• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hello,

Happy New Year, everyone. My name is Michael, and I am a comic book collector. I do not recall when I started, but when I run my statistic in Comic Connects, the year 1972 is when my collection bumped up to over a book a week.  

My peak years were 1976 and 1993, and the collection grew to around 11,779 books, most Marvels, with DC and Image as runner ups.

I met Stan Lee and the incredible comic fan base for the first time at the Commodore Hotel in NYC for the comic book convention in 1976 and fell in love with collecting. Working from home during COVID allowed me to dig out my collection, which I had neatly packed away since I last bought a book in 1999.  

With the help of eBay and YouTubes (eta nick and Regie collects Comics my favorites), I started the process of getting my collection down to a size that can fit in the guest room with my 12” GI Joes, the other collection I need to shrink.

I am learning how to sell comics. I got started with CGC and my first submissions, and ten books had two 9.8s, a Star Wars #1, and an Iron Fist #14. Those books promptly sold and funded my next round of submissions for grading. After a few lessons online, I’ve decided to focus on my Batman silver age books.  

It is the time of my life looking back through the collection and learning to grade books, finding the gems in my collection now worth much more than the cover price. The greatest surprise has been how some characters I loved, like Killrave (Amazing Adventures 18 to 39, Warrior of the Worlds in a storyline based loosely on the War of the Worlds), never caught on, while Ghost Rider did so well.  

Have a great 2021, and let me know if I might have a book you’re after!

Hi All I am new to the boards got introduced to the site by a friend and have been amazed at all the awesome collections I have seen so far. I have been collecting since the late 90's and have a main interest in Batman, Daredevil Fantastic Four and Star Wars comics. Hoping to see some awesome collections and looking forward to being able to connect with fellow comic fans and get some advice on collecting as well. 

Hope everyone is having a great new year. 

On 1/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, Mjh097 said:

Hello,

Happy New Year, everyone. My name is Michael, and I am a comic book collector. I do not recall when I started, but when I run my statistic in Comic Connects, the year 1972 is when my collection bumped up to over a book a week.  

My peak years were 1976 and 1993, and the collection grew to around 11,779 books, most Marvels, with DC and Image as runner ups.

I met Stan Lee and the incredible comic fan base for the first time at the Commodore Hotel in NYC for the comic book convention in 1976 and fell in love with collecting. Working from home during COVID allowed me to dig out my collection, which I had neatly packed away since I last bought a book in 1999.  

With the help of eBay and YouTubes (eta nick and Regie collects Comics my favorites), I started the process of getting my collection down to a size that can fit in the guest room with my 12” GI Joes, the other collection I need to shrink.

I am learning how to sell comics. I got started with CGC and my first submissions, and ten books had two 9.8s, a Star Wars #1, and an Iron Fist #14. Those books promptly sold and funded my next round of submissions for grading. After a few lessons online, I’ve decided to focus on my Batman silver age books.  

It is the time of my life looking back through the collection and learning to grade books, finding the gems in my collection now worth much more than the cover price. The greatest surprise has been how some characters I loved, like Killrave (Amazing Adventures 18 to 39, Warrior of the Worlds in a storyline based loosely on the War of the Worlds), never caught on, while Ghost Rider did so well.  

Have a great 2021, and let me know if I might have a book you’re after!

13 hours ago, Batman Fett said:

Hi All I am new to the boards got introduced to the site by a friend and have been amazed at all the awesome collections I have seen so far. I have been collecting since the late 90's and have a main interest in Batman, Daredevil Fantastic Four and Star Wars comics. Hoping to see some awesome collections and looking forward to being able to connect with fellow comic fans and get some advice on collecting as well. 

Awesome Michael welcome :) 

Glad to have y'all here, Welcome @Batman Fett That's a cool name too! @Mjh097 Sweet to have y'all!

Hi Everyone!

Happy New Year! My name is Wes, i just joined the CGC boards today. I started collecting in 1984 and peaked in 1990. I collect: Marvel (Punisher, Spider-Man, Wolverine), DC (Batman, Detective), and a lot of Sci-Fi or fantasy related books that catch my eye. I bought the CLZ app recently and finally cataloged and organized my collection of about 1000 books. I was drawn here by a google search after looking into CGC grading of my most valuable books, and will soon submit a few scans for grading here in your "Hey buddy can you spare a grade" board. I am reading your various guides now ,which led me here to the intro's board. I hope to learn as much as i can, while enjoying a hobby i have drifted away from for far far too long.   Take Care & Stay Safe!

17 hours ago, Wezzlee said:

Hi Everyone!

Happy New Year! My name is Wes, i just joined the CGC boards today. I started collecting in 1984 and peaked in 1990. I collect: Marvel (Punisher, Spider-Man, Wolverine), DC (Batman, Detective), and a lot of Sci-Fi or fantasy related books that catch my eye. I bought the CLZ app recently and finally cataloged and organized my collection of about 1000 books. I was drawn here by a google search after looking into CGC grading of my most valuable books, and will soon submit a few scans for grading here in your "Hey buddy can you spare a grade" board. I am reading your various guides now ,which led me here to the intro's board. I hope to learn as much as i can, while enjoying a hobby i have drifted away from for far far too long.   Take Care & Stay Safe!

lol Hello Wes, glad to see you interested, glad there is tools to use and that you're getting along with it :) 

Hello, my name is Andrew and I just started my obscure comic collection about six weeks ago. I'm trying to collect all of the Mega Man comics from Archie Comics and after that, I may consider the Mega Man comics from other publishers. I think I've almost completed my set but I'm missing the #37 convention exclusive variant.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Mroldmanjenkins
Found the answer to my question

On 1/3/2021 at 9:46 PM, Batman Fett said:

Welcome to the boards my friend! It's about time lol! So glad you are here now, you are going to love this place! (thumbsu:banana:

4 hours ago, The Man Without Beer said:

Hello all. New member here. Longtime marvel comic book fan (40+ yrs) picking up some select books for nostalgia purposes. I put myself in the "why the hell did I get rid of my books from childhood" category. 

Hey Welcome!

20 hours ago, CheeseTurtle said:

Hey there! I'm pretty new to collecting, I only started buying comic books regularly a few years back but I've really gotten into collecting during this whole pandemic. I joined so I can learn more about collecting from all of you knowledgeable folks.

Welcome! :headbang: 

:tink: 

Hi everyone. My name is Sean. I've been reading comics on and off for a long time, started with my brothers ASM collection; Maximum Carnage was my first run I remember reading, as well as Spawn. I've only recently, within the last year or two, begun seriously collecting them. Typically I find my self collecting whatever I think is cool. The collection is small and some I got for the purposes of moving in hopes of getting the personal grails, but the rule of cool is my motivating factor.

In terms of collecting, I'm currently working on completing the entire Spawn run,  ASM first appearances (wishful thinking for AF15 but I'm working on it), as well as FF5 for Doom's first appearance. I've also caught the statue bug to an extent and am starting to see how far that rabbit hole goes.

My reading habits tend to be all over the place but Spawn is usually the constant. Along with Spawn, currently reading Doctor Doom, Eternals, Batman, Once and Future, Marneus Calgar, and Immortal Hulk.

I lurked for a while but decided to finally post. I'm glad there's a healthy community here that can appreciate the joys of this incredible hobby. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Edited by Cosmic751

13 hours ago, Cosmic751 said:

Hi everyone. My name is Sean. I've been reading comics on and off for a long time, started with my brothers ASM collection; Maximum Carnage was my first run I remember reading, as well as Spawn. I've only recently, within the last year or two, begun seriously collecting them. Typically I find my self collecting whatever I think is cool. The collection is small and some I got for the purposes of moving in hopes of getting the personal grails, but the rule of cool is my motivating factor.

In terms of collecting, I'm currently working on completing the entire Spawn run,  ASM first appearances (wishful thinking for AF15 but I'm working on it), as well as FF5 for Doom's first appearance. I've also caught the statue bug to an extent and am starting to see how far that rabbit hole goes.

My reading habits tend to be all over the place but Spawn is usually the constant. Along with Spawn, currently reading Doctor Doom, Eternals, Batman, Once and Future, Marneus Calgar, and Immortal Hulk.

I lurked for a while but decided to finally post. I'm glad there's a healthy community here that can appreciate the joys of this incredible hobby. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome Sean!  :tink:

Spawn is almost classic, glad you're enjoying the run, a good goal, and yes of those mentioned Immortal Hulk I like as well!

Hope you have fun here and get some information and or just to join in :headbang:

Hello Everyone -

My name is Joe - I used to read and collect when I was a kid until I stopped completely in the early 90's.  I'm back at it now and amazed at how things have progressed since I stopped.

My favorites back in the day were Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Punisher.  Nowadays I'm still digging those and have also gotten into the Boom and Image series like Ice Cream Man, Something is Killing the Children, and Spawn.  

I'm fascinated with all of the new sources for information and market research and how those can be used when thinking about value, pricing, and when to buy/sell.

I'm looking forward to meeting and learning from everyone.  Cheers!

38 minutes ago, MadDog-DKA said:

Hello Everyone -

My name is Joe - I used to read and collect when I was a kid until I stopped completely in the early 90's.  I'm back at it now and amazed at how things have progressed since I stopped.

My favorites back in the day were Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Punisher.  Nowadays I'm still digging those and have also gotten into the Boom and Image series like Ice Cream Man, Something is Killing the Children, and Spawn.  

I'm fascinated with all of the new sources for information and market research and how those can be used when thinking about value, pricing, and when to buy/sell.

I'm looking forward to meeting and learning from everyone.  Cheers!

Welcome Joe! :tink: lots of fun! :headbang: