• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

Hi,

I’m Don from the UK. Been collecting for many years, but not as many as some here. I first recall reading my first US comics back in the mid 60’s. We mainly had very sporadic supply. I was drawn to all the Atlas Horror stuff and Doctor Strange. Years went by, My kids grew up and one day about 10 years ago I remembered those books I used to read. By then we had the wonders of the internet. Searched Dr Strange on Ebay and then the comic universe opened at the click of a button. I was immediately drawn to GA Horror/SciFi. For many years I had a scattergun approach to collecting. Anything Horror, Capt Marvel, ASM, Action Comics, then I realised there was no way I could collect everything. So here I am building highest graded EC and Atlas/Marvel and Dr Strange having shifted most of my other stuff. I’ve been with CGC quite a long time but only registered on the boards back in June. It’s been an interesting time. A few nooby mistakes. ‘Met’ some really nice guys, and probably some gals. You can’t always tell from board names. Bought a few, sold a few and missed a few as I am about 5 hours ahead of the east coast. So much happens when I’m asleep but we won’t go into that now. So welcome new and old. May the force be with us.

Edited by Fantasyland15

I'm quite enjoying reading these bios. (thumbs u

Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Hi,

I’m Don from the UK. Been collecting for many years, but not as many as some here. I first recall reading my first US comics back in the mid 60’s. We mainly had very sporadic supply. I was drawn to all the Atlas Horror stuff and Doctor Strange. Years went by, My kids grew up and one day about 10 years ago I remembered those books I used to read. By then we had the wonders of the internet. Searched Dr Strange on Ebay and then the comic universe opened at the click of a button. I was immediately drawn to GA Horror/SciFi. For many years I had a scattergun approach to collecting. Anything Horror, Capt Marvel, ASM, Action Comics, then I realised there was no way I could collect everything. So here I am building highest graded EC and Atlas/Marvel and Dr Strange having shifted most of my other stuff. I’ve been with CGC quite a long time but only registered on the boards back in June. It’s been an interesting time. A few nooby mistakes. ‘Met’ some really nice guys, and probably some gals. You can’t always tell from board names. Bought a few, sold a few and missed a few as I am about 5 hours ahead of the east coast. So much happens when I’m asleep but we won’t go into that now. So welcome new and old. May the force be with us.

Will you be a LSCC? It'd be good to meet you. :hi:

Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

:roflmao:

At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles.

I hate when that happens.

PS - you have had quite the interesting life. I hope that one day you get everything you desire, becoming fabulously wealthy beyond your wildest dreams, perhaps even having ... a MILL-ion dollars.

Hi guys :hi:,

My name is Scott and have been a member of the boards for over three years now but don't post too often as you can tell from my post count. So I figured I should introduce myself and give a quick history and bio.

As a young kid I remember hating comics! I recall my friend would drag me into the LCS that had tight spaces between all the boxes, creaky steps up to the store, even a creepy comic guy/owner behind the counter....wasn't a fan. I also remember my mother would actually buy me piles of comics and bring them home for me to read and I still wasn't interested. Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters and such; like Batman, Superman and all... I even had Spiderman sheets and pillow cases for crying out loud......just didn't like to read the comics.

That changed about 7 years ago when I went to an auction and bid on a box lot and won. As by chance in the bottom of that box were two ASM comics, I don't remember the exact issues but there was something about looking at them that fascinated me. My love for comics, and especially comic art/artists and covers was born.

Today I am on a first name basis with the creepy guy that owned the comic shop from my childhood, and he has moved to a new location without any creaky steps.

I collect any Silver/Bronze age book that I like with emphasis on keys and ASM as I am trying to finish my ASM run from 1-301. Lately I have had to slow down my collecting as my wife and I had our first child, a son last April and he now takes up most of my time and money (but worth ever penny). And to anyone who is still reading after all of that; thanks and it is finally over!

Hey Guys!

My name is Neall, and I am pretty new to the scene. I started collecting about 3 years ago here in NYC. I have always been a huge Batman fan as I grew up with him and The Turtles. But my fiance majored in art and took a Will Eisner class and she is the one who got me into collecting. :luhv:

We always joke that she created a monster. I have gone through stages in collecting. I started with Silver age Marvel then went into a minor Modern craze. Now I mostly focus on Golden Age DC and Silver Marvel along with OA.

I dont post much but I love reading everyone's thoughts and opinions. Everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable as well which is always nice when I have a question.

Anyway thanks for this little thread :banana:

NB

This is pretty awesome (thumbs u

It reminds me of another boardie who makes outlandish claims all the time...

Nice to meet you, Dr Evil!

While I'm here....Hi everybody! My name is Travis and I'm located in Lafayette, LA. Been collecting since I was 9, but only really seriously in the past 3-4 years. I plan on submitting my very first comics for slabbing by CGC (after some pro pressing by Joe, hopefully) in the next month or two. I've really enjoyed reading the threads on this board and found some very helpful info on grading and restoration.

My names Clarence. Like most, I've been lurking here for a while and haven't really made any contributive posts.

I'm still learning as I've only been collecting books for a few months. I was heavy into sports cards/memorabilia before, but got a bit bored and fed up with it all.

I've found most people here tend to be quite friendly and less obnoxious than most of the card forums I used to frequent.

Ill hopefully become more contributive as I get more experience and knowledge under my belt.

:hi:

Greetings, fellow comic fans. I'm sure that I'm not alone when I say that I'm returning to the hobby after a long hiatus. I knew I'd regret selling those comics, and I own that regret with pride!

My collecting interests have changed dramatically. While I had a near complete X-Men run in the past, I have no interest in them now. Dr. Strange, Warlock, and Nick Fury are driving my interest for now, and I'm enjoying reconnecting with books of yore. I'll admit that I love Adventure Time and have been grabbing up those comics, too. Wonderful stuff there and some beautiful covers.

Anyhow, this board has already been a treasure trove of information, and I'm enjoying interacting with board members and eating popcorn while watching the antics.

Cheers,

David

My names Clarence. Like most, I've been lurking here for a while and haven't really made any contributive posts.

I'm still learning as I've only been collecting books for a few months. I was heavy into sports cards/memorabilia before, but got a bit bored and fed up with it all.

I've found most people here tend to be quite friendly and less obnoxious than most of the card forums I used to frequent.

Ill hopefully become more contributive as I get more experience and knowledge under my belt.

Is your name Michael Diamond?

-slym (wonders who will get this)

Is your name Michael Diamond?

-slym (wonders who will get this)

;)

download1_zps8e1b73bf.jpg