• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

My name is Tony. I lurked for a bit, got the "lay of the land" before posting. . .

I was in the hobby for a bit in the early-90s before I stopped. Liked X-Men, Batman, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and the Silver Surfer. Absolutely loved Infinity Gauntlet. Sometime later, when I was in the workforce, I had some expendable income and found a local comic shop about a quarter of a mile from me (had no idea it was there, even though it was at a major intersection). Picked up more copies of Infinity Gauntlet to re-read, and found both issues of Thanos Quest on eBay.

That started all of this back up. Moved to Houston, and now, with this forum and the local shops, I feel like I'm building a pretty diverse and fun collection.

Edited by Psithyrus

Hello everyone. My names Rick and I've lurked around here for a little while. Big fan of the bronze and copper ages, especially anything war related. The nineties killed any desire to collect modern stuff so I'm strictly a back issue collector. I look forward to the opportunity to learn more about my favorite hobby and maybe even contribute something once in a while.

My name is Joe. I started collecting around may if last year. I grew up watching the classic 90s xmen spider-man and batman cartoons. I never really had money for collecting comic books growing up but always read my friend's books. I got into collecting rally by accident whenbu was searching for new hobbies last year. I had gone through some health problems which prevented me from continuing my other hobbies.

I started lurking here early this year when I was looking for the best backing boards. I ran into a thread debating the various kinds of backing boards. I stayed because it became clear this forum has a lot of knowledgeable people. I don't post much because I feel I still have a lot to learn about the hobby.

Anyways, I collect Marvel keys. Last year I completed and X-men run. I'm working on a full asm and daredevil run.

My name is David. I was a big Spider-man, Superman fan in the 70s but sold my collection in 1981, what a weird time that was.. I got back into comics in 1992 until early 1994 and then it just got weird again. When I discovered eBay in 1998 I started buying Golden age to Bronze age which for me ended with Detective Comics 500.

I like everything from Dennis The Menace, Archie,Romance, Western, Harvey comics, Dell,Disney,Four Color,TV/Movie, DC, Marvel. Its funny that I never read an X-Men comic.

New members join the CGC boards everyday, but some just lurk around without saying too much. The point of this thread is to give a heartfelt welcoming, and encourage our new boardies to introduce themselves and say hi.

Hopefully, with your time spent here, you will learn some things, make some friends, and ultimately, enjoy yourselves. (thumbs u

I'll start. I'm Andy. I love DC war comics, but have branched out into every which direction you can think of. Right now, I'm right into Golden Age books and classic covers. :luhv:

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. That's how you're going to learn. :) We do, however, have a search engine, and some people may end up asking you to use it. To save yourself a potential smidgen of ridicule, you could consider trying that first. :foryou:

So, without taking up any more of your valuable time, I'll step back from the podium and pass the microphone to you.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:Welcome to the boards, my friends! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

:hi:

My name is Trey,

I collected as a kid back in the early to mid '90s and just started back in about a year ago. My favorite has always been Spider-Man and I'm working on a full ASM run now. I'm also currently working on X-Men and hope to one day have complete runs of all the big Marvel titles. I have also started picking up bronze horror books and have a few moderns I get every month.

As my username suggests I'm also big into technology and work as an IT Admin. Comics and new tech; why couldn't I have picked cheaper hobbies?

Hi, my name is Neil. I like BA/CA Uncanny X-Men, and Rai from the original VALIANT. I hope I can make some quality posts around here in the future (that's a slow-pitch, folks) and maybe not be known as a noob forever.

I think I am going to like it around here!

-slym (20000, !)

Great idea for a thread. I've been lurking here for a long time. Reading since 90...mostly trades since 98. All of my friends whose collections I admired growing up got married and lost space/free time, I got a grown up job and well...I bought their collections. Started slabbing a few years ago and admire my acquired collections while my gf says it takes up too much space. Thanks for being the yin to her person_without_enough_empathyy yang, my fellow boardies (thumbs u (just messing, she's great and picks up my pull list for me when I have to travel for work. She's a keeper.)

Oh and BA & CA UXM, ASM and great CA books are my collecting focus. Getting into GA books as my family starts to pass on and leave hidden gems I didn't know they had. There are too many good modern reads to list.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Hi, my name is Neil. I like BA/CA Uncanny X-Men, and Rai from the original VALIANT. I hope I can make some quality posts around here in the future (that's a slow-pitch, folks) and maybe not be known as a noob forever.

I think I am going to like it around here!

-slym (20000, !)

Nicely done (thumbs u 20,000 more by the end of the week?

I'm Jeremy. Been a voyeur on the boards for a few years now. Signed up a week or two ago when I found out you can disable people's signatures from showing up. That was enough to get me to sign up.

.....but I do miss that Veronica Belmont picture. :applause:

I should have gotten this out of the way when I had joined, but my name is Jeff and I collect FF4, Avenger, X-Men, Submariner, Dr Strange, JLA, JSA, golden age horror book trades, and whatever fits my fancy. I am also a toy collector of Micronauts, Planet of the Apes, and Shogun Warrirors. I am 47 and now live on disability due to a back injury. I have a loving wife, who lets me collect, and four wonderful children.

Thanks for starting this, Andy, when I started participating some around here I looked to see if anyone ever introduced themselves, and found nothing.

I'm Tim, and I found this board earlier this year when I discovered the PGM area. I was looking for some opinions on my Amazing Fantasy 15 after someone I was talking to about it made me realize that my insurance coverage wasn't up to date. In the process of trying to figure out how much coverage to have, I figured out that I have somewhere around 20,000 comics.

Fairly typical collector's story - started as a kid, stopped around junior high, started back up as an adult (during college). Recently hadn't been very active with it, mostly just buying the weekly pull-list and putting them away. Started back up with hunting down back issues when my daughter saw me looking at the website for the Baltimore ComicCon and said, "Let's go!" We did, and thanks to an updated want list, started buying stuff again.

I collect mostly Marvel and DC, but my wantlist is primarily DC these days due to most of the Marvel titles I'm interested in having been completed. I've never been a condition freak - I'd rather have 3 (or more, these days it seems) VGs than a NM, so they aren't always pretty, but I have complete runs of Avengers, Defenders, Invaders, X-Men, New Mutants, Captain Marvel, various Spider-Man titles (Web, Spectacular), and all but less than a dozen Amazing Spider-Mans and Fantastic Fours each. On the DC side I've got a number of long runs, the best being over 50 years worth of Action Comics and Superman.

My daughter now believes I am obsessed with these boards, as I always seem to be checking out the new messages here. I can see there are lots of knowledgeable folks here, and some great deals to be had, so I'll probably stick around for a while.

Hi everyone :hi:

I'm Mike. Been a board member a couple years and lurked for about a year prior. Although I spend a lot of time on the site, I don't post much as you can tell by my post count. Started collecting Marvel as a kid in the late 60's to early 70's using money from a paper route (New York Daily News) and mowing laws. Had to give my collection to a friend when my family moved to Arkansas (Go Hogs :headbang:) as there was no room for them :( . Started collecting again in '91 (all raw, silver/bronze, and almost exclusively Marvel) and then stopped collecting in 96'. Finding this site helped to get me collecting again. Right now I'm focusing on finishing my Avengers run (lack ~15 books). I wish to thank the following members for helping fill holes in this run: sassemble, the_blob, mschmidt, zuuilioso, Flying Donut, stippy52, AndyBoBo, skypinkblue, ft88, LordRahl, johnenock, frankbearss, inconceivable, Kramerica, Ghost Town, loboagain, SNiPER, Dale Roberts, tkg2627, Foolkiller, Aces, chrisware, Passport Comics, 143ksk, and comicstock. This is a great community and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Have a great day.

MIke

Hi everyone! My name is Shane and I've been lurking on these boards for years and finally started to join not too long ago. I've always had an interest in comics, but never really collected them. As a kid I'd get the occasional book from the spinner at 7-11 to read, but never seemed to keep any of them. I was always a movie guy growing up on Star Wars and the like. I loved the Spider-man and his Amazing Friends cartoon as well as GI Joe, He-man, and Transformers. Flash forward many, many years, right about the time that DC was kicking off their 52 event and Marvel was going to have their Civil War, I started visiting a local shop here and buying comics to read again. I also found this site around at that time. Then I went through some personal life events shortly afterwards and the shop I visited closed down to boot so I was back out of comics. Now in the present, I find myself drawn again to comics through my love of movies and TV shows, such as The Walking Dead, Avengers, Batman, etc. For my birthday I got myself a 9.8 of Walking Dead 19 and 27 and have recently come to the conclusion that I'd like to get some cool looking ASM covers in 9.8. I started with issue 261 which just looked cool to me and plan to expand from there. I've also been reading the Walking Dead compendium 1 as I'd like to get myself caught up to the current world of the Walking Dead in comic form to compare and contrast the TV show against it. I know this is probably a nice wall of text so I'll end it here and just say that I'm glad I finally joined this site and said hi!

Hey guys, my name's Eric and I started reading comics when I was young lad in the early 90's. Superman's Death, Batman's back being broken by Bane, and Wolverine's Adamantium being ripped from his body are three distinctive memories I have from reading and collecting, along with all the early Image stuff.

I gave up reading comics around High School, was still interested in a lot of the ideas, just was pretty preoccupied with girls and other distractions. Started reading and collecting again around 2004, and have since been completely obsessed again. I collect pretty much all things Batman, but my collection and reading interests range from Sandman, MircaleMan to Saga, Y: the Last Man, East of West, and a ton of other indies and small prints. I seek out raws and graded books, signed and unsigned. Just kind of stumbled on this site and I'm glad I joined, wish I would've been here sooner. I attended my first Con this year in WizWorldChi and loved it, so I plan on attending many more (I already have my tickets to C2E2), hopefully will see some of you in person at some.

I majored in English at Northern Illinois University and write Fiction, Poetry, and am developing a few comic ideas I have that I would eventually like to self-publish, just trying to find artists to collaborate with, as I cannot draw very well myself. Ran into someone I knew growing up at WWC that draws and has been doing some small print comics work, so I have been talking to him some to try to get the old ball rolling.

I have been very active on the boards since joining a month or two ago, and am very happy to be here, nothing like good conversation with like-minded individuals. So, thanks for having me and WTTB to the other noobs like me!!!