• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Legion of Super-Pets said:

Hello all! I'm new to these fine forums, but have been a fan of the site for a while. I love anything comics, and trying to just add, and add, and add to my collection lol ( and knowledge). 
Good luck and good vibes to all!:banana:

Awesome :)

Welcome to the boards!

Hello all,

I'm not really new to the boards as I joined 13 months ago but since I never formally introduced myself, here goes...

I collected superhero comics pretty diligently from ages 6 to 10 and then tapered off until quitting completely at age 13 in 1972. Most of my sizeable collection mysteriously disappeared over time and I never gave comic books much of a thought again until I discovered the Marvel Masterworks hardcover reprint books in 1992. Those books brought back waves of nostalgic memories for me. That, and my younger son's enthusiasm for superheros, got me back into collecting.

My main focus has been Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1. With the purchase of issues 8, 22 and 37 from Ricksneatstuff last night, I'm only missing 1, 4, 7 and 12 to complete the run. I have also purchased issues 5, 9 and 33 from other fine gentlemen on the boards.

Other runs I have been working on are:
-Daredevil 1 to 60 is done,
-New look Batman 164 to 200 plus some Neal Adams keys above that when I can get them. I bought a nice 227 from Solar during his massive thread. I'm semi-desperately looking for a fairly high grade 169. I love the beautiful purple cover.
-New look Detectives from 327 to 419 are complete. I had a subscription to Tec in 1967-68 because, for some reason, they weren't sold here in Winnipeg. I fondly remember receiving 16 issues from 364-379 for my 12 issue subscription.
-Silver age Superman from 122 to 201. I'm still missing a few, mostly the lower numbers. Got a bunch of these from Solar. I would very much like to get my hands on a nice 127 since it was on the stands the month I was born.

I have also obtained some silver age keys from other titles that I used to have as a kid and wanted to own again; Avengers 4, the Galactus Trilogy, Silver Surfer 1 to 18 and some other odds and ends.

That's about it. I very much enjoy the fellowship of the knowledgeable collectors on these boards and I look forward to contributing more in the future.

John

Edited by JohnH19

6 minutes ago, JasonB626 said:

Hey everyone,

Jason here. Just signed up, and fresh to the boards. Came here looking for your sage advice! Glad to meet everyone!

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Welckme to the Boards!! Have some fun! ^^

On 5/21/2018 at 5:30 PM, JohnH19 said:

Hello all,

I'm not really new to the boards as I joined 13 months ago but since I never formally introduced myself, here goes...

I collected superhero comics pretty diligently from ages 6 to 10 and then tapered off until quitting completely at age 13 in 1972. Most of my sizeable collection mysteriously disappeared over time and I never gave comic books much of a thought again until I discovered the Marvel Masterworks hardcover reprint books in 1992. Those books brought back waves of nostalgic memories for me. That, and my younger son's enthusiasm for superheros, got me back into collecting.

My main focus has been Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1. With the purchase of issues 8, 22 and 37 from Ricksneatstuff last night, I'm only missing 1, 4, 7 and 12 to complete the run. I have also purchased issues 5, 9 and 33 from other fine gentlemen on the boards.

Other runs I have been working on are:
-Daredevil 1 to 60 is done,
-New look Batman 164 to 200 plus some Neal Adams keys above that when I can get them. I bought a nice 227 from Solar during his massive thread. I'm semi-desperately looking for a fairly high grade 169. I love the beautiful purple cover.
-New look Detectives from 327 to 419 are complete. I had a subscription to Tec in 1967-68 because, for some reason, they weren't sold here in Winnipeg. I fondly remember receiving 16 issues from 364-379 for my 12 issue subscription.
-Silver age Superman from 122 to 201. I'm still missing a few, mostly the lower numbers. Got a bunch of these from Solar. I would very much like to get my hands on a nice 127 since it was on the stands the month I was born.

I have also obtained some silver age keys from other titles that I used to have as a kid and wanted to own again; Avengers 4, the Galactus Trilogy, Silver Surfer 1 to 18 and some other odds and ends.

That's about it. I very much enjoy the fellowship of the knowledgeable collectors on these boards and I look forward to contributing more in the future.

John

Welcome!

On 5/21/2018 at 4:39 PM, Legion of Super-Pets said:

Hello all! I'm new to these fine forums, but have been a fan of the site for a while. I love anything comics, and trying to just add, and add, and add to my collection lol ( and knowledge). 

Welcome! Love your name and especially your profile pic. That's awesome (worship)

Same story as a bunch of the folks who have posted above.  I've been trying to educate myself on comics and this site more than any other seems to have a wealth of knowledge.  Anyway, here is my 1st post, thanks in advance!

GO COMICS!

JJ-4 

1 hour ago, JJ-4 said:

Same story as a bunch of the folks who have posted above.  I've been trying to educate myself on comics and this site more than any other seems to have a wealth of knowledge.  Anyway, here is my 1st post, thanks in advance!

GO COMICS!

JJ-4 

Welcome to the boards! :banana:

I joined last summer but just recently saw this thread.  I've been collecting the Tick since 1988 - but as a casual collector.  I decided to take my collecting more serious and I knew virtually nothing about comic book collecting, let alone grading.  Everyone I have meet here as been super nice and helpful in educating me... and even helped me fill in a couple holes in my collection.  If you're a Tick collector my site is http://www.TickComics.com.  There are no ads or anything.  It just a site dedicated to listing all the Tick comics (and a few magazine article) related to the Tick.

-Brian

23 minutes ago, Brian Bollinger said:

I joined last summer but just recently saw this thread.  I've been collecting the Tick since 1988 - but as a casual collector.  I decided to take my collecting more serious and I knew virtually nothing about comic book collecting, let alone grading.  Everyone I have meet here as been super nice and helpful in educating me... and even helped me fill in a couple holes in my collection.  If you're a Tick collector my site is http://www.TickComics.com.  There are no ads or anything.  It just a site dedicated to listing all the Tick comics (and a few magazine article) related to the Tick.

-Brian

Welcome! Your site is awesome btw ;)

On 5/27/2018 at 4:50 PM, JJ-4 said:

GO COMICS!

JJ-4 

Welcome!

Hello, Name is Jason Gieringer and been collecting since the early 90's. Got out of the hobby for a while then in 2013 or 2014 got back in it buying graded key books from bronze then silver age. Last year and this year I really got the bug!

3 hours ago, JKG said:

Hello, Name is Jason Gieringer and been collecting since the early 90's. Got out of the hobby for a while then in 2013 or 2014 got back in it buying graded key books from bronze then silver age. Last year and this year I really got the bug!

:headbang:Jason :headbang: welcome to the boards!

On 5/21/2018 at 7:39 PM, Legion of Super-Pets said:

Welcome! :applause:

On 6/9/2018 at 8:06 AM, JKG said:

Welcome to the boards! :applause:

I’m a total newbie, hopefully this is not a double post. 

I read comics as a kid but never collected. Now in my early 50’s I’ve got the bug. I love the slabbed stuff as I'm crossing over from graded baseball cards. Selling some now to build up funds. I don’t even know how but I found myself looking at a 1969 Silver Surfer #4 in a Battle w/ Thor cover. The cover artwork just drew me in and I’m hooked. Also bought JIM #89 for the cover artwork. Also bought a few Spiderman first black costume, and SA and BA X-Men. I need to focus! I am targeting ASM #1-100 and X-Men #1-66. Knowing me I'll stray from time to time. 

Am I the only one? Does anyone else buy books for the artwork (I gotta learn my artists) or are you laser focused? Is there any preferred market pricing websites and auction houses? 

I look forward to sharing my journey and seeing others journeys as well. Great knowledge and collections I see are here. Hopefully I won’t ask to many questions. 

Now back to adding one book at a time to my collection. 

Thanks, 

Luis