• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, McGyver said:

Hello all!  I'm 33 years old, I live in San Francisco and I've been collecting comics off and on since grammar school.   I've been on a 10+ year hiatus from collecting until I had one too many drinks a couple nights ago and bought $6k worth of slabbed books on ebay.  I usually don't have any issues controlling my impulses, not sure what came over me.  Perhaps I was trying to foolishly make up for 10 years of not collecting books.  At any rate, I'm here as a newbie and look forward to learning from you all.

Cheers!

Wow! What did you get, Bronze, Silver or GA?

Welcome to the Boards! (thumbsu

On 1/24/2018 at 5:28 AM, McGyver said:

Hello all!  I'm 33 years old, I live in San Francisco and I've been collecting comics off and on since grammar school.   I've been on a 10+ year hiatus from collecting until I had one too many drinks a couple nights ago and bought $6k worth of slabbed books on ebay.  I usually don't have any issues controlling my impulses, not sure what came over me.  Perhaps I was trying to foolishly make up for 10 years of not collecting books.  At any rate, I'm here as a newbie and look forward to learning from you all.

Cheers!

Ouch, those were some expensive drinks, lol. That being said, I had a similar experience so I understand all too well. I had a house fire back in 2008 and lost everything and I do mean everything. Not a single thing was salvageable. I was fully insured so I was made whole financially, but it was still absolutely devastating as I was a collecting junkie and had put decades into many of my collections. Plus I had things like original pieces of art and over 15 years of photography negatives that could never be replaced. I was so devastated I swore I would never collect anything ever again. Roughly 3 years later I wound up buying a single Michael Turner print on eBay, just on a whim. Receiving that print in the mail basically reawakened the collector in me and I proceeded to spend like $15,000 over the next 3-4 weeks, rebuying many of the comics, statues, prints etc. that I had lost in the fire. I think my mailman thought I was having some sort of midlife crisis as I was getting like 10-15 packages a day for that first month. Strangely, it actually wound up being very cathartic. Each collectible that I wound up replacing made me feel a little bit more whole again, if that makes any sense at all. And I have been collecting again ever since. I guess its just in the blood for some people. 

Anyways, welcome to the board! Sounds like you got some solid books to start things off again. 

Hi all, 

27 year old from merry old England, been lurking on the boards for a number of months as I started collecting just last year (august). 

My collection at present is not fantastically sizeable but throughly enjoying the chase given that around me locally there is only one comic store and the back issues on offer don't amount to a huge collection. And are slightly above the market price (in general). My purchases have been restricted to eBay generally,  biggest score personally so far is an ASM 63 in about a 5.0 for £10 (roughly $15) 

Interested in mainly Silver and Bronze Age and Marvel is my "side" of choice. 

Cheers

T

5 hours ago, t-mase said:

Hi all, 

27 year old from merry old England, been lurking on the boards for a number of months as I started collecting just last year (august). 

My collection at present is not fantastically sizeable but throughly enjoying the chase given that around me locally there is only one comic store and the back issues on offer don't amount to a huge collection. And are slightly above the market price (in general). My purchases have been restricted to eBay generally,  biggest score personally so far is an ASM 63 in about a 5.0 for £10 (roughly $15) 

Cheers

T

Welcome to the Boards :) 

I hope that you find some deals on line or another bookstore opens :wishluck:

47 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Welcome to the Boards :) 

I hope that you find some deals on line or another bookstore opens :wishluck:

Fingers crossed but it needs be I will travel to get the right deals, who knows perhaps the shop near me will expand their back catalogue somewhat and make it more accessible the fun is in the chase though, they say 

12 hours ago, t-mase said:

Hi all, 

Cheers

T

Welcome to the boards!

Hello all. Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Tom ive been lurking for years but never got around to participating in discussions. Some of you might recognize me from the forums across the street but I haven't been active in the last year. Bought a house, new car, promotion at work and going back to school after 15years out has made for a busy schedule. 

Got the itch again recently and hooked up on a little golden age collection that should be in route. So I need somewhere to humblebrag? Check out the golden age forum in the future if you want to see more.

I hope to get more involved in the community as I get back into my books this go around. 

Hi, started collecting during the 1970s, stopped after the 80's. All my comics are Silver or Bronze for most part. Still have most of my collection but learning about grading and selling off a few. I have a preference for Iron Man and Avengers, so keeping most of those .. Also really loved Unknown Soldier for years

1 minute ago, Ak49 said:

Hi, started collecting during the 1970s, stopped after the 80's. All my comics are Silver or Bronze for most part. Still have most of my collection but learning about grading and selling off a few. I have a preference for Iron Man and Avengers, so keeping most of those .. Also really loved Unknown Soldier for years

Welcome!

On 11/2/2013 at 2:40 PM, thunsicker said:

Good point. The other thing I forgot is I'm just starting to collect Sienkiewicz covers.

hm

Good man! I'm a Sienkiewicz collector as well. The majority of my stuff is not from marvel/DC. I have books and card sets(from Eclipse circa 1992).

Hello everyone! Been an on and off collector since I was 10(47years ago...). I'm on my fourth(and final-I'm dying with this one!) collection. I would define it as eclectic. I'm into underground comix, trading card sets(mostly politically oriented) from late 80s/early nineties. Also into Heavy Metal Magazine. I have all of the first wave of monthly issues, 1977-1985. I'm just starting to collect the quarterly issues that followed them. I tend to follow and collect the heavy hitter artists from this time. You know, Moebius, Richard Corben, Enki Bilal, Berni Wrightson, Howard Chaykin, Milo Manara, Charles Burns, etc. I also collect the old Warren magazines from the 60s & 70s(Creepy & Eerie), The Comics Journal, Mad Magazine. I have a few Silver/Bronze Marvels, mostly favorite issues I had when I was a kid. Anyway, I'm down here in Louisiana and have nobody to talk shop with. Looking for y'all out there who are also into these things. Looking to learn from y'all and possibly you learn from me, as I have amassed a semi-vast knowledge on these subjects.  My name is Michael (my friends call me Trog). Looking forward to conversing with you!

6 hours ago, CHEECH WIZARD said:

Hello everyone! Been an on and off collector since I was 10(47years ago...). I'm on my fourth(and final-I'm dying with this one!) collection. I would define it as eclectic. I'm into underground comix, trading card sets(mostly politically oriented) from late 80s/early nineties. Also into Heavy Metal Magazine. I have all of the first wave of monthly issues, 1977-1985. I'm just starting to collect the quarterly issues that followed them. I tend to follow and collect the heavy hitter artists from this time. You know, Moebius, Richard Corben, Enki Bilal, Berni Wrightson, Howard Chaykin, Milo Manara, Charles Burns, etc. I also collect the old Warren magazines from the 60s & 70s(Creepy & Eerie), The Comics Journal, Mad Magazine. I have a few Silver/Bronze Marvels, mostly favorite issues I had when I was a kid. Anyway, I'm down here in Louisiana and have nobody to talk shop with. Looking for y'all out there who are also into these things. Looking to learn from y'all and possibly you learn from me, as I have amassed a semi-vast knowledge on these subjects.  My name is Michael (my friends call me Trog). Looking forward to conversing with you!

Welcome!

On 3/1/2018 at 12:18 PM, Maverickcomics said:

Hello all. Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Tom ive been lurking for years but never got around to participating in discussions. Some of you might recognize me from the forums across the street but I haven't been active in the last year. Bought a house, new car, promotion at work and going back to school after 15years out has made for a busy schedule. 

Got the itch again recently and hooked up on a little golden age collection that should be in route. So I need somewhere to humblebrag? Check out the golden age forum in the future if you want to see more.

I hope to get more involved in the community as I get back into my books this go around. 

On 3/5/2018 at 6:07 PM, Ak49 said:

:tink:

Welcome to the boards!

Hi! I never really read comics when I was younger, but loved the DC and Marvel animated universes quite a bit. I started reading comics a year and a half ago or so, mostly current comics and well-regarded runs. I know full well that my collection is probably worth about eight dollars, but let me say I've sure spent more than that so far!

On 3/6/2018 at 10:57 PM, CHEECH WIZARD said:

Also into Heavy Metal Magazine. I have all of the first wave of monthly issues, 1977-1985. I'm just starting to collect the quarterly issues that followed them.

I just picked up some Heavy Metal off of the money pit that is ebay, because I wanted a copy of #284 with The Savage Sword of Jesus Christ. Heavy Metal is good fun, and I subscribed to the current issues since it's still going strong.