• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

I wrote a little story to introduce myself to everyone, called the first one. I hope you like it.

Do you remember your first one? I sure do. Well, it wasn’t exactly my first, but it was the first time I realized I was hooked. I realized I held something *special* in my hands. Something that gave me joy for reasons I couldn’t explain. 

I was about 12 years old and I had saved up all my allowance to buy a pristine copy of Amazing Spider-Man 20. The price I paid is now lost to the travails of middle aged memory, but the feeling of joy is still there. When I was a kid, on every family vacation I convinced my parents to take me to the local comic book store. This was in the 1980’s and stores were often in dark alleys and unadorned strip malls throughout the country. Until I discovered these ghetto comic book stores, the only other ways I could buy a comic was at the local Target in comic book three packs (that’s why 40 cent comics from 1979 have the slash across the UPC - they were meant to be copies 2 and 3 in the three packs).

When I spotted that Amazing Spider-Man 20, I had never seen a comic so old. And, more importantly, I had enough money! There was no hesitation, it was mine. And it still is - many decades later. 

The years went by and I collected comics on and off for a few years at a time. I haven’t collected in the last 20 years, but one day I stumbled onto comics being sold in Ebay in collector containers - with official looking grades. What are these strange things? I investigated further and that’s when I discovered CGC. 

The mad scramble began. Where are my old comics! How much are they worth! Why didn’t I buy Amazing Fantasy 15 for $1000 in the 80's?!

I gradually tracked down my old comics and realized 12 year old me did his best but didn’t know how to store stuff. I had the important stuff bagged, but nothing with backing boards and there were oh so many camics left unbagged and unloved. 

After thumbing through a couple boxes, there it was - Amazing Spider-Man 20, the crown jewel of my pithy collection. The Scorpion menacingly tossing Spidey high up in that air! In retrospect, a villain with a unbalanced, heavy tail would seem like an impediment, but 12 year old me (and now 40 year old me) didn’t care. I knew what I had to do. I had to preserve it, I had to get it graded.

Off to CGC it went. 

And I waited. And waited. And waited. One day a large box was delivered to my house. I had no idea what it was (it had been so long since I submitted my comics for grading). I opened it up and found the comics I sent so tenderly and impeccably packaged they could have been delivered to space. 

There it was, my Amazing Spider-Man 20. My pristine, near perfect copy, with a grade emblazoned in the top left, a grade of:

it’s no 9.8, but it’s mine and I will always love it.

10 minutes ago, cchuter said:

I wrote a little story to introduce myself to everyone, called the first one. I hope you like it.

Do you remember your first one? I sure do. Well, it wasn’t exactly my first, but it was the first time I realized I was hooked. I realized I held something *special* in my hands. Something that gave me joy for reasons I couldn’t explain. 

I was about 12 years old and I had saved up all my allowance to buy a pristine copy of Amazing Spider-Man 20. The price I paid is now lost to the travails of middle aged memory, but the feeling of joy is still there. When I was a kid, on every family vacation I convinced my parents to take me to the local comic book store. This was in the 1980’s and stores were often in dark alleys and unadorned strip malls throughout the country. Until I discovered these ghetto comic book stores, the only other ways I could buy a comic was at the local Target in comic book three packs (that’s why 40 cent comics from 1979 have the slash across the UPC - they were meant to be copies 2 and 3 in the three packs).

When I spotted that Amazing Spider-Man 20, I had never seen a comic so old. And, more importantly, I had enough money! There was no hesitation, it was mine. And it still is - many decades later. 

The years went by and I collected comics on and off for a few years at a time. I haven’t collected in the last 20 years, but one day I stumbled onto comics being sold in Ebay in collector containers - with official looking grades. What are these strange things? I investigated further and that’s when I discovered CGC. 

The mad scramble began. Where are my old comics! How much are they worth! Why didn’t I buy Amazing Fantasy 15 for $1000 in the 80's?!

I gradually tracked down my old comics and realized 12 year old me did his best but didn’t know how to store stuff. I had the important stuff bagged, but nothing with backing boards and there were oh so many camics left unbagged and unloved. 

After thumbing through a couple boxes, there it was - Amazing Spider-Man 20, the crown jewel of my pithy collection. The Scorpion menacingly tossing Spidey high up in that air! In retrospect, a villain with a unbalanced, heavy tail would seem like an impediment, but 12 year old me (and now 40 year old me) didn’t care. I knew what I had to do. I had to preserve it, I had to get it graded.

Off to CGC it went. 

And I waited. And waited. And waited. One day a large box was delivered to my house. I had no idea what it was (it had been so long since I submitted my comics for grading). I opened it up and found the comics I sent so tenderly and impeccably packaged they could have been delivered to space. 

There it was, my Amazing Spider-Man 20. My pristine, near perfect copy, with a grade emblazoned in the top left, a grade of:

it’s no 9.8, but it’s mine and I will always love it.

Nice.  Mine was Fantastic Four 50 for 6 cents at a second hand bookstore.

Hi people! I would like to tell about myself. My name is Danila, I live in the most ordinary Russian town. I am fond of comics from 12 years. It all started with the first volume of "Flash" New 52. In total, I spent about $ 7,000 on comics. And not going to stop on this. In the summer of this year, I have been pondering for a long time what will change. And I came to the conclusion that I needed a lot of CGC! Now i have The Amazing Spider-Man #252 9.6, The Amazing Spider-Man #294 9.6, Secret Wars #8 9.8, next to 250 singles, 30 Russian language Marvel/Dc hardcovers and 7 figures.

When I was 13, my dad took my younger brother and me to a comic shop on 11 Mile. I got Magneto #0, X-Men #1 (1991), X-Man #1X-Force #1, and Cable #1. All in "mint" condition, at cover price, in 2002. I can't remember if those, or the X-Men vs The Avengers full series in low-grade, were my firsts.

On 10/26/2018 at 1:37 AM, GIJane88 said:

Hi! My name is Becca- I have been a collector for 15 years or so. Started in high school with an Aquaman 9! I primarily post all my books on IG but I wanted to join to the boards as this seems like a great resource ! 

It is. Cheers from Italy. :)

Hello everyone!

Thanks for having me! I signed up a while ago but haven't delved into the boardrooms yet. I am trying to change that.

I never seriously collected when I was a kid but got introduced to collecting comics in 2010, the rest is history. 

I've kinda come full circle since then; meaning comics>slabs>signatures>sketches>commissions>OA. 

My interests include: books/art related to anti-heroes like Moon Knight, Ghost Rider & Venom. Also occult/supernatural characters like Spectre, Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Demon.

Some of my favorite artists include: Kirby, Sienkiewicz, Wrightson, Sam Keith, Esad Ribic, Drigenberg, Platt, Alamy, Del Otto, Alex Maleev, Lucio Parillo, Tradd Moore, Ryan Stegman, Daniel Warren Johnson

(I also have a yearning to own at least one piece of OA from all of the 80's comic/cartoons that I loved such as: Centurions, M.A.S.K., Silverhawks, Bravestarr, Visionaries Knights of the Magical Light, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Heathcliff, Battlebeasts, Muppet Babies, etc)

Thank you, I look forward to getting to know you and becoming a part of this community!

WWBN329.6.thumb.jpg.b41b92109394db0920289bf2e6d1187a.jpg

IMG_7039.JPG.8dac87392c810e2fa5521f78613a3291.JPG

IMG_9987.thumb.jpg.ca47a1be340b9a7d684199b75fedd0d7.jpg

IMG_9141.thumb.jpg.2c1d0a6778f2158f255b2d99713e9d09.jpg

IMG_3514.thumb.jpg.33eab89c298874d03064c0d012bc48ac.jpg

719932727_BSMK.thumb.jpg.4d5ba74e7f90873fcfaeafe81ca5f7ee.jpg

Hi, my name is Mark and recently signed up with CGC to send in some of my books for grading. I started collecting comics back in the mid seventies up until the early eighties. I've sat on my collection for the last 40 years or so. It consists of all Marvel comics, Iron man being my favorite character. 

On 9/5/2018 at 10:55 PM, DisneyDevotee said:

Hey all, I'm Jordan. Just recently stumbled onto the forms here a few hours ago when researching Disney Ducks and Looney Tunes books. I'm interested in everything but the focuses are Disney Ducks, Looney Tunes, my favorite heroes, and Archie. SA, CA, BA Western, War, and Horror have popped up on my radar, but I don't know if I'll focus on any of these series. I'm in it for the history, the art, and the stories. Started dabbling a few years ago with moderns and recently started going to cons regularly, and it's been a slippery slope from there. 

Welcome there are plenty of us horror fans here.

17 hours ago, frozencanuck said:

Hi, my name is Mark and recently signed up with CGC to send in some of my books for grading. I started collecting comics back in the mid seventies up until the early eighties. I've sat on my collection for the last 40 years or so. It consists of all Marvel comics, Iron man being my favorite character. 

Welcome! Mid seventies and even early eighties are great years for books! :headbang: for hulk xmen and iron man :foryou:

17 hours ago, frozencanuck said:

tumblr_lnv4lu27iK1qjun2ao1_250.gif

New to boards.  Gi joe comics was the beginning of the hook for me.  Just so happen to fall into baseball card shops that carried comics too.  My first years started right as wolverine and punisher began their own titles.   The violence of those comics was part of the allure.  Taste has changed now to understand the human archetypes of the character.....but love the art(and senseless violence too.). Board is great. Plan to ask many questions.

33 minutes ago, Scott51515 said:

New to boards.  Gi joe comics was the beginning of the hook for me.  Just so happen to fall into baseball card shops that carried comics too.  My first years started right as wolverine and punisher began their own titles.   The violence of those comics was part of the allure.  Taste has changed now to understand the human archetypes of the character.....but love the art(and senseless violence too.). Board is great. Plan to ask many questions.

Welcome! Hope to have many answers :headbang:

Hi everyone!

I don't know if I ever introduced myself, but I'm Johnny. I live in the United States. I'm very new to the whole comic collecting thing (It's been about 6 months). It all started with me purchasing about 300 comics at an estate sale, that I had intentions of selling on eBay, but that clearly never happened, because now I'm here. I've been using the last 6 months to fill myself with Knowledge. I have been creeping here on the boards, but haven't been super active. Just trying to learn everything. I've sent off a few groups of comics to get graded. Thank the Lord my better half has been helping me with my collecting, she won't admit it, but I think she enjoys it a little too. 

Currently focused on ASM, ASM Mini comics (dvd variants), and Iron Man.

I don't have anything too crazy yet, but I have dreams lol. My prized possessions right now, are probably Iron Man #1 (working on 1st APP), or ASM 300 (hopefully 9.6+, but I'm still waiting for it to get back to me).

I hope to gain more knowledge from all of you, and thank you for letting me be on here, and learning from all of you!