• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

Howdy! I'm Samantha and I accidentally ended up in the world of comics about seven years ago. I was working and going to college full-time when, a few months before I graduated, I was involved in a car crash (hit by a drunk driver). I quit my job to recuperate and focus on finishing my degree. When I started to look for a new job, my dad mentioned that his friend who owned a small business was looking to hire a bookkeeper. I jumped at the chance not really knowing what I was getting into and was hired sight unseen! Turns out I took a job at a comic book store, and even though I knew nothing about comics, I jumped right in and, in the six years I worked there, I learned so much about comics that I can't help but them! The first thing that drew me to them was the art--I love art and I love to paint a little bit too. I learned how to grade, press, and actually read comics haha! So, I "retired" from working at the shop in Jan. 2017 and although I do not miss working there, I do miss having conversations and connecting with people about comics. I decided to join the boards in an effort to learn all I can about this industry and comics in general with meaningful conversations with other comic enthusiasts, and I look forward to chatting with y'all! 

6 hours ago, burritodeluxe said:

Howdy! I'm Samantha and I accidentally ended up in the world of comics about seven years ago. I was working and going to college full-time when, a few months before I graduated, I was involved in a car crash (hit by a drunk driver). I quit my job to recuperate and focus on finishing my degree. When I started to look for a new job, my dad mentioned that his friend who owned a small business was looking to hire a bookkeeper. I jumped at the chance not really knowing what I was getting into and was hired sight unseen! Turns out I took a job at a comic book store, and even though I knew nothing about comics, I jumped right in and, in the six years I worked there, I learned so much about comics that I can't help but them! The first thing that drew me to them was the art--I love art and I love to paint a little bit too. I learned how to grade, press, and actually read comics haha! So, I "retired" from working at the shop in Jan. 2017 and although I do not miss working there, I do miss having conversations and connecting with people about comics. I decided to join the boards in an effort to learn all I can about this industry and comics in general with meaningful conversations with other comic enthusiasts, and I look forward to chatting with y'all! 

Welcome!

Hello, I joined yesterday and already purchased something from davedawbgb. He recommended I come introduce myself here. So I am an avid comic book fan as I assume all of you are. My main Fandom is Amazing Spiderman and I am one of many guys trying to own the entire run of Amazing Spiderman. I grew up loving Marvel comics and it is my main comic love, but Green Lantern (mainly due to Geoff Johns) is another favorite. DC comics I am a fan of Green Lantern, Flash, Swamp Thing, and Wonder Woman. Marvel is Amazing Spiderman, followed by other Spider people, followed by everyone else. As far as other comics I am a huge Brian K. Vaughn fan. I own Y the Last Man #1 at 9.6 and Saga #1 at 9.8 so they are big key pieces to my collection. Past your normal Superhero comics at Marvel and DC, I love Image. My wife and I read a lot of it in waves. She is a huge Red Sonja fan, buying almost everything she finds associated with it. Outside of comics, I am a Site Reliability Engineer at Microsoft residing in beautiful Washington State. I am prior military and was sent out here by them as I am originally from the East Coast. Feel free to say hi, send a message, or if you're in the Puget Sound area and want to hang out, hit me up. 

9 minutes ago, Hivull said:

Hello, I joined yesterday and already purchased something from davedawbgb. He recommended I come introduce myself here. So I am an avid comic book fan as I assume all of you are. My main Fandom is Amazing Spiderman and I am one of many guys trying to own the entire run of Amazing Spiderman. I grew up loving Marvel comics and it is my main comic love, but Green Lantern (mainly due to Geoff Johns) is another favorite. DC comics I am a fan of Green Lantern, Flash, Swamp Thing, and Wonder Woman. Marvel is Amazing Spiderman, followed by other Spider people, followed by everyone else. As far as other comics I am a huge Brian K. Vaughn fan. I own Y the Last Man #1 at 9.6 and Saga #1 at 9.8 so they are big key pieces to my collection. Past your normal Superhero comics at Marvel and DC, I love Image. My wife and I read a lot of it in waves. She is a huge Red Sonja fan, buying almost everything she finds associated with it. Outside of comics, I am a Site Reliability Engineer at Microsoft residing in beautiful Washington State. I am prior military and was sent out here by them as I am originally from the East Coast. Feel free to say hi, send a message, or if you're in the Puget Sound area and want to hang out, hit me up. 

Awesom Hivull :) and A warm Welcome ;) to the boards!

2 hours ago, Hivull said:

Hello, I joined yesterday and already purchased something from davedawbgb. He recommended I come introduce myself here.

hm

Apparently I have a doppelganger . . .  or should I say, "doggelpanper" lol

Welcome aboard, Jake :foryou:

Hello all , I joined a few months ago after submitting my first books to cgc. I grew up in the late 70s and early 80s and like most kids in my area it was all about BMX , Music videos , Skating , Toys, Star Wars , and Hero’s. I always loved to hit my comic/music shop and grab some current issues of Hulk, Spider-Man , X-Men and a few cassette tapes.

In 1991 I was at a baseball card show and happened across a guy selling some key silver age comics. He asked a dealer , who’s table I was standing at ,if he bought comics ? The dealer declined without looking but I asked to take a look. He only had about 30 books but they were some great key silver age comics. I purchased them and tucked them away until this year. So after 27 years I finally submitted my first books. I appreciate the knowledge and the foundation that everyone here has laid and thanks for lending a ear. 

Edited by Lamborghinikid

50 minutes ago, Lamborghinikid said:

Hello all , I joined a few months ago after submitting my first books to cgc. I grew up in the late 70s and early 80s and like most kids in my area it was all about BMX , Music videos , Skating , Toys, Star Wars , and Hero’s. I always loved to hit my comic/music shop and grab some current issues of Hulk, Spider-Man , X-Men and a few cassette tapes.

In 1991 I was at a baseball card show and happened across a guy selling some key silver age comics. He asked a dealer , who’s table I was standing at ,if he bought comics ? The dealer declined without looking but I asked to take a look. He only had about 30 books but they were some great key silver age comics. I purchased them and tucked them away until this year. So after 27 years I finally submitted my first books. I appreciate the knowledge and the foundation that everyone here has laid and thanks for lending a ear. 

Sweet deal :)

welcome to the boards!!

I loved lambo's as a kid in pictures, I did get a kick out of that t.v. show "Viper" about the car that could turn invisible or something like that lol

Hello CGC! Signed up fairly recently as I started collecting and visiting my LCS more frequently in 2017.  Didn't collect comics as a kid because parents thought it a waste of money, but that didn't stop the Marvel/DC/Image fandom as an adult (and more recently IDW).  Started out with the Dark Nights Metal series and completed it along with the one-shots and tie-ins. I'm looking forward to the DC black label books slated for this year.  Currently on a Marvel binge and picking up the likes of Venom (Cates story), Multiple Man, and Doctor Strange.  Going into next year I'll be slowing down the comic purchases because the wife and I are expecting our first kid.  I can't wait to share my love of superheroes, sci-fi, and the like with him or her :bigsmile:

I'm David -

Smallish collection of 300 comics, and my local comic shop gave me this site to wait for my secret wars 8. I'm hoping 8.5 at least. 

Do you guys have any good alternative storage ideas? I'm currently rocking a short box and an upside down. Ikea cabinet. 

On 8/26/2018 at 4:13 PM, das1254 said:

I'm David -

Smallish collection of 300 comics, and my local comic shop gave me this site to wait for my secret wars 8. I'm hoping 8.5 at least. 

Do you guys have any good alternative storage ideas? I'm currently rocking a short box and an upside down. Ikea cabinet. 

Welcome to the boards! :banana:

The best that I can say is keep them away from water pipes, off the floor, in air conditioning, use bags and boards, comic boxes...there are drawer boxes too. I recommend to stay with short boxes as they are easier to manage. 

If the Ikea cabinet is for statues, I would love to see some pics in the showcase room thread :foryou:

I would help you out with "alternatives", but I don't remember all of the names of all the threads that I would need to post. :sorry:

I'll post at least 1 here in a second Edit: here is a thread link to a whole school of threads @das1254

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Thread and tag...

Hey, to anyone reading this. I'm Brock, now living near ABQ, NM.

Got into comics growing up in the Northern, CA, in the 80's,  I used check out the new comic's covers in the front window of my local comic store, when my parents took me to the mall.

I got into collecting ASM, G.I. Joe, Groo, and later thanks to Batman: TAS, I became a select Batman collector.

As I got older I've started going back finding key issues of popular characters, also still learning about buying and selling CGC and CBCS slabs.

Take care!

17 hours ago, BTBPI said:

Hey, to anyone reading this. I'm Brock, now living near ABQ, NM.

Got into comics growing up in the Northern, CA, in the 80's,  I used check out the new comic's covers in the front window of my local comic store, when my parents took me to the mall.

I got into collecting ASM, G.I. Joe, Groo, and later thanks to Batman: TAS, I became a select Batman collector.

As I got older I've started going back finding key issues of popular characters, also still learning about buying and selling CGC and CBCS slabs.

Take care!

Howdy Brock! And Welcome to the Boards!! :headbang:

:hi:Hey! I’m Sawyer. I first got into comics when the x-men movies first came out, bought some volumes then just let it go. But then about 5 years ago started to get back into it. I dabbled in Marvel and DC for a time then with life happening lost it again. The past 2 years I’ve gotten into it again and have found my love of comic all over again! I love DC, The walking Dead and X-men, but i’ve branched our to some lesser known titles. Im really enjoying it and wanted to be part of a online community that will help me expand. I’m still very new and do not have much knowledge on comics. I found this site and figured it was a great place to (re)start.

Hey, I'm new, too! I'll try to keep this post short, but I wanna throw some information in here, too.

My dad tried to get me and both of my brothers (1 older, 1 younger) into Star Wars and comics early. I probably saw the original SW trilogy at least 100 times before I attended elementary school lol. After my parents divorced, on the weekends my dad had us, we always watched comic book cartoons. I was really into X-Men and Spider-Man. I collected/read strictly X-Men comics as a kid. Other than Ang Lee's Hulk, Watchmen, and the first Thor movie I have seen every comic book film in theaters with my dad in the last 20 years (and most with my younger brother).

Over the past 6 years, I take my mom to see all of them, too. We're a huge comic family.

My grandfather owned Action Comics #1, Superman #1, Detective Comics #27, and Batman #1 until 2006, when my grandparents' basement flooded. My dad says they were in seemingly perfect condition other than natural page discoloring. My grandfather was also going to give them to me after I graduated high school (2 years later), to keep, or sell for college tuition... It still hurts to this day...

I started collecting some graded books about a year ago with The Dark Knight Returns series. Before that, I bought the Marvel Famous Firsts and Civil War slipcase sets. Almost all of the books I collected as a kid were sold at some point, so I'm starting relatively fresh. I'm basically selling off my playing card collection to expand my comic collection. I have the complete run of New 52 Justice League raw, as I bought those to read before the Justice League movie came out (as an adult, Justice League usurped X-Men as my favorite comics title early on).