• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, KaladinStormblessed said:

Hey everyone! I joined the boards a couple months ago after inheriting a decent amount of comics from an Uncle that passed. I have loved the movies that involve the MCU since they started with Iron Man, but only recently have gotten into comics themselves. I've been researching quite a lot and made two submissions to CGC for grading already with the help of lurking here! Glad to be a part of this community, and I'm looking forward to learning even more..

Sorry for your loss :foryou: 

Still maybe it'll spur something, if you think about it or feel like it, when you get the slabs back post here and give a bit of story how your first couple of submissions went :wishluck: 

Welcome Regardless, and Hope YOU HAVE SOME FUN!

16 hours ago, Breitling88 said:

Joined the forum to find a better place to chat and learn about books and buy books as well. Seems like a great place to start since I prefer graded books!

Awesome reason for joining, welcome to the boards! :headbang: 

Hi everyone,

Lockdown has reignited my interest in comics so I've joined the forum to chat, learn about some books and fill some gaps in my collection. Seems like a great place to start

other interests include:Music / Weight-Training / Horror Movies / Sports

Hey everyone! Just joined the forums this week. Weird combination of events led me here. Been a die hard X-men fan for my whole life. Never had enough pocket money to buy every issue so had to get an issue ~ every 5/6 week or so depending on what was still available in the shops (grew up in Scotland so supply wasn't very plentiful!).

Since moving to California I always wanted to get back into collecting but never had the time. My dad passed away this past January and made me re-think a lot of things in life so decided to dive back into the things that always made me happy.

Learning about the CGC (realm?) is really fascinating. Never really knew it existed. Looking to pick up my first ever slab right now. X-Men #9 (if you have one let me know!). Not sure how much further it will go from there...it's going to be my tester to see how I feel once I have it in hand. As its my first post I just want to say a big thank you to all the folks on the boards who give so much advice and insight. It is really appreciated.

Edited by CournalCrunch

On 4/25/2020 at 6:58 PM, CournalCrunch said:

Hey everyone! Just joined the forums this week. Weird combination of events led me here. Been a die hard X-men fan for my whole life. Never had enough pocket money to buy every issue so had to get an issue ~ every 5/6 week or so depending on what was still available in the shops (grew up in Scotland so supply wasn't very plentiful!).

Since moving to California I always wanted to get back into collecting but never had the time. My dad passed away this past January and made me re-think a lot of things in life so decided to dive back into the things that always made me happy.

Learning about the CGC (realm?) is really fascinating. Never really knew it existed. Looking to pick up my first ever slab right now. X-Men #9 (if you have one let me know!). Not sure how much further it will go from there...it's going to be my tester to see how I feel once I have it in hand. As its my first post I just want to say a big thank you to all the folks on the boards who give so much advice and insight. It is really appreciated.

Welcome and Sorry for your loss :foryou:

May Diving into something you love give you some purpose! :headbang: 

Hope you enjoy X-men #9 when you find one, don't despise small beginnings :whee: 

On 4/25/2020 at 8:12 PM, Ptaylordmd said:

Hey guys, My name is Paul and I came here to learn about Comics.  Long time collector of Football Cards mostly, some Basketball.  Started Collecting Comics recently, but I have been a card collector since 1980.  Came here to learn more about the hobby.  

Looking forward to learning from you guys!

Howdy Paul! :headbang: 

Welcome!!! 

Hi guys my name is Bruce.. no not really. Finding Nemo popped into my head. Anyways...my name is Jose and i just started collecting comics this year. It's honestly a thrilling feeling  when you have that comic in your hand especially a vintage one. 

On 5/1/2020 at 5:01 PM, J HouseofM said:

Hi guys my name is Bruce.. no not really. Finding Nemo popped into my head. Anyways...my name is Jose and i just started collecting comics this year. It's honestly a thrilling feeling  when you have that comic in your hand especially a vintage one. 

And it happens again and again! I just got that feeling from a Savage Tales #1 that I recently acquired, it's like the book is so unique cause it's mine :foryou: that and I don't see it at the LCS very often ha!

Welcome Bruce, err....., Jose! To the Boards :headbang: 

Hello Everyone! 

Long time comic collector. My love for comics goes way back to the early 70's as a kid.

Bought all my comics pre-slabbed and thought I would venture out on my own and send my comics in to CGC. Was always told how complicated the submission forms were and thought I would see for myself. I was misinformed, The submission form was super simple and I watched the packing video. Just sent in my own books and cannot wait to get them back!

Happy to be here!

12 hours ago, Joey M said:

Hello Everyone! 

Long time comic collector. My love for comics goes way back to the early 70's as a kid.

Bought all my comics pre-slabbed and thought I would venture out on my own and send my comics in to CGC. Was always told how complicated the submission forms were and thought I would see for myself. I was misinformed, The submission form was super simple and I watched the packing video. Just sent in my own books and cannot wait to get them back!

Happy to be here!

Welcome to the boards :)

Good luck on you're submission!

If and when you get them back, post pics of the slabs in this thread

We'd love to check them out!

14 hours ago, Joey M said:

Hello Everyone! 

Happy to be here!

Welcome to the boards! @Joey M

On 5/1/2020 at 2:03 PM, Gabbert319 said:

So how is everyone fairing with the "plague"? I finally submitted my first order this week... Mind you I signed up last June. Don't judge lol

Welcome @Gabbert319! The first rule of CGC submissions is “Don’t talk about CGC submissions!”...No wait..that’s the first rule of Newton Rings. (tsk) 

The first rule of CGC submissions is “show and tell all you care to share!”(thumbsu

Hello, I'm new to the cgc community. About to get my first books back, and although everything with cgc has been excellent, one thing does throw me off. I noticed only one of the 6 books had grading comments. Somewhat disappointed considering two graded way lower than expected. I'd love to know the graders thoughts and reasoning. All in all still better and easier than expected.

Edited by CJH2
Misspell

On 5/8/2020 at 9:13 PM, CJH2 said:

Hello, I'm new to the cgc community. About to get my first books back, and although everything with cgc has been excellent, one thing does throw me off. I noticed only one of the 6 books had grading comments. Somewhat disappointed considering two graded way lower than expected. I'd love to know the graders thoughts and reasoning. All in all still better and easier than expected.

Welcome! Ya graders notes are left up to discretion of the grader I believe, sometimes we don't get them...

welcome to the boards! Hope there are more submissions  :)

I have a familiar story. Started reading Marvel in the '60s, starting with Spider-man #30s. Quickly expanded to read mostly all Marvel titles. I tried to fill in gaps by visiting used book stores in town and picked up quite a few. Not many high grades, and I never completed the first 100 of any title. Kept the books neatly stacked in boxes, left for college, and returned to find them exactly where I left them (thanks, Mom!). Put them in bags sometime in the early '80s. Somewhere along the line I ended up with some other titles such as Black Panther #1, Conan #1, Ghost Rider #1, etc., in great, if not perfect, condition. Most of the books have been neatly stored bagged and carded in long boxes and haven't seen the light of day in 40 years or more. I've been tempted to get them graded over the years and never took that big step. I've decided that there's no better time than now, so I'm just starting out on the journey of knowledge to figure out the next best steps, such as press or not to press, just send in and hope for the best, etc. Trying to avoid any stupid mistakes along the way. Cheers, and I look forward to learning from the community.

18 hours ago, CHodges said:

I have a familiar story. Started reading Marvel in the '60s, starting with Spider-man #30s. Quickly expanded to read mostly all Marvel titles. I tried to fill in gaps by visiting used book stores in town and picked up quite a few. Not many high grades, and I never completed the first 100 of any title. Kept the books neatly stacked in boxes, left for college, and returned to find them exactly where I left them (thanks, Mom!). Put them in bags sometime in the early '80s. Somewhere along the line I ended up with some other titles such as Black Panther #1, Conan #1, Ghost Rider #1, etc., in great, if not perfect, condition. Most of the books have been neatly stored bagged and carded in long boxes and haven't seen the light of day in 40 years or more. I've been tempted to get them graded over the years and never took that big step. I've decided that there's no better time than now, so I'm just starting out on the journey of knowledge to figure out the next best steps, such as press or not to press, just send in and hope for the best, etc. Trying to avoid any stupid mistakes along the way. Cheers, and I look forward to learning from the community.

Sounds Great! :headbang: 

You've invested love for 40 years or more, and there will be more to come :wishluck: Keep in mind there may be mistakes made along the way, and that is ok too :) 

Hopefully any and all are minimal. It depends on your financial situation, you could press everything if you simply can afford it. But more than likely, there are keys that a press would help, depending on the book, more than others.

Take a breath and if you have a question, then try googling key terms in that question followed by the term cgccomics.com

Hopefully a past thread from the boards will appear..... :foryou: 

That's as much as I can fit into a first reply lol but wish you well, and good luck!! :tink: 

Hi,

I’m new to the CGC board. A friend told me it was a good place to find comics. I have been a collector for the past 40 years. Looking to fill some holes in the collection. I love bronze and copper age books but don’t discriminate with any era.