I probably more willing to buy a 9.8 over a 9.6 versus 3:1 or 4:1

Is it a nice 9.6 or bad 9.6. A nice 9.6 can often times look just as good as an average 9.8. I love picking up nice 9.6 books and it usually quells any urge to upgrade.

Is it a nice 9.8 or a bad 9.8. Whenever I am willing to pay the extra cash for a 9.8 it better be a real 9.8 and not a gift 9.8, simple as that.

You can also afford to be more picky when it comes to books where there are tons of 9.6 and 9.8 on the census.

Bottom line is buy what you like and don't let the stigma of 9.6 books deter you if they are okay to you and buy the book, not the grade.

Thinking about collecting some Copper Keys and am having a difficult time justifying the price differencial between 9.6 and 9.8's

Would like to hear your thoughts on this topic.

9.8's are for selling, and 9.6's are for keeping. :grin:

There is no "stigma" to a 9.6 book. :sumo:

I'm pretty sure there are a fair amount of people who would not add a 9.6 copper or modern to there collection if you gave it to them for free.

Same thing with PLOD's.

I thin maybe some day some of that will disappear, but we will see? (shrug)

Thanks fellas, i really appreciate your thoughts and input.

i am a collector. have been for as long as i can remember. cards, comics, other , a collector is a collector, we are born this way.

anywho, i picked up a great looking ASM 300 9.6 tonight at about 40% the cost of a 9.8

since i am keeping the book, i figure i will use the funds saved on adding another CGC Book that id like to own

Thinking about collecting some Copper Keys and am having a difficult time justifying the price differencial between 9.6 and 9.8's

9.8's are for selling, and 9.6's are for keeping. :grin:

Perfectly stated....and 1000% true !

It depends on the book. Not all 9.6's and 9.8'a are created equal. CGC is random at times, but they are fairly consistent. If it's a book like ASM 300 or NM 98, and the 9.6 has the eye appeal and potential for increase, they sell, and sell fast. Same with BA 12 and a couple of others. Like someone said above... 9.8's are for selling, and 9.6's are for keeping. Or, if you're like me, I want the nicest looking book for OCD reasons, and will pay more for a book that what I consider a 9.8+, not what I call a squeaker. The Whole 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 thing is just a guide. Buy the book, not the label. CGC isn't anywhere near perfect, but they are far more consistent than anyone else I've dealt with. As far as 99% of Marvel/DC coppers are considered, the "stigma", is that yes, 9.8's are good, and anything less is a drink tray.

It depends on the book. Not all 9.6's and 9.8'a are created equal. CGC is random at times, but they are fairly consistent. If it's a book like ASM 300 or NM 98, and the 9.6 has the eye appeal and potential for increase, they sell, and sell fast. Same with BA 12 and a couple of others. Like someone said above... 9.8's are for selling, and 9.6's are for keeping. Or, if you're like me, I want the nicest looking book for OCD reasons, and will pay more for a book that what I consider a 9.8+, not what I call a squeaker. The Whole 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 thing is just a guide. Buy the book, not the label. CGC isn't anywhere near perfect, but they are far more consistent than anyone else I've dealt with. As far as 99% of Marvel/DC coppers are considered, the "stigma", is that yes, 9.8's are good, and anything less is a drink tray.

All true, just as many have said above. (Except for the "drink tray" part.) Coppers will be just like any other age (eventually). The same laws of attrition still apply - death and taxes and all that. :grin: Yes, there are a zillion IH181s and ASM300s in plastic, but so what? The number of collectors will continue to increase and the supply, although appearing to be somewhat stable, will continue to diminish over time. New "it" books will present themselves on an ongoing basis, and the rush to the entrance gates will continue (until some more historically important event intercedes.) :preach:

I submitted a book that came back as a 9.6. It came back with a cracked case so got sent back and received a 9.8. The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is the difference between one day and the next.

I'd venture that 99% of those who insist on CGC 9.8 and nothing less would have been more than satisfied with a raw NM+ prior to the advent of CGC. What they seek is not consistency in grading, but in labeling of the books in their collection, and possibly an easier sale at FMV if they choose to liquidate.

I'd venture that 99% of those who insist on CGC 9.8 and nothing less would have been more than satisfied with a raw NM+ prior to the advent of CGC. What they seek is not consistency in grading, but in labeling of the books in their collection, and possibly an easier sale at FMV if they choose to liquidate.

I agree 800% on this.

I am perfectly happy with a nice NM, for books I really care about, and I can even favor a VG over a VF if it has better centering, and above all better inside printing (a problem you can also have with Copper, printed pretty lousily compared to certain late Silver/early Bronze whose insides printing quality is great). :)