• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hello!

My name is Jacob. I turned 16 yesterday and got my very first vintage (or maybe just old?) comics - Batman #259 and the comic adaptation of the 'Batman Returns' film!

I've loved superheroes for a long time, and know quite a bit about them, despite having never owned a superhero comic before! I'm wanting to get into comic collecting because I think they're reaaaally cool, but there's a few limitations...

I live in the UK, so it's not especially easy to pick up the comics (Never once have I seen a comic book store :o) and also, being 16, I essentially have no money, so I can't afford fancy ones either.

Basically saying, it won't be often that I buy a new comic book, and nor will they be the super desirable, rare ones. I also have come to understand that a newer looking, mint comic is worth significantly more than older, more 'used' ones. I think this is good for me, as the roughed look - to an extent - looks better in my opinion.

Can't wait to get a nice little collection going, and to take part in the forum! :D

Long time reader, just joined the boards.

Thank you to all posters, due to these threads I have been able to pick-up some quality runs. I have been out of collecting for many years (outside of buying top grade CGC copies I wanted as a younger person, but could not afford), recently got back into actually reading the books.

I collected during the mania of the late 80s and early 90s, before the bubble burst.

Reviewing the current scene, variant covers and their speculation, it seems what is old is new again.

I know for certain one thing about the hobby, if you buy what you really want, you can't go wrong.

Hey!

My name is Jon and I currently work and live in Fort McMurray, Alberta. I have always been a fan of reading comics and obsessing over story details and plot points and I am finally moving into collecting. My main interest right now is Wonder Woman and the story of William Moulton Marston and his crazy links to Scientology.

HI All,

Long time comic book reader and collector of weird bootleg toys.

I guess my tastes have carried over to comics, I'm into:

-Marvel Bronze Age Superhero Horror

-Covers with prominent asian racism

-Slabbed Silver, Bronze, and Moderns

I'm a new old member, in that I've been off the boards for over a decade. It's great to find that the community seems to be thriving and growing.

Bob, in Los Angeles. I'm currently liquidating almost my entire collection on eBay, while keeping the best of the best condition for my first CGC submissions later in the Spring.

I have collected GA Fawcett Cpt. Marvels, Silver superhero and almost anything bronze, including Marvel magazines.

Bought too much overprinted stuff in the early 90s, but sadly, no NM 98 (that I can find yet, anyway...

IRL I teach video games and have co-written a book on video game storytelling, which has obviously been informed from a lifetime of reading comics.

Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster here. I find myself reading the boards multiple times a day, and it's been a wealth of entertainment and knowledge thanks to all of you! My teen (and peak) collecting years were during the mid 90s, and my comic collecting days were done by the early 2000s...

...until last year, when it came back with a vengeance! To this day, I can't remember why I stopped, especially since my first CGC submissions back in 2000 turned out pretty well. I've since submitted a good amount of my personal collection to CGC and bought more as well. Here's to enjoying the hobby for many years to come.

Hi everyone, time to finally jump in. I'm George, I finished my ASM + AF #15 run last year! That was my big collecting goal. I also collect and read mostly Marvel Silver Age and The Walking Dead. In the last year i have been reading Golden Age Human Torch, Marvel Mystery Comics, All-Winners and pre-code horror.

I'm 38 and I started reading comics at age 7 when my father gave me some FF and Thor books that he enjoyed as a kid. I fell in love with spidey after I read Kraven's Last Hunt (I wore those books out). I stopped reading after McFarlane's run on Spidey and took an 18yr hiatus as there were too many X books and I didn't enjoy the early Image Comics.

Five years ago I had a renewed interest in this fantastic hobby (or lifestyle) you can choose the wording. I have been soaking up some of your comments and insight like a sponge, I hope to learn more about adding and upgrading to my collection from some of the masters in the hobby. My collecting goals over the next year are to add a Tales of Suspense #39 mid-grade, either upgrade one of my 4.5 AF #15's or add one more mid-grade and start an All-Winners run(I love that series)!

Thank you gentlemen, I look forward to hearing from some of you.

I'm Nate. Been big into Marvel since the 90's. Finally started my comic book collection last year in Jan with the new Star Wars comics. I've been collecting mostly Marvel, but also a lot of Image, and some DC and IDW sprinkled in there. Southern Bastards and Descender are among my favorites over the last year.

I'm Nathan. I've been collecting for the past 20 years with hiatuses as my interest/financial situation waxes or wanes.

I have a broad interest, but if I had to hone in it would be on mid 80's to 90's comics, a period of a deep and serious identity crisis within the industry that brought about comics that commented on the industry as a whole, a myriad of independent publishers, the rise of the bad girl, the somewhat controversial rise of Wildstorm/Image, etc. It was just a gorgeous mess. It was also the time I was growing up, so rose-tinted glasses and all.

Otherwise, I would only mention that I see comics as a continuation of the sequential art found in cave paintings tens of thousands of years old, so I'm both touched by partaking in what I feel to be the oldest art tradition and saddened over what I can't help but feel is its gradual demise.

And on that cheery note______________[swoon]

Hello all

Im new. Been lurking in the market area for a few months. Made my first purchase yesterday through PM. Have been collecting on and off for about 15 years. Mostly copper-modern. The oldest comic I have is probably ASM #35. Been getting crazy into Galactus, Thanos, Silver Surfer and the whole Annihilation series. Cable, Venom and Carnage have always been all time favorites. Great deals on this site. Look forward to buying and talking comics! :hi:

Hello all,

I'm Ryan. I've been reading the boards for quite some time and decided to jump in. I started reading/ collecting around the age of 10 in 1990, mostly Marvel superhero titles then.

I moved to Ireland 3 years ago, and ironically, what got me back into collecting was selling my entire collection. It was residing in my parents home in Texas, and while I was not forced or asked directly to sell them, it was indirectly implied. I thought that I had lost the bug, so I took them down to an LCS on my last visit home and parted with them for significantly less than they were worth. I instantly regretted it.

Needless to say, the bug has bitten again, and I am now starting anew. My interests are quite varied, but include; Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge (especially Carl Barks), Silver/Bronze/Copper superhero, and modern Batman.

Thanks for having me!

Hello fellow collectors! My name is Brian. I recently ventured back into collecting about 9 months ago and it's been a re-education to say the least. Learning grading, pin pointing FMV and everything in between. Just this past weekend I sat on the dealers side of the table at a local smaller Con. It was definitely an interesting learning experience to say the least! Hope to meet some friends here and further my collecting knowledge and learn as much as possible!

Thanks for having me!

Edited by BobibbleComics

hello, i'm Suzie, but i go by Rika24 and Rikafire online. i started collecting when i got back into the Ninja Turtles through the 2003 cartoon. i wanted to know where the series really started (because it wasn't until that time that i found out TMNT started as a comic).

So i went on a comic hunt and found out that i live within a short drive or even walking distance of not one, not two, but FIVE comic book shops. one of which has been around for over 30 years (which also happens to be within walking distance.) It was at this comic shop that i found the Leonardo #1 Micro issue, my very first comic book (Leo is my favorite turtle, and the issue was published the year i was born too, so bonus).

anyways, i started tracking down different issues and eventually found the ones i fell in love with... the City at War arc. i managed to track down all but the first two issues of that arc, and i am proud of it.

from there i branched out to Usagi Yojimbo, Beasts of Burden, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Currently i'm collecting Japanese fan made comics called doujinshi. which can be incredibly rare as some are made by hand, while others are printed in low quantities of only 300-600 books. for those i collect Digimon, Naruto, and Fullmetal Alchemist, with Naruto taking up the majority.

here is my comic collection (needs updating, but still something i'm proud of)

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles City At War Arc

- TMNT Vols 2 and 4 Collection

- Tales of the TMNT Pt 1

- Tales of the TMNT Pt 2

- TMNT Mini Series 1

- TMNT Mini Series 2

- Usagi Yojimbo

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer 1

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer 2

Welcome Suzie!

I think you'll like it here.

Dojinshi! :cloud9: How are you acquiring them? In person...in Tokyo? That sounds like a LOT of fun.

Good luck with your hobby, and I hope you make lots of friends here.