• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK 181 CGC 9.8, WILL IT BREAK THE $20k BARRIER??

11 posts in this topic

have a look at www.idealcollectibles ebay acution on the hulk 181 9.8!

at $18k, this is insane, how could anyone think this bronze age book would reach this $$level?

i remember a story told me by a dealer of one dealer/collector who in the late 80's/early 90's was actively buying every high grade copy of this book he could find at cons and keeping them for resale 15 years down the road

if i had that $$ i wouldve much rather bought one of the 3 hulk 1 's jpthe mint had at $17-21k 2 years ago

oh well

ben

Anyone who pays that for a common bronze key needs to have his brain checked. I highly doubt there is any more room for investment on this book. I agree with Bug...take the 9.6 for $14K less... Can YOU tell the difference between the 9.8 and the 9.6??? Hmmmm....

I highly doubt there is any more room for investment on this book.

You might want to check the thread in the Bronze forum 'Hulk 181, How high can it go?'. The majority of opinion/argument was that there IS more potential for growth on the book.

The levels that this book has reached are crazy though, but thats CGC 9.8 for ya. IMHO anyone who buys this book is buying the label, as to me it doesn't look like a 9.8. crazy.gif

I don't know..at 18-20k you start to get into the realm of more solid books..I don't really think that a Hulk 181 should command the price level of something like a major key silver age book..especially considering theres a bunch of them. A 14k difference for a .2 difference is a little unfounded imo.

Brian

To the lucky buyer of this overinflated book: You might get a return on your investment in 5-10 years. This is it for investment potential. I agree that you are simply buying the label...And that does not bode well for collectors. What happens to your $20K is CGC goes belly up? Bronze age books are way to common and thus the future of these as investments depend greatly on the future of CGC. 9.8...9.6...take your pick. Is it truly worth it? If you think so, I have some great dot com from 2 years ago I want to sell you.

tha's exactly what im saying, if you have any of the highest graded after 1966 sell it now! you'll never be able to get the prices that they are commanding now or from 2 years ago. (e.g. FF 48) the longer you wait, the chances of another copy getting the same grade or a higher grade greatly increases as time goes by. blush.gifshocked.gif

Bronze age books are way to common and thus the future of these as investments depend greatly on the future of CGC. 9.8...9.6...take your pick. Is it truly worth it?

I agree entirely with you as far as 9.6 and up grades go. The prices currently are crazy, for books that will more than likely turn up many more high grade copies.

My last post was refering to the growth potential for the NM price which is currently around $2K. IMHO this grade has some more room for growth as demand far exceeds supply and should continue to do so for the next few years at least.