• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,913 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, mnaz1988 said:

New to these boards but have been collecting for over 20 years since I was a kid. Starting to get more into rare more valuable comic books, including Golden Age horror. 

Welcome to the boards and a great genre to get into (thumbsu

Hi everyone, my name is Griffin. I am an experienced collector, but I am new to the CGC forums :) . 

I'm into Golden, Silver, and bronze age keys. I have been part of the Instagram community for a while under my account ( comicbooks22 ) . 

I have heard good things about the forums for a while, so I decided to finally join in.

Thanks!

On 11/26/2017 at 7:27 PM, comicbooks22 said:

Hi everyone, my name is Griffin. I am an experienced collector, but I am new to the CGC forums :) . 

I'm into Golden, Silver, and bronze age keys. I have been part of the Instagram community for a while under my account ( comicbooks22 ) . 

I have heard good things about the forums for a while, so I decided to finally join in.

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards!

Hi all. 

I'm brand new but have followed the CGC forums for a couple years now. I decided to start posting because I think I have lots to contribute. I got into comics about 5 years ago and mostly collect modern comics because I cant afford most silver keys. 

Howdy. My name is Sami, and I've been an avid collector since I first stumbled onto some Marvel comics in 1973. I've been in and out of collecting recent comics but I enjoy going to local shows and filling in holes in my collection.

Over the years I've struggled with putting my books into a database. This past 2 years, I've been cataloging my collection using CLZ Comic Collector. I'd like to ask your opinions.

Using a program like CLZ makes life easier (in some ways), but I still have challenges with my physical collection. Here's my setup:

• I box my comics by publisher.
  • I sort them alphabetically by title, in ascending order so the newer books/higher numbers are in front.
  • For books that have been rebooted with multiple volumes, I put the most recent volume in front. (Think Avengers or Legion of Super Heroes).
  • Traditionally I've had Marvel, DC, and Independent as my 3 main categories. In my indy collection, I sort by publisher alphabetically - so there are a million categories.

Question 1: Some titles jump from publisher to publisher (Mage, Strangers in Paradise, Astro City, Powers, Miracle Man). What makes more logical sense? Putting the individual runs under the publisher (making you jump all over when trying to read through them chronologically), or listing all runs under the most recent publisher?

Question 2: When alphabetizing: do you consider definite/indefinite articles (the, a, an)? For example, regardless of how the database lists the books, do I put 'The Sandman and The Sandman: Petrefax and The Sandman: Overture under T for "the" or under S for Sandman? That would result in mixing Sandman Mystery Theatre between some of the Gaiman Sandman series.

I probably have more questions but those rise to the top. I'd love your opinions. Thanks!

15 hours ago, CollectorsComicsOnline said:

Howdy. My name is Sami, and I've been an avid collector since I first stumbled onto some Marvel comics in 1973. I've been in and out of collecting recent comics but I enjoy going to local shows and filling in holes in my collection.

Over the years I've struggled with putting my books into a database. This past 2 years, I've been cataloging my collection using CLZ Comic Collector. I'd like to ask your opinions.

Using a program like CLZ makes life easier (in some ways), but I still have challenges with my physical collection. Here's my setup:

• I box my comics by publisher.
  • I sort them alphabetically by title, in ascending order so the newer books/higher numbers are in front.
  • For books that have been rebooted with multiple volumes, I put the most recent volume in front. (Think Avengers or Legion of Super Heroes).
  • Traditionally I've had Marvel, DC, and Independent as my 3 main categories. In my indy collection, I sort by publisher alphabetically - so there are a million categories.

Question 1: Some titles jump from publisher to publisher (Mage, Strangers in Paradise, Astro City, Powers, Miracle Man). What makes more logical sense? Putting the individual runs under the publisher (making you jump all over when trying to read through them chronologically), or listing all runs under the most recent publisher?

Question 2: When alphabetizing: do you consider definite/indefinite articles (the, a, an)? For example, regardless of how the database lists the books, do I put 'The Sandman and The Sandman: Petrefax and The Sandman: Overture under T for "the" or under S for Sandman? That would result in mixing Sandman Mystery Theatre between some of the Gaiman Sandman series.

I probably have more questions but those rise to the top. I'd love your opinions. Thanks!

Hi Sami, welcome to the boards! :hi:

While I don't use CLZ myself I can only say what I do in Excel. Re. Question 1. I list by publisher first then title. If the publisher changes I have a "Notes" column that I enter something like: "issues 6-10 published by Eclipse"

Question 2. I title the books by how they are titled in the indicia. If it starts with "The" then I use it.

Edited by Jayman

6 hours ago, Jayman said:

Hi Sami, welcome to the boards! :hi:

While I don't use CLZ myself I can only say what I do in Excel. Re. Question 1. I list by publisher first then title. If the publisher changes I have a "Notes" column that I enter something like: "issues 6-10 published by Eclipse"

Question 2. I title the books by how they are titled in the indicia. If it starts with "The" then I use it.

Thanks, Jayman. Some followups:

Q1: So let's take Astro City as an example. Volume 1 was published by Image/Wildstorm. Vol 2 by Image/Wildstorm/Homage. Vol 3 by DC. So DC is first alphabetically - you'd only have the DC issues listed, then a note to the other publishers? And physically - were they located in different boxes? 

Q2: That makes sense. 

Appreciate it! Other folks have comments?

2 hours ago, CollectorsComicsOnline said:

Thanks, Jayman. Some followups:

Q1: So let's take Astro City as an example. Volume 1 was published by Image/Wildstorm. Vol 2 by Image/Wildstorm/Homage. Vol 3 by DC. So DC is first alphabetically - you'd only have the DC issues listed, then a note to the other publishers? And physically - were they located in different boxes? 

Q2: That makes sense. 

Appreciate it! Other folks have comments?

Yes DC would come first alphabetically with a note to other publishers (if that's how you like it set up), but you could always list title first then publisher if that makes more sense to you. And I physically keep my title runs together, issue order regardless of publisher changes.

Hello,

Welcoming myself to the CGC Forums and wanted to do an intro.

I'm fairly new here and I've been browsing the forums to educate myself on the current happenings of the comic collectable hobby. I've collected as a kid 25+ years ago and started in the late 80's and continued into the mid 90's. Recently I have been reawakened to collecting and I've even had the privilege to purchase several comics from board members here. I'm a huge fan of mostly Silver age (just really admire the covers of this era) & some Bronze aged comics. My favorite Marvel comics are Iron Man, Spiderman, & Avengers. My favorite D.C. comics are Swamp Thing, Bat Man, & Wonder Woman. My favorite Independent comics are Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles, Aliens/Predator/Terminator series & The Walking Dead. .... I buy comics I like and I sell comics to buy more comics. I am a fan of the hobby and glad to be back. I'm a collector at heart and don't consider myself a speculator, investor, or an expert, however, each is needed to play their part.

I'm quite intrigued by the whole CGC "Slabbing" phenomenon and appreciate every aspect and opinion on the topic. I have sent several of my comics for grading and am very pleased with the results of how they look, the whole grading process, and having an accurate estimate of the "Fair Market Value" for my comics. I go through my brother to grade comics via CGC as he has a business/dealers account. I also sell/buy comics on eBay (eBay id: gmdeals) and hope to create a good reputation here on the CGC forums.

Mahalo & Aloha and much appreciation to be welcomed,

George

I just realized I really didn't do a proper introduction on this board.  I'm a 46 year old architectural photographer and have my B.F.A. & M.F.A. (focus in photography). I have been happily married for 14 years and have a 13 year old son. We live in Southeastern Michigan during the spring, summer, and fall, and in to La Fortuna Costa Rica during the winter. I have been an avid collector for as long as I can remember. My dad got me into it when I was very young as we collected stamps and coins together and collecting just really hit a chord in me right from the beginning. In all honesty, collecting has been one of the most consistent aspects of my entire life. I started out collecting baseball cards and Wacky Packages in the late 70's and early 80's. I had the biggest paper route in my entire county so I was making really good money for a kid my age and that money really allowed me to get far more serious about collecting. My paper route got so big that they ultimately wound up splitting it up into 4 different routes, but by that time I was pretty much done with delivering papers anyways. I accumulated a MASSIVE baseball card collection between the age of roughly 10-16. At the height of my collection, I had close to a 750,000 baseball cards (unopened wax cases, factory sets, singles, etc). I had so many that I wound up building these wooden flats that could hold 4000 cards apiece as opposed to using the 800 ct long boxes. My collection took up my entire room and almost the whole basement. I was ultimately extremely lucky as when I turned 16, my interest really took a BIG shift as I started to get interested in girls and I really wanted to buy a new car. So I sold my entire baseball card collection in 1987 to some rich kid who lives in West Bloomfield Michigan for $22,000. Book value was more than double that amount so he really did get a great deal. I wound up purchasing a brand new white 1987 Chevy Beretta and a few years later, the entire baseball card market tanked. Had I held onto my collection, I would have lost a significant amount of money. So I was extremely lucky and fortunate that I missed the collapse of the sports card market. 

Just what I collect has changed over the years, but I have definitely become more and more serious about collecting as time has gone on. I currently have more collecting hobbies than I care to admit and new one's pop up all the time. I currently collect limited edition prints, comics, 1:4 and 1:3 statues from Sideshow and Prime 1, replica weapons (mostly sci-fi), Kotobukiya Bishoujo statues, antique/vintage camera's and lenses, antique/vintage Kodak memorabilia, SX-70 Polaroid cameras, NASA/space memorabilia, limited edition playing cards, unopened original series Wacky Packages, art books & sketch books, antique glass plate negatives, vintage Belstaff & Barbour jackets, video games and video game systems, coins & bullion, wildlife stamps, etc. My wife is also a big collector. We love going to estate sales, auctions, storage bin auctions, etc. She collects antiqes, jewelry, first edition books, paintings, cat figurines, etc. 

I am also a big outdoors person. I love camping, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, scuba-diving, kayaking/canoeing, etc. And my interests include large format photography, backyard astronomy, astrophotography & solar photography, optics, meteorology, storm chasing, producing limited edition prints (mostly silver halide prints, platinum prints and lith prints), growing bonsai trees, crafting wire tree's, charcoal drawing, adult coloring, video games, watching movies, reading, surfing the net, and my single favorite activity is traveling to new locations and shooting pictures. Eventually I plan on buying an Airstream Sport, retrofitting it as a portable darkroom, and just traveling around the country shooting pictures. 

That about covers most of it. I am definitely planning on getting more serious about slabbing comics. In particular, my high grade golden age and silver age comics, hence why I really stated visiting this site and forum again. 

Edited by OrangeCrush