• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 2: Action Comics #683

8 posts in this topic

I like this cover.

"The Trial of the Jackal"

November, 1992

It has been several years since I last read my reader copy, a second printing I found as a kid. I always liked this cover, the full moon setting and a lycanthrope for an antagonist: The Jackal, make for a unique and haunting cover, seldom seen in Superman books. The look on Superman's face also gets me, confusion mixed with anger.

Now that Halloween has come and gone, I'm still in the mood for some horror books. Action #683 may not be a "horror" book per se, but the cover is enough to jump start my imagination. Superman has occasional encounters with the supernatural, he and The Phantom Stranger teamed in Action Comics #582 (Feb 1987). Superman also teamed up with The Specter in Action #596 (Jan 1988), both characters who are rooted in the Golden Age of comics and creator Jerry Siegle.

This piece is one of my favorite, how shall I put it... regular pieces? This was not a major purchase, it was also the lone 9.8 for a few years. It's just another piece in my collection, and I really like the cover, nice and simple. This issue also recognizes the passing of Superman co-creator Joe Shuster (1914-1992). Robin (Tim Drake) makes an appearance as well as Doomsday (cameo, last page).

Superman is all like: You're ripping my cape, dude!

14577.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

This book is officially 21 tears old. Thanks for sharing.

Are the tears because it's been so long and the book is not more valuable than we thought it would be, or because it makes us feel so old? I'm thinking both and I'm right there with you. :cry:

Yes, I know you meant "years" but I couldn't resist. :)

sig.jpg

That does make me feel a little old, I remember books that were 21 years old in 1992 having that old paper smell and not being in the best condition. Those books seemed so ancient, now the same amount of time has passed for many of the books that I first bought as those "old" 70s issues I saw in comic shops in the mid 90s.

Werewolves never really frightened me. Not even in the Howling, American Werewolf in London, Wolfen, or the classic Lon Chaney Wolfman. Maybe because I like dogs so much, that their wolf cousins look like big cuddly creatures to me that just need some tender love. However, I have always favored the powers of a Lycanthrop over Vampires and other Supernaturals.

The very first Superman issue I ever purchased which had a supernatural theme (back in 1979), was Superman Volume 1, Issue No. 344. The cover has Superman being attacked by Dracula and Frankenstein. I was 10 years old then, but I thought I knew everything there was to know about Superman because I had seen the Chris Reeve movie a bazillion times. So when I read that issue, I was surprised and dismayed to find out Superman had weaknesses against beings with supernatural powers. And I was irate... because in my mind, I couldn't accept Superman not being able to defend himself from a goofy looking Dracula or Frankenstein.

Here's a link to the issue I am referring to: http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&biw=1440&bih=766&tbm=isch&tbnid=gCXIrIsWNVv3xM:&imgrefurl=http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp%3FProduct_ID%3DSUPERMAN_344_39674&docid=hmUfK8B0lQDNOM&itg=1&imgurl=http://images.wwcomics.com/images/large/Supm_344_98.jpg&w=480&h=775&ei=qJt1UqzIL4utsATm6oGABA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:5,s:0,i:96&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=190&tbnw=118&start=0&ndsp=35&tx=82&ty=119

BTW: That is not my comic. I just borrowed that image from Google.

Anyway... I did very little to celebrate Halloween this year. I feel I somehow gypped myself of some frights like I used to do as a kid. You've ignited a thirst for a horror movie which I may see this evening... just wondering which one.

Can't wait to read the next journal. Keep it up!

SW3D

An American Werewolf in London is one of my favorite horror movies, I love its juxtaposition or horror and comedy. I want a red parka like the one David wears in the film, I also want to do some backpacking, just not anywhere near the moors at night...

Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone...

Nice cover on Superman #344, I believe this is the first time I have seen this one, it reminds me a little of the cover for X-Men #40 (Jan 1968): "The X-Men Meet Frankenstein! 'Nuff Said!"