• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

So I'm not a NEW CGC member, I just opted not to get into the forum discussions. No particular reason why. Since joining CGC what, over 2 years ago, I have collected about 150 CGC books. May not be many to some, but it's a start, lol. I've recently started selling CGC books and I have read this is a better place than eBay, which has left a bitter taste in my mouth after being a member with them since 2005. I'll begin to be bit more active here and get to know many of you. I'm not one to be on forums daily for very long stints but as I stated, I'm looking to network and start up selling to interested collectors. 

Have a god weekend and Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers out there.  

Hey All-
I collect golden age horror, jungle, crime, war etc.  Years ago I bought a bunch of these books to use as research/reference for some art and writing projects.  I put them away and recently rediscovered them.  Their value has increased, and so has their cool factor and personal appeal.  For me it's the stranger and more unusual the better in terms of art and writing.  Also, EC comics almost feel too mainstream for me, or too cartoonish (?), I mean EC has tons of incredibly awesome and classic stuff, but maybe because it's been so popularized, and maybe because I've grown up on Mad magazine I'm now too familiar with a lot of the artists, but whatever the reason (maybe they cost too much??), I don't have any ECs.   I collect almost exclusively the smaller publishers and artists with wonderfully crude, visionary or otherwise unique styles (L.B. Cole is a prime example). 
Anyway I look forward to getting familiar with the site!

On 5/19/2018 at 12:32 PM, Wally's Comics said:

For those that don't frequent the WC fitness thread - this is me now...

I lost 105lbs in 16months and I'm still on track to exercising and eating right.

IMG_9053_sm.jpg.613685844b3061544897d8dc

It's been quite a journey!

_wally

Damn , simply awesome.

12 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Damn , simply awesome.

-super soldier serum.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:33 PM, LG99 said:

I’m a total newbie, hopefully this is not a double post. 

I read comics as a kid but never collected. Now in my early 50’s I’ve got the bug. I love the slabbed stuff as I'm crossing over from graded baseball cards. Selling some now to build up funds. I don’t even know how but I found myself looking at a 1969 Silver Surfer #4 in a Battle w/ Thor cover. The cover artwork just drew me in and I’m hooked. Also bought JIM #89 for the cover artwork. Also bought a few Spiderman first black costume, and SA and BA X-Men. I need to focus! I am targeting ASM #1-100 and X-Men #1-66. Knowing me I'll stray from time to time. 

Am I the only one? Does anyone else buy books for the artwork (I gotta learn my artists) or are you laser focused? Is there any preferred market pricing websites and auction houses? 

I look forward to sharing my journey and seeing others journeys as well. Great knowledge and collections I see are here. Hopefully I won’t ask to many questions. 

Now back to adding one book at a time to my collection. 

Thanks, 

Luis 

Welcome to all the new members.

There are at least some of us who collect for the artwork.  My collections are almost all from cover artists.  Schomburg, Steranko, Kirby, Sienkiewicz, Eisner.  Especially with slabbed comics the cover artwork is where it's at.

Hello everyone and sorry for the long intro coming! I posted a bit on the newbie boards but then saw this so I figured I'd introduce myself on here. I'm Jason. I enjoy comic book art; more specifically Silver, Bronze, Copper books; Kirby, Trimpe, Romita, Steranko, BWS, Byrne, Simonson, McFarlane, Lee and a handful of others' work. I am trying to collect the art I like plus ASM, Incredible Hulk, New Mutants (guess which two I'm missing), Batman, X-Men books; Doom, Juggernaut, and Sandman appearances along with nice cover artwork.

I used to collect about 25 years ago and ran out of time to keep the hobby so I had to give it up. I got back into collecting a few years ago when I thought that, instead of sending my friends' children some plastic trash, I'll gift a short box of comics when they're around 8 and another when they're 12. Barring any "whoopsies" it's going to be 24 short boxes.I'm about 4 years away from the bulk of the first boxes going out.

A few years ago I replied to a "comics for sale" CL ad, showed up to a garage full of longboxes, and started loading up. I went back a couple months later and loaded up again. In total, I got 6 longboxes for a really great price. Then I went to a small local show...and a private collector (Captain Savage 1,2, were the lowlights)...and another show...and to an estate sale (ASM longbox 130-330 minus some obvious ones)...and another collector (ASM 252, 361, Hulk 113, 114) ...all the while dabbling from time to time on that very popular auction site (I visit with low expectations and come away pleased with my purchases). I have been drooling at the books for sale here.

I've got about 2,500 books now; mostly bronze/copper age with a small hint of silver. Most are main title Marvel super hero books. I haven't read them all (yet) but I have paged through a good handful. It reminded me of why I started collecting when I was younger: the artwork. It pushed me into art classes in high school and even had me toying with the idea of an Art major in college. Art in college was a little too expensive so I dropped out, licked my financial wounds, and went with the (inexpensive by comparison) History major when I dropped back in after a few years as a bank teller.

I'd like to get into buying multiple longboxes or large lots, cherry-picking for gifts, for myself, for speculation, and selling the remnants. I've already got the buying part down and I've speculated that I'm sitting on a gold mine! :roflmao: Also, it sounds like fun: grading, cataloguing, tracking cost vs. sale price, photographing and posting the book, etc. (inventory was my favorite task when I was managing bars and restaurants). I want to appreciate as much comic book art as I can; maybe get some books with nice covers graded to hang (away from sunlight) on the wall. If I can sell some of those books in 40 years so that I have nicer, more absorbent diapers to soil then that's just icing on the cake.

Hi all - to introduce myself I've been a reader for close to 30 years (of just about everything marvel & DC, and some indies Sin City/Walking Dead/TMNT), but not much of a collector until the past year. I joined CGC earlier this year to start getting some of my more valuable books slabbed. I really wish I bagged and boarded everything all those years...:frown:. It's great to see such an active community here. I don't know very many folks in my everyday life that share the hobby. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the boards. I'll mostly be in the comics market forum looking for silver age books, and maybe some copper/modern. Good luck to you all with your collections!

21 minutes ago, Noble52 said:

Hi all - to introduce myself I've been a reader for close to 30 years (of just about everything marvel & DC, and some indies Sin City/Walking Dead/TMNT), but not much of a collector until the past year. I joined CGC earlier this year to start getting some of my more valuable books slabbed. I really wish I bagged and boarded everything all those years...:frown:. It's great to see such an active community here. I don't know very many folks in my everyday life that share the hobby. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the boards. I'll mostly be in the comics market forum looking for silver age books, and maybe some copper/modern. Good luck to you all with your collections!

Welcome,and have fun!

Hi everyone,

My name is Tommy. I recently got into collecting comics at the ripe age of 34. Starting out a collection, I went with what I know so Im into mostly punisher comics but ive been buying up some first appearances and multi cover error comics. Its something to take up some of my time and i enjoy reading them.

Thanks for having me here

1 hour ago, Tommy C. said:

Hi everyone,

My name is Tommy. I recently got into collecting comics at the ripe age of 34. Starting out a collection, I went with what I know so Im into mostly punisher comics but ive been buying up some first appearances and multi cover error comics. Its something to take up some of my time and i enjoy reading them.

Welcome to the Boards!

On 6/26/2018 at 3:27 PM, jas1vans said:

Hello everyone and sorry for the long intro coming! I posted a bit on the newbie boards but then saw this so I figured I'd introduce myself on here. I'm Jason. I enjoy comic book art; more specifically Silver, Bronze, Copper books; Kirby, Trimpe, Romita, Steranko, BWS, Byrne, Simonson, McFarlane, Lee and a handful of others' work. I am trying to collect the art I like plus ASM, Incredible Hulk, New Mutants (guess which two I'm missing), Batman, X-Men books; Doom, Juggernaut, and Sandman appearances along with nice cover artwork.

I used to collect about 25 years ago and ran out of time to keep the hobby so I had to give it up. I got back into collecting a few years ago when I thought that, instead of sending my friends' children some plastic trash, I'll gift a short box of comics when they're around 8 and another when they're 12. Barring any "whoopsies" it's going to be 24 short boxes.I'm about 4 years away from the bulk of the first boxes going out.

A few years ago I replied to a "comics for sale" CL ad, showed up to a garage full of longboxes, and started loading up. I went back a couple months later and loaded up again. In total, I got 6 longboxes for a really great price. Then I went to a small local show...and a private collector (Captain Savage 1,2, were the lowlights)...and another show...and to an estate sale (ASM longbox 130-330 minus some obvious ones)...and another collector (ASM 252, 361, Hulk 113, 114) ...all the while dabbling from time to time on that very popular auction site (I visit with low expectations and come away pleased with my purchases). I have been drooling at the books for sale here.

I've got about 2,500 books now; mostly bronze/copper age with a small hint of silver. Most are main title Marvel super hero books. I haven't read them all (yet) but I have paged through a good handful. It reminded me of why I started collecting when I was younger: the artwork. It pushed me into art classes in high school and even had me toying with the idea of an Art major in college. Art in college was a little too expensive so I dropped out, licked my financial wounds, and went with the (inexpensive by comparison) History major when I dropped back in after a few years as a bank teller.

I'd like to get into buying multiple longboxes or large lots, cherry-picking for gifts, for myself, for speculation, and selling the remnants. I've already got the buying part down and I've speculated that I'm sitting on a gold mine! :roflmao: Also, it sounds like fun: grading, cataloguing, tracking cost vs. sale price, photographing and posting the book, etc. (inventory was my favorite task when I was managing bars and restaurants). I want to appreciate as much comic book art as I can; maybe get some books with nice covers graded to hang (away from sunlight) on the wall. If I can sell some of those books in 40 years so that I have nicer, more absorbent diapers to soil then that's just icing on the cake.

Welcome to the boards (thumbsu

On 6/29/2018 at 3:49 PM, Noble52 said:

Welcome :)

9 hours ago, Tommy C. said:

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the boards!! :applause:

Good day to all the members of the board. Have been a buyer and seller of collectible comics and other types of Collectibles for many decades. My items for sale in rare Comics range from Golden Age to present. Residing now in Thomasville Georgia !

Edited by Michael Jarosz

6 minutes ago, Michael Jarosz said:

Good day to all the members of the board. Have been a buyer and seller of collectible comics and other types of Collectibles for many decades. My items for sale in rare Comics range from Golden Age to present. Residing now in Thomasville Georgia !

Welcome! :banana:

Hey all, just getting back into comics in the last year. And finally sent away for my first slabs. My comics took a huge boast when hastings closed. Picked up about 400 comics at .06 to .10 a book. Since then I filled out my red lantern series to completion. And realized after reading them all just how much it requires you buy into all the series >.< so here I am 12 mo ths later with 1500 comic books lol. The series am most focused on right now is filling out all of the daredevil comic books, and his cross overs :) A lengthy task that i have learned to slow down on before I have to sell my house to pay for all the comics I want today lol. 

Otherwise loving reading the old series books. And finding my interest is in more of the silver and early bronze comics. The art is amazing! And the evolution of the story drags you in! Even started a wall for displaying my favorites :)