• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

Hello one and all -

Just joined as I am contemplated getting some of my books slabbed that I didn't realize could be more valuable than I had thought.  Not talking $1000s worth, more double digit or low triple digit $$s.

I started collected comic books when I was about 12.  Started with GI Joe ARAH and it kind of expanded there.  Had some down times and actually sold my GI Joe portion of my collection at one time for a meager amount of $$ and regretted it ever since.  I have since started to try to re-accumulate my collection (slowly, but surely).  My collection is probably predominantly Marvel with the next large portion being IDW (they got me with childhood properties such as GI Joe, TMNT, Transformers, etc.).  Outside of single issues I do have a small collection of trades and graphic novels.

Will say that a good portion of my collection is from the 90s during the "speculator boom".  Can admit I fell into that trap of thinking I will strike gold if I held on long enough to one of those "#1 collector's item".  Now I am much more discriminating in what I buy new and look for books that I WANT to read.

I intend to start to go back to filling up my gaps in my collection.  

8 minutes ago, Capn17 said:

Hello one and all -

Just joined as I am contemplated getting some of my books slabbed that I didn't realize could be more valuable than I had thought.  Not talking $1000s worth, more double digit or low triple digit $$s.

I started collected comic books when I was about 12.  Started with GI Joe ARAH and it kind of expanded there.  Had some down times and actually sold my GI Joe portion of my collection at one time for a meager amount of $$ and regretted it ever since.  I have since started to try to re-accumulate my collection (slowly, but surely).  My collection is probably predominantly Marvel with the next large portion being IDW (they got me with childhood properties such as GI Joe, TMNT, Transformers, etc.).  Outside of single issues I do have a small collection of trades and graphic novels.

Will say that a good portion of my collection is from the 90s during the "speculator boom".  Can admit I fell into that trap of thinking I will strike gold if I held on long enough to one of those "#1 collector's item".  Now I am much more discriminating in what I buy new and look for books that I WANT to read.

I intend to start to go back to filling up my gaps in my collection.  

Welcome To The Boards :) Glad to have you here, and wish you the best!

17 minutes ago, J.Brown said:

Hey guys, I'm J, collector/plastic addict. Happy to finally get around to getting my own books graded instead of buying them already stabbed. Ben Templesmith is kind of a demigod according to me. 

Ahoy! Welcome to the Boards!

On 3/6/2018 at 10:57 PM, CHEECH WIZARD said:

Hello everyone! Been an on and off collector since I was 10(47years ago...). I'm on my fourth(and final-I'm dying with this one!) collection. I would define it as eclectic. I'm into underground comix, trading card sets(mostly politically oriented) from late 80s/early nineties. Also into Heavy Metal Magazine. I have all of the first wave of monthly issues, 1977-1985. I'm just starting to collect the quarterly issues that followed them. I tend to follow and collect the heavy hitter artists from this time. You know, Moebius, Richard Corben, Enki Bilal, Berni Wrightson, Howard Chaykin, Milo Manara, Charles Burns, etc. I also collect the old Warren magazines from the 60s & 70s(Creepy & Eerie), The Comics Journal, Mad Magazine. I have a few Silver/Bronze Marvels, mostly favorite issues I had when I was a kid. Anyway, I'm down here in Louisiana and have nobody to talk shop with. Looking for y'all out there who are also into these things. Looking to learn from y'all and possibly you learn from me, as I have amassed a semi-vast knowledge on these subjects.  My name is Michael (my friends call me Trog). Looking forward to conversing with you!

Hey Trog, Welcome to the boards. There are a few of us who collect the Warren horror books. 

Names Jorge, I mainly collect Marvel but also DC and for a while Boundless. I'm starting to collect slabs and hopefully get some slabbed  from my collection. Any of you guys purchase SS store exclusives

14 minutes ago, JP_rez said:

Names Jorge, I mainly collect Marvel but also DC and for a while Boundless. I'm starting to collect slabs and hopefully get some slabbed  from my collection. Any of you guys purchase SS store exclusives

Welcom Jorge! Glad you'll have some to send in and test your grading. :)

SS store exclusives are discussed some in the Dell Otto thread in the modern forum, with the bulletproof editions. 

Well, being a total Noob, I placed my introduction in the wrong place :-\ Sorry about that! Long time lurker that finally got around to registering. Love looking at the books everyone posts. Huge Spidey fan looking to complete my ASM complete run this year. Happy hunting!

Spoiler
Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Well, being a total Noob, I placed my introduction in the wrong place :-\ Sorry about that! Long time lurker that finally got around to registering. Love looking at the books everyone posts. Huge Spidey fan looking to complete my ASM complete run this year. Happy hunting!

Hide contents
  Hide contents

Welcome to the Boards!!!

1 hour ago, Not A Clone said:

Hide contents
  Hide contents

Welcome to the boards Clone  

1 hour ago, AbdulAlhazred said:

Hello all. I’ve been out of the hobby for some time, but finding it enjoyable once again. I know this place is a treasure trove of knowledge. I hope to both learn something and contribute, too. 

Oh, and I like Bronze/Copper X-Men and ASM books, and DC war books, too. 

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! :tink:

3 hours ago, AbdulAlhazred said:

Hello all. I’ve been out of the hobby for some time, but finding it enjoyable once again. I know this place is a treasure trove of knowledge. I hope to both learn something and contribute, too. 

Oh, and I like Bronze/Copper X-Men and ASM books, and DC war books, too. 

Welcome!

16 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

For those that don't frequent the WC fitness thread - this is me now...

I lost 105lbs in 16months and I'm still on track to exercising and eating right.

It's been quite a journey!

_wally

WAHOO!!! Good On You :) 

Hello all. I'm new to collecting but did read mostly X-Men back in the early 90's as a kid. I'm a Wolverine fan so am working on completing a 1988 series run. I have a nice #1 sent off for grading now and just picked up the limited series that should be here soon. Chris Claremont will be at my local show in October so I look forward to getting them signed.

I haven't been at this long ( a month or two) so my collection is limited but am mainly getting into the new Marvel reboots as a jumping on point and am also enjoying Kirkman's new title Oblivion Song. I look forward to gaining some knowledge from this board!

8 minutes ago, Maroonandwhite said:

Hello all. I'm new to collecting but did read mostly X-Men back in the early 90's as a kid. I'm a Wolverine fan so am working on completing a 1988 series run. I have a nice #1 sent off for grading now and just picked up the limited series that should be here soon. Chris Claremont will be at my local show in October so I look forward to getting them signed.

I haven't been at this long ( a month or two) so my collection is limited but am mainly getting into the new Marvel reboots as a jumping on point and am also enjoying Kirkman's new title Oblivion Song. I look forward to gaining some knowledge from this board!

Welcome :) to the Boards!!! Wolverine  =  :x