• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question: Is it common for sides of cgc cases to be split?

31 posts in this topic

Which are also not sealed or airtight. I live in oregon, where humidity is definately a problem with paper collectibles, and thought that cgc books were sealed completely airtight inside the inner well. If the books grade can change from inside the case, it effectively negates the grade given by the cgc.

And that's why a proper storage environment is essential regardless of wether the comic is in a mylar or a CGC slab.

Sealing the inner well would not prevent degradation by storage in a poor environment.

But would effectively prevent humidity issues from degrading your book, or exposure to oxygen rusting staples, pages turning off white, etc.

Again, what good is the grade if it can change inside the slab?

But would effectively prevent humidity issues from degrading your book, or exposure to oxygen rusting staples, pages turning off white, etc.

Again, what good is the grade if it can change inside the slab?

Under proper conditions, it shouldn't change grade. The slab isn't UV protected either, so don't set it in a window display.

I believe the inner well isn't airtight to allow for off-gassing.

From what I've gathered from different discussions on the boards the inner wells are still sealed very well. No they are not air or water tight but still resistant to outside influences. They just aren't sealed 100% away from this. If you check out the journal I linked to earlier, a member brings up the point of it not being air tight as it would need to be vacuum sealed. If we did this it would damage the book. Just think of the vacuum space saver bags they have for clothes. The inner well would shrink around the book completely smashing it.

With regards to water I think if you spilled water on it and it made it to the inner well it'd be fine(my opinion). But to submerge it or be exposed to a flood would definitely ruin your book.

I cracked an outer slab the other day and could easily pry it open just using my hands... I too was surprised that the sides were completely unsealed. Maybe just me, but I swear I used to need a screwdriver when I cracked them 4-5 years ago.

This is absolutely correct, a child could pop them open now. Even though it's the inner well that really matters. The labels are no longer "fused" in either. Methinks there needs to be some better QC, especially in Magazines.

HBD btw, :banana:

So I just bought some old slabs and found this topic. Are these "sealed"? The glue lines appear intact but I can separate the sides a good quarter inch. Seems I could almost remove the comic with some effort and skill. It definitely looks like older labels from CGC. It's a SW 43 and 68 so I want to make sure. Thanks!

20210128_130638.jpg

20210128_130823.jpg

20210128_133056.jpg

20210128_133120.jpg

12 minutes ago, HotKey said:

So I just bought some old slabs and found this topic. Are these "sealed"? The glue lines appear intact but I can separate the sides a good quarter inch. Seems I could almost remove the comic with some effort and skill. It definitely looks like older labels from CGC. It's a SW 43 and 68 so I want to make sure. Thanks!

20210128_130638.jpg

20210128_130823.jpg

20210128_133056.jpg

20210128_133120.jpg

That's normal for that gen. slab, 2nd gen., I think.  The current gen. slabs are sealed on the sides.

15 minutes ago, HotKey said:

20210128_130638.jpg

20210128_130823.jpg

20210128_133056.jpg

20210128_133120.jpg

Nope, not sealed, and its not glue you see, just molding flash. Also, none of that is a defect, that's how slabs were back then.

Yeah, the old slabs are not very finely designed. I hold on to them until I get enough of a batch (or a custom label I like) to submit for a reholder which looks way shinier, more durable and seals better.

Edited by bobotski