• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

Hi all

Technically  I’m not new to the forum but I feel like a newbie as I haven’t been here for over 3 years! I used to collect Simpsons Comics (I was no.1 in the registry for a while) and I delve in a few “hot” moderns also. I’ve also owned a few asm 129’s, a few hulk 181’s and some other keys and a ton of underground comics - mainly by Robert Crumb. 
Now that I want to get onto collecting again, I’m really unsure what to start collecting. I LOVE horror books but I’m unsure where to start with this genre. 
Anyway.... I’m not here to ask any questions, I’m just here to say hi. I look forward to chatting with you all really soon 👍

1 hour ago, Underground44 said:

Hi all

Technically  I’m not new to the forum but I feel like a newbie as I haven’t been here for over 3 years! I used to collect Simpsons Comics (I was no.1 in the registry for a while) and I delve in a few “hot” moderns also. I’ve also owned a few asm 129’s, a few hulk 181’s and some other keys and a ton of underground comics - mainly by Robert Crumb. 
Now that I want to get onto collecting again, I’m really unsure what to start collecting. I LOVE horror books but I’m unsure where to start with this genre. 
Anyway.... I’m not here to ask any questions, I’m just here to say hi. I look forward to chatting with you all really soon 👍

Do I know you, as the first thing you did was click to 'follow my posts'?

Tasmanian?

6 hours ago, Underground44 said:

Hi all

Well welcome back!  :tink:

Hope you still have some of you're old comics, be it the Simpsons or anything :wishluck:

Hello! :hi:

We're helping an older friend/neighbor downsize and he has hundreds of Golden Age comics (from 1947-1953). He took very good care of them as a child and his mother carefully packed all of them away by 1955.

He was a little kid then, so we're talking Walt Disney, Looney Tunes, Cartoon Characters, Funny Animals, and some Western.

They're seeing light for the first time in 65 years and in remarkable condition!

We setup an eBay store specifically for this collection, but we've never done this before, so not sure we're doing the right thing, and would love to hear your suggestions.

Edited by vcac
Cleaned up wording a little

On 10/28/2020 at 3:48 AM, Icctrombone said:

Hello everyone. I've been reading /collecting since around 1971. Love to discuss the geeky funny books and have nothing but respect for the creators that have built the industry . 

Welcome to the boards mate... the perfect place to discuss the geeky funny books!! 

On 10/28/2020 at 6:18 AM, peter.l said:

Hello all! Been collecting for more years then I care to admit and finally getting onto the CGC boards to learn, share and post a few of the sets I’ve been making the last few years.

One of the first drawings I remember copying was the Romita cover of Spider-man 40 when it came out. Rushing home from a Sun Drug store in Pittsburgh to grab some paper and savor Spideys’ triumph over the Goblin while wondering what it would be like to work in the industry. When I lived in Brooklyn in the 1980s the area was filled with creatives in the comics field and by the early 90s, 30 years after I copied that cover I was able to briefly work in the field where I met and made friends with many of the artists and creatives I admired. I moved on with other design opportunities after that but never lost my connection with comics or the friends I made.

Like many of us, while working and getting older, I put the books away, but now, after many years of just looking at long boxes I’m doing something with them and enjoying every minute of the journey. CGC customer service has been patient and a great help with my questions about grading and submitting books and I look forward to participating on the Boards where I'll have set questions to ask after this first post is approved!

Be safe and have fun everyone!

Hey Peter - love the story of ending up where you always wanted to, even if it was briefly.  What books are you getting graded? 

On 10/30/2020 at 5:35 PM, Underground44 said:

Hi all

Hey UG44 - I relate, I took a 3 year hiatus after the birth of my first kid and only recently returned. I didn’t realise how much I missed the hobby until I was back elbow deep in my boxes, researching and hunting books online and back here on the boards. Over those three years, I sold a bunch of books to help fund things around the house. Some I would like to get back in my collection some day but others I won’t hunt again. I came back here unsure of my focus at first but quickly found some that I am very content with. I hope you do too. 

On 10/26/2020 at 7:43 PM, Arkham said:

^ LOL!  Welcome to the boards, Arny!!  

And what a hobby to have mate!  Little bit jealous that you get to enjoy it with your wife. (My wife doesn’t get into comics).

Welcome to the boards!! 

For organising your collection, I’ve tried a few things (and many here will swear black and blue that Excel is all you need), but I am a massive advocate for Collectorz software. It makes adding your collection a breeze (scan with barcode and get all core issue data pre-populated), supports a bunch of personalised data and viewing it on any device anywhere easy as. Worth checking out: https://www.collectorz.com

How good was that first run of American Vampire? :x 

I am truly blessed she likes to be a apart of my comic craze. Since the lockdowns, she reads more than me on digital.

We had been using Excel, but I can't wait to try that site you suggested. Thank you!

Hello all, I’m here in Northern California and I’ve always had the comic collecting bug in me but I could just not get around to it.  I mean really I started when I was 9 years old and I still have my comics.  For some reason I’m just starting to wake up to what key comics are.  My teenage years revolves around the 1990’s and all I remember was Marvel and X-Men and my favorite Wolverine. I plan on collecting as much Wolverine as I can and seeing where this takes me.  I have buddies that collect but it’s like using pliers to ask them for advice or how to get started collecting.  

So I’m taking my own initiative and the hunt begins!!!  Thanks for reading this in advance!  c5994d1fde4036925b7a958b50571efa--marvel

Hello everyone!

Just joined today so I could post a question about mylar bags LOL...  So my hello post is actually my second one...  No one's ever said I do things in the right order LOL

I just started collecting comics...  I am a massive fan of The Walking Dead so I started collecting the Walking Dead Deluxe comics that just came out - Been a fan of zombie movies since I was a young buck in the 80's :wink: 

Just wanted to say hello to everyone!

Cheers from Canada!

Oliver

16 hours ago, LastRonin80 said:

I have buddies that collect but it’s like using pliers to ask them for advice or how to get started collecting. 

Tell them to come see me. LOL. There's a ton of info here,  you just have to sift through it.

WTTB

12 hours ago, pyrotechnix said:

Hello everyone!

Just joined today so I could post a question about mylar bags LOL...  So my hello post is actually my second one...  No one's ever said I do things in the right order LOL

I just started collecting comics...  I am a massive fan of The Walking Dead so I started collecting the Walking Dead Deluxe comics that just came out - Been a fan of zombie movies since I was a young buck in the 80's :wink: 

Cheers from Canada!

Oliver

Welcome! The walking dead phenom is well deserved, there is a thread in the modern section devoted to it too.

Stick around :tink:

1 hour ago, Speedtwin said:

Hi all, Paul here...

Recreational collecting for years and lean towards Silver/Bronze DC and old ACG but certainly like Silver/Bronze Marvel also...

Just sent out my first group of comics for grading today! 

Cheers!

We're crossing our fingers with you!:wishluck::wishluck::wishluck:

:tink:welcome to the boards!

On 11/6/2020 at 7:43 AM, LastRonin80 said:

I’ve always had the comic collecting bug in me but I could just not get around to it.  I mean really I started when I was 9 years old and I still have my comics.  For some reason I’m just starting to wake up to what key comics are.  

LOL - your wallet probably thanked you for that for years. It’s all over now though buddy. Tell your bank account to brace for impact. 

I recommend checking out http://keycollectorcomics.com to help you on your journey for keys. I don’t know who runs it, but it’s a damn good app. 

On 11/6/2020 at 12:14 PM, pyrotechnix said:

Hello everyone!

Cheers from Canada!

Oliver

Hi Oliver, 

Welcome to the boards! How freaking cool is the deluxe release? I’m loving the extras in “the cutting room floor”.

Did you get your answer about the bags? This might have the answers that you are looking for: 

On 11/7/2020 at 6:21 AM, Speedtwin said:

Hi all, Paul here...

Recreational collecting for years and lean towards Silver/Bronze DC and old ACG but certainly like Silver/Bronze Marvel also...

Just sent out my first group of comics for grading today! 

Cheers!

Hey Paul - welcome to the boards. I’m all about DC myself - seems rare these days!  What books did you send out for grading? Hope they grade high mate. 

On 11/8/2020 at 8:14 AM, horrorfan70 said:

Hello. I've gotten back into collecting after a ten year hiatus. I like pre-code horror and Bernie Wrightson.

Definitely collectible, glad you're back, and welcome to the boards!

The wrightson stuff is posted every once in a while, will be glad to see more!

13 hours ago, woodsvpn said:

New collector here.  I have collect just over 100 books.  This past week, I received my first CGC submissions back.  All were graded 9.8s.  Very happy!  Thanks for all the info posted here!

Glad you picked them up quick, congrats on the cgc sub! 

Welcome to the boards! 

:tink: