• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who loves SKETCHES by their favorite artists vs just signatures.........I do. posted by roninduelist

15 posts in this topic

Sketches vs Signatures.....Sketch and Signatures PLEASE!

Who loves SKETCHES on comics vs just signatures?

Do you believe the sketches plus signatures are more valuable....in the long run than just signatures.

I know there are some purists out there who would prefer just the blue label.

But, Personally, when I am on the hunt for CGC graded comics, I tend to go for the artist sketches....I think it enhances the uniqueness and "one-of-kind" status of the comic.

Check out my X-O Manowar/Harbinger Flipbook CGC 9.8 Signature Series.....Signed and Sketch by Cary Nord....I love it and consider it a beauty.

Thoughts anyone??

14561.jpg

See more journals by roninduelist

I completely agree! Getting sigs is something I strive for, without question.

But being able to get any sort of sketch put on a comic, whether regular or blank cover, makes it that much more of an OAK!!

This is usually because of three reasons.

1. It usually costs more to get the artist to add a sketch of some kind

2. It just looks so much cooler to have an original piece of art done by the artist on the cover.

3. It is so neat to see it referenced on the SS CGC label, certifying both sig and sketch.

When these factors are put together, there is no question that having a sketch done by the artist on a comic will make it more valuable than just a signature on it.

This is made evident in the fact that I have seen numerous SS CGC comics sell for more with sketches added to the cover. Of course, it also depends on what the sketch is of and how elaborate it is. Also whether there are other copies out there with sketches on it.

A comic's OAKness can be determined by this. My copy of MGN #4, which is signed by both Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, is 1 of 3 SS 9.8 copies out there. Of those 3, 2 are double signed copies. But mine is the one and only copy with both sigs AND a small sketch of Cannonball done by McLeod on it!!

This makes any comic a true OAK, no matter who or how many have signed it. Anyone can get sigs, but sketches are a way of putting a completely original stamp on it by one of the artists we love so much!!

A comic's OAKness can be determined by this. My copy of MGN #4, which is signed by both Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, is 1 of 3 SS 9.8 copies out there. Of those 3, 2 are double signed copies. But mine is the one and only copy with both sigs AND a small sketch of Cannonball done by McLeod on it!!

This might not be true. When I saw Wallace again this year and told him about how cool yours was, he mentioned to me his was signed the same way. I didn't get to walk around with him for that signature, I only saw him get is signed by Claremont and I was paying more attention to my X-Men #109 freshly signed by him and waiting for the CGC rep to allow me to get Herb Trimpe's signature directly across from the mutants scribe himself to pay attention to the the graphic novel that would become history.

It might very well be the reason why your is signed the way yours is.

That is news to me, but also really cool!!

If you get the chance to ask Wallace sometime, ask him the specifics of his copy.

I am very curious! Mine has Claremont's sig with 2013 added to the end of his signature, which I have NEVER seen him do before on a comic and then there is the McLeod mini sketch.

Let me know sometime exactly what his copy has on it. I would love to know and possibly see a pic!!!!!

I am a bona fide sketch nut. I have over a hundred Yellow label sketches, and there are far more serious sketch collectors that have hundreds more than I.

For the guys that were discussing Bob McLeod, he is a master of his craft, and one of my favorites. His clean line work and classic aesthetic are perfect for the small canvas of sketch covers.

Here is one of my McLeods:

IMG00429-20110601-1826.jpg

My first Sig Series purchase was a Sandman 8 signed by Neil Gaiman, but it's marked by CGC as SIGNED AND SKETCH BY because he drew in her ankh and eye-curl with the silver Sharpie. Looks great and I've never seen one like it. If I had the choice, I'd definitely take SIGNED AND SKETCH BY over just SIGNED.

I don't know if it is love, addiction, or a combination of the two but I do. My very first CGC send off was an Uncanny X-Force Blank variant that had been sketched on by Mark Texeira (Wolverine) and a blue top cover of the Uncanny X-Force variant. Since then I now have roughly 30 different covers that have been sketched on in my possession, another 11 currently in the CGC que, four that I am purchased through some sellers, and another 5 waiting to be picked up from Wizard World Austin.

Gotta say this is where it truly became fun for me. The idea of not knowing what I was getting, but still getting something amazing and truly one of a kind.

My first but certainly not my last:

1802188_Full_Obv.jpg

Gotta say this is where it truly became fun for me. The idea of not knowing what I was getting, but still getting something amazing and truly one of a kind.

I have yet to participate in a sketch op. Mostly due to money. But will definitely be apart of one in the future. I completely agree with K-Mans thought here. Knowing that something amazing is awaiting me that will be mine and nothing exactly like it exists, rules. :headbang:

I wish they weren't so pricey, but I understand why they are. I don't know if, once I get one, that I could ever sell it. But I have been looking into purchasing already completed ones that people list.