• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FLIP88 said:

Long time reader first time grader... well on my own at least. 
Have a few books graded way back with a friend but now gunna do it myself. 

Going through my collection and trying to decide what to grade and what to let go :p 

the collection fever may reignite :) but enjoy it, is a good time to be a seller at the moment ;) 

I am a long time comic fan that recently joined the forums so I thought I would hello.  I'm a mid 40's BatDad to two awesome kids who I am building a collection for.

My collection consists of the following:

1. The Bedrock - The foundation of my collection from when my brother and I were kids  (1985-91).  No home runs in this part of the collection but some interesting pieces.

2. The Odd and Ends - Cool pieces I have picked up along the way

3. Current Comics - Titles and Story Arcs that I was interested in reading within the last 5 years.

4. The CGC Comics - Now this is where things got interesting.  I purchased my first CGC comic at the start of 2021 and have a total of 24 in my collection and counting.

5. The Collected Books - Book shelf material to get my reading on.

36 minutes ago, LudaToke said:

I am a long time comic fan that recently joined the forums so I thought I would hello.  I'm a mid 40's BatDad to two awesome kids who I am building a collection for.

My collection consists of the following:

1. The Bedrock - The foundation of my collection from when my brother and I were kids  (1985-91).  No home runs in this part of the collection but some interesting pieces.

2. The Odd and Ends - Cool pieces I have picked up along the way

3. Current Comics - Titles and Story Arcs that I was interested in reading within the last 5 years.

4. The CGC Comics - Now this is where things got interesting.  I purchased my first CGC comic at the start of 2021 and have a total of 24 in my collection and counting.

5. The Collected Books - Book shelf material to get my reading on.

Welcome :) 

18 minutes ago, Rekanize said:

Hi,

New here. Just need to know where I should post to see what the market value of a Hulk 340 CGC 7.5 Mark Jewelers Insert is.

lol honesty, well regarded here (thumbsu 

best bet is to look at GPAanalysis.com, but it can be tough to find sales without a paid subscription to a service that keeps track of these kinds of things.....

there are free sites like gocollect.com but it won't go into specifics of double covers or MJI's unless you get a paid service....

I have an X-men mark jewelers that I've been wondering the same, sometimes you have pay to play and hopefully it pays to play

:tink: 

Hey Everyone. 

I collected comics in the early to mid 90s, mostly X-Men and Wolverine. I still have a few of the books I collected, but recently have been trying to track down some of my favorites. I just bought my first two graded books and learned about this forum. I have a few books I am trying to hunt down and thought this forum would be a good community to join. 

Kyle 

1 hour ago, Eldude said:

Hey Everyone. 

I collected comics in the early to mid 90s, mostly X-Men and Wolverine. I still have a few of the books I collected, but recently have been trying to track down some of my favorites. I just bought my first two graded books and learned about this forum. I have a few books I am trying to hunt down and thought this forum would be a good community to join. 

Kyle 

Nice titles! Hope you find what you're looking for  :)

Hello. First time here. I've been kinda intimidated at the thought of sending books in for the longest time, but now I've figured it out. It's not so bad. The real doozy will be trying to get the money together to send some pricier books in lol. I love me some classic DC horror, and would like to get a House of Secrets #92 at some point. That's my holy grail.

3 hours ago, Ganadoslayer107 said:

Hello. First time here. I've been kinda intimidated at the thought of sending books in for the longest time, but now I've figured it out. It's not so bad. The real doozy will be trying to get the money together to send some pricier books in lol. I love me some classic DC horror, and would like to get a House of Secrets #92 at some point. That's my holy grail.

admirable :) I long for that one too, hang in there and it'll be like clockwork, Hopefully! Welcome

Craig here,

Just recently rekindled my love affair with Spider-Man and Marvel after a 20 year gap. 
When I moved out of my parents I stored the collection in the loft and I’ve now only just retrieved it. As soon as I got them out the love affair kicked back in. 
Sadly, being young I sold some key issues to find nights out and trips away so now kick myself for selling the likes of ASM 300 and 361 for next to nothing !

im now replacing what i let go and filling other blanks 

it’s good to be here folks ! 

40 minutes ago, The lips said:

Craig here,

Just recently rekindled my love affair with Spider-Man and Marvel after a 20 year gap. 
When I moved out of my parents I stored the collection in the loft and I’ve now only just retrieved it. As soon as I got them out the love affair kicked back in. 
Sadly, being young I sold some key issues to find nights out and trips away so now kick myself for selling the likes of ASM 300 and 361 for next to nothing !

im now replacing what i let go and filling other blanks 

it’s good to be here folks ! 

AWESOME :headbang: 

See the source image

On 3/25/2021 at 2:03 PM, Eldude said:

Hey Everyone. 

Kyle 

Welcome Kyle! There's a marketplace here with great sellers if you haven't seen it yet. 

20 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Welcome Kyle! There's a marketplace here with great sellers if you haven't seen it yet. 

I've already been messaging people from old for sale posts trying to track a few of these down. Really enjoying this community so far. 

Consider this my Splash page/introduction!

Hey all,

Longtime reader of the boards and to want to thank everyone for the great information they have posted over the years.

I am a collector in my early 30’s who has been collecting since the 90’s. I was young when I started collecting so I did not exactly take care of my comics back in the day. I collected sports cards and would often find comics at the same stands that I would buy cards at. The first comic I bought I still have in terrible condition (What if #36 “What if the fantastic four had not gotten their powers?”) which I bought at a Cape Cod flea market and read several times that trip. I had been an X-men fan due to the Saturday morning cartoon in the early 90’s and when I saw all of these characters in the same books over time, I would buy them when I saw them at markets, usually not stacks but just individual books. The first time I got a part of a run of comics on a recommendation from a store owner and it was several of the books in Walt Simonson’s Thor run. By the time I finished that amazing run it made we want two things.

Full runs and stories with epic inclusive conclusions!

I mostly bought toys at garage sales/rummage sales/flea markets when I was younger (As a kid you could buy 80’s Saturday morning cartoon action figures at these places for quarters as opposed to $5-$10 on one thing at Toys R Us!). At most of these venues (especially the rummage sales) they would from time to time have boxes of comics, I would always try to buy any Marvel or Green Lantern books I came across. Although I ditched the figures and such decades ago, I mostly kept the comics. I stopped actively collecting in the very early 2000’s and resumed 9 years ago. This was when the MCU took off with the avenger’s movie and it hit all the buttons that I used to love in the Marvel comics and stories.

As my career went forward, I was able to pick up books I used to think MAYBE I would be able to get some day and now never plan to sell them. As a collector I only have about 1000-1500 books and I do not care to much about the grades (If the spine is intact its fine by me!). My 2 favorites to collect are Thor and Dr Strange, Thor for the quests and Strange with some of the some of the best short story runs. Strange seemed ever present when other heroes needed to assemble for some crossover to manage an intergalactic, interdimensional or interplanar threat, plus who couldn’t he beat with a pocket dimension?!  Thanks to the advice on the boards here and some great shop/dealer recommendations as it has allowed me to “collect what I enjoy”.

Even better than collecting the original runs, some of the recommendations on these boards for reading have been awesome. Dr Strange’s “The Oath” Jason Aarons Thor run, Saga, Black Hammer etc. I might not have read these if you all did not share your interests in the community here!

Comics have always been like an awesome story board to me and so in time I will likely get into some OA with author/editor notes because damn that is cool.

P.S Saga was an amazing recommendation since it got my wonderful wife into comics as well!

P.S.S The comic book community is the best I have come across. For the past several years I have gone with my wife and stepdaughter (who has one of Alan Moore’s books listed on her reading list next year!) to con’s.  As a result alot of our home is covered in art from various artists they picked up at con’s. How the entire community treats fans of the art and stories has always been wonderful, and we cannot wait to get back to events!

9 minutes ago, Happy_Thorsday said:

Consider this my Splash page/introduction!

Hey all,

Longtime reader of the boards and to want to thank everyone for the great information they have posted over the years.

I am a collector in my early 30’s who has been collecting since the 90’s. I was young when I started collecting so I did not exactly take care of my comics back in the day. I collected sports cards and would often find comics at the same stands that I would buy cards at. The first comic I bought I still have in terrible condition (What if #36 “What if the fantastic four had not gotten their powers?”) which I bought at a Cape Cod flea market and read several times that trip. I had been an X-men fan due to the Saturday morning cartoon in the early 90’s and when I saw all of these characters in the same books over time, I would buy them when I saw them at markets, usually not stacks but just individual books. The first time I got a part of a run of comics on a recommendation from a store owner and it was several of the books in Walt Simonson’s Thor run. By the time I finished that amazing run it made we want two things.

Full runs and stories with epic inclusive conclusions!

I mostly bought toys at garage sales/rummage sales/flea markets when I was younger (As a kid you could buy 80’s Saturday morning cartoon action figures at these places for quarters as opposed to $5-$10 on one thing at Toys R Us!). At most of these venues (especially the rummage sales) they would from time to time have boxes of comics, I would always try to buy any Marvel or Green Lantern books I came across. Although I ditched the figures and such decades ago, I mostly kept the comics. I stopped actively collecting in the very early 2000’s and resumed 9 years ago. This was when the MCU took off with the avenger’s movie and it hit all the buttons that I used to love in the Marvel comics and stories.

As my career went forward, I was able to pick up books I used to think MAYBE I would be able to get some day and now never plan to sell them. As a collector I only have about 1000-1500 books and I do not care to much about the grades (If the spine is intact its fine by me!). My 2 favorites to collect are Thor and Dr Strange, Thor for the quests and Strange with some of the some of the best short story runs. Strange seemed ever present when other heroes needed to assemble for some crossover to manage an intergalactic, interdimensional or interplanar threat, plus who couldn’t he beat with a pocket dimension?!  Thanks to the advice on the boards here and some great shop/dealer recommendations as it has allowed me to “collect what I enjoy”.

Even better than collecting the original runs, some of the recommendations on these boards for reading have been awesome. Dr Strange’s “The Oath” Jason Aarons Thor run, Saga, Black Hammer etc. I might not have read these if you all did not share your interests in the community here!

Comics have always been like an awesome story board to me and so in time I will likely get into some OA with author/editor notes because damn that is cool.

P.S Saga was an amazing recommendation since it got my wonderful wife into comics as well!

P.S.S The comic book community is the best I have come across. For the past several years I have gone with my wife and stepdaughter (who has one of Alan Moore’s books listed on her reading list next year!) to con’s.  As a result alot of our home is covered in art from various artists they picked up at con’s. How the entire community treats fans of the art and stories has always been wonderful, and we cannot wait to get back to events!

Glad the spouse is in for it, that'll make it easier, and less stress; someone to pal around with and no making excuses for purchases,  :tink:

Welcome Chris!  And welcome to all the others that have joined in the last few weeks!  Flip88!  Ludatoke, Rekanize, Kyle, Ganadosslayer107, and Craig!  :golfclap:

Hi from Canada! I used to be into a few series back in the late 1990s, I've hold onto some of them out of sentimental value and thinking they wouldn't be worth much anyways. I recently began to research about their value and was quite surprised. :) I may consider grading some, still trying to know if it would be worth it - I consider myself more of a reader than a collector (though I sometimes got out of my way to get special variants, ashcans...), but I've always took good care of them (always went back in bag with cardboard backing after reading, etc). Most haven't been read more than twice, and all haven't even left their boxes in 10+ years.

I've browsed and searched the forums and many other websites, I still have some blind spots but I've learned a lot so far. :)