• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors, help me wrap my mind around 9.6 vs 9.8
1 1

48 posts in this topic

First thing first I don't mind owning a 9.6 Copper if it looks great. For some people a 9.6 post 1980 might as well be a PLOD but that is personal preference(I don't mind certain PLOD books either).

That being said there are a couple thing I look at.

First is the multiple you pay. At 2:1 I probably more willing to buy a 9.8 over a 9.6 versus 3:1 or 4:1

Is it a nice 9.6 or bad 9.6. A nice 9.6 can often times look just as good as an average 9.8. I love picking up nice 9.6 books and it usually quells any urge to upgrade.

Is it a nice 9.8 or a bad 9.8. Whenever I am willing to pay the extra cash for a 9.8 it better be a real 9.8 and not a gift 9.8, simple as that.

You can also afford to be more picky when it comes to books where there are tons of 9.6 and 9.8 on the census.

Bottom line is buy what you like and don't let the stigma of 9.6 books deter you if they are okay to you and buy the book, not the grade.

From my experience, I personally like 9.8 copies from late Silver Age and early Bronze but the only thing I am not willing to throw my money away. From the same age group, I can afford on those 9.6 copies for example Batman #227 and Hulk #181 because those prices have been steady for few years - sometimes it does some drops in the price but it is easy to predictable. The price for 9.8 copy is unpredictable and may be unstable. I remember few years ago, ASM #129 9.8 could be sold for $10,000 or more but it is now $5000. Hulk #181 9.8 was insanely overpriced during the time when Wolverine movie was around and the price is now mellowed down. You will never know if the price for 9.8 copies will stay top for a long time. I feel comfortable with the price for 9.6 copies only for late Silver Age and early Bronze Age. After that age group, the price for either 9.8 or 9.6 is never guaranteed. I think the most dangerous age group is Modern. It doesn't matter which 9.6 or 9.8 but it goes down fast and faster. It is just a vibe or fad.

I think it is safer to own any books from late Silver or early Bronze in either 9.6 or 9.8. My money too.

acb1b11f-6eef-4eee-b8d4-cc469ad890f1.jpg

So this is all about comparing sizes?

Seriously. It is the age old keeping up with the Joneses. Who wants a 9.6 BA 12, when all of their friends have a 9.8?

There is no difference between many 9.6's and 9.8's. Some for sure do have differences. But it is subjective and opinion, based on a persons mood, work pace, and even how they perceive a certain character or issue. A professional grader might like The Punisher and another grader might think he is lame.

I also do believe that CGC is not blind about WHO sent in what. They are a tight and close knit group. Surely they talk at work, and are in the know about "the guy" who spends thousands a year on slabbing, and the guy that spends 200 bucks a year.

If you are a bartender and your buddy comes in to drink. He gets better drinks than the stranger sitting next to him. If you are a cop and you pull over your high school math teacher. He or she gets a break that a stranger might not. A warning instead of a ticket.

Human nature, and no one can convince me otherwise. CGC is not a computer program. "It" is made up of and run by human beings. The most flawed thing in nature.

Personally, I will take a 9.6 pedigreed book over a non-ped 9.8, almost every time.

Edited by conditionfreak

Seriously. It is the age old keeping up with the Joneses. Who wants a 9.6 BA 12, when all of their friends have a 9.8?

There is no difference between many 9.6's and 9.8's. Some for sure do have differences. But it is subjective and opinion, based on a persons mood, work pace, and even how they perceive a certain character or issue. A professional grader might like The Punisher and another grader might think he is lame.

I also do believe that CGC is not blind about WHO sent in what. They are a tight and close knit group. Surely they talk at work, and are in the know about "the guy" who spends thousands a year on slabbing, and the guy that spends 200 bucks a year.

If you are a bartender and your buddy comes in to drink. He gets better drinks than the stranger sitting next to him. If you are a cop and you pull over your high school math teacher. He or she gets a break that a stranger might not. A warning instead of a ticket.

Human nature, and no one can convince me otherwise. CGC is not a computer program. "It" is made up of and run by human beings. The most flawed thing in nature.

Personally, I will take a 9.6 pedigreed book over a non-ped 9.8, almost every time.

Does anyone have any idea what, if anything, the above post has to do with my graph that was quoted...?

Here's my 2c and it's probably wrong.

1. Some people just like having the best or as close to the best as possible. More power to em.

2. In terms of actual condition between 9.6 and 9.8 I think it's in the eye of the beholder. I would guess experienced collectors would tell you they've seen 9.6 books that look like 9.8's and 9.8 books that look like a 9.6.

No matter how much of a "collector" you are, it's hard to buy any of these books without thinking of the resale value.

Keeping that in mind 9.8's have proven to bring many multiple of guide compared to their 9.6 counterparts, despite the sometimes negligible condition of the actual book. So when you buy, if you tend to lean more towards the buy then sell side of the hobby, I would go with buying the 9.8's.

Unless of course you are into the crack/press/re-sub thing, in that case buying 9.6's and turning them into 9.8s could be more profitable.

Does anyone have any idea what, if anything, the above post has to do with my graph that was quoted...?

It is a double entendre thing.

Not only does your graph, look like p-niss comparisons. But the whole 9.6 versus 9.8 thing, is about trying to out do or keep up with the joneses (as I said previously). My Cadi is better than your Olds, kind of thing.

Proudly comparing your 9.8 to someone elses 9.6. When in reality, there is little to no difference in many cases.

Hence why the adage "buy the book and not the label" is even talked about.

:facepalm: I thought that was pretty clear in my original post. Maybe the "spoon" that this site replaced my original word with, threw you off?

Edited by conditionfreak

Not only does your graph, look like p-niss comparisons. But the whole 9.6 versus 9.8 thing, is about trying to out do or keep up with the joneses (as I said previously). My Cadi is better than your Olds, kind of thing.

Proudly comparing your 9.8 to someone elses 9.6. When in reality, there is little to no difference in many cases.

:facepalm: I thought that was pretty clear in my original post. Maybe the "spoon" that this site replaced my original word with, threw you off?

Ok, so nothing whatsoever to do with my graph(s). That's what I thought, but maybe someone else could have deciphered something.

Someone might want to explain to conditionfreak. He missed the other half of the graph.

Ok, so nothing whatsoever to do with my graph(s). That's what I thought, but maybe someone else could have deciphered something.

Someone might want to explain to conditionfreak. He missed the other half of the graph.

Oh, I didn't miss ANY of your graphs. I just find it amusing how you avoid "talking", and use kiddie pictures to make your points.

No matter how you may have been treated in the past on here. Just put your boots on and get back into the game. No one here will hurt you. They might hurt your feelings a little. But that which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

First thing first I don't mind owning a 9.6 Copper if it looks great. For some people a 9.6 post 1980 might as well be a PLOD but that is personal preference(I don't mind certain PLOD books either).

First is the multiple you pay. At 2:1 I probably more willing to buy a 9.8 over a 9.6 versus 3:1 or 4:1

Is it a nice 9.6 or bad 9.6. A nice 9.6 can often times look just as good as an average 9.8. I love picking up nice 9.6 books and it usually quells any urge to upgrade.

Is it a nice 9.8 or a bad 9.8. Whenever I am willing to pay the extra cash for a 9.8 it better be a real 9.8 and not a gift 9.8, simple as that.

You can also afford to be more picky when it comes to books where there are tons of 9.6 and 9.8 on the census.

Bottom line is buy what you like and don't let the stigma of 9.6 books deter you if they are okay to you and buy the book, not the grade.

From my experience, I personally like 9.8 copies from late Silver Age and early Bronze but the only thing I am not willing to throw my money away. From the same age group, I can afford on those 9.6 copies for example Batman #227 and Hulk #181 because those prices have been steady for few years - sometimes it does some drops in the price but it is easy to predictable. The price for 9.8 copy is unpredictable and may be unstable. I remember few years ago, ASM #129 9.8 could be sold for $10,000 or more but it is now $5000. Hulk #181 9.8 was insanely overpriced during the time when Wolverine movie was around and the price is now mellowed down. You will never know if the price for 9.8 copies will stay top for a long time. I feel comfortable with the price for 9.6 copies only for late Silver Age and early Bronze Age. After that age group, the price for either 9.8 or 9.6 is never guaranteed. I think the most dangerous age group is Modern. It doesn't matter which 9.6 or 9.8 but it goes down fast and faster. It is just a vibe or fad.

I think it is safer to own any books from late Silver or early Bronze in either 9.6 or 9.8. My money too.

Plenty of people lost a lot of money when buying 9.8s years ago, particularly on Bronze books. Back when there weren't many 9.8s around they commanded a significant premium but once the census filled up through people digging out all their old copies and other copies being pressed up the grading scale, there was no way that those kind of prices were sustainable.

Those people would've lost a lot less money if they'd bought 9.6s. Now 9.9 is more like what a 9.8 was and people who have spent a massive load of money for the only 9.9 on the census will be the ones standing to make a big loss in the future.

Plenty of people lost a lot of money when buying 9.8s years ago, particularly on Bronze books. Back when there weren't many 9.8s around they commanded a significant premium but once the census filled up through people digging out all their old copies and other copies being pressed up the grading scale, there was no way that those kind of prices were sustainable.

Those people would've lost a lot less money if they'd bought 9.6s. Now 9.9 is more like what a 9.8 was and people who have spent a massive load of money for the only 9.9 on the census will be the ones standing to make a big loss in the future.

I agree with this, except for the last part. 9.9's-10.0's are so rare, and those grades so protected by CGC, that they'll never take a dive like the bronze 9.8's did.

Keeping that in mind 9.8's have proven to bring many multiple of guide compared to their 9.6 counterparts, despite the sometimes negligible condition of the actual book. So when you buy, if you tend to lean more towards the buy then sell side of the hobby, I would go with buying the 9.8's.

The price for 9.8 copy is unpredictable and may be unstable. I remember few years ago, ASM #129 9.8 could be sold for $10,000 or more but it is now $5000. Hulk #181 9.8 was insanely overpriced during the time when Wolverine movie was around and the price is now mellowed down. You will never know if the price for 9.8 copies will stay top for a long time.

There's the rub, the 9.8 will sell for more than the 9.6, but will it sell for more than you paid for it.