• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality and Book Flaws

8 posts in this topic

I've been thinking this over and trying to decide where I want to go with this..but theoretically speaking anything less then "White" pages would be considered a flaw, right? So if it's off-white that is one flaw, so would this mean that a 9.4 with OFF-WHITE pages versus a 9.4 with WHITE pages the off-white paged book when have less actually aesthetic flaws?? It stands to reason that there's a certain # of "flaws" that knock something down to another grade..but from what I've seen of white paged 9.4's the book seems to be of the same quality as an ow paged 9.4..I don't remember, do we even know if page quality is factored into a grade?

Brian

Yes, page quality is factored into the grade. For my part, I'm much more concerned about cover colors than page quality, and would take a copy with off-white pages but better color than a book with white pages any time.

I have thought the same thing, Murph. I have seen books (and own 1) that have the tiniest of flaws.. just enough to make them 9.8... that are graded 9.8 OW/W. Does that mean the book would be a 9.9 if the pages were white? I doubt it. I think that from white to ow/w there is almost no difference in grading (if any) other than the notation. I think it only really impacts the book significantly when it goes below off white. That, of course, leads one to think that since page discoloration is almost inevitable over time (even if you let the LIbrary of Congress or the Vatican stick your books in their special document vaults they will eventually yellow a bit) then when do you lower the grade of the book?

Once again, stop obsessing, you will see it when I go home..so settle down little man.

Also, that first thread was regarding whether or not people would buy cream to ow page quality books due to the fact that supposedly the only "cream" part of it is the edges.

Brian

This is the second time in the last two months you've started this topic

Well, it's good to see I haven't changed my perspective since the last time! wink.gif