• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, DonSal1976 said:

Hello to all, my name is Sal. I collected comics from the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties and focused mainly on completing my jla 1-261 run. I have just recently found myself back in the hobby after a lengthily absence (wife, kids, bla bla bla) and I've leapt headfirst into collecting key issues and Canadian price variants. I am very surprised that Overstreet has still not acknowledged the newsstand and price variants in their book and priced them accordingly. I hope they fix this lapse in judgement as I truly believe that this could re-invigorate a flailing industry. Anyways, comics are such a great escape and I am thrilled to be back in this world. Keep up the great work CGC, I love your service. Keeping books safely preserved while displaying them is something truly great for this industry. I look forward to posting on these chat boards and sharing this great hobby with all of you. Cheers. 

Hooray! Welcome, interesting thoughts and concerns :) Welcome to the Boards

Hola everyone, 

Pretty new to comic scene. Started reading and collecting basically a few issues into the DC-Rebirth. Literally bought the DC-Universe rebirth issue on my ipad to read on a plane and i've been hooked ever since! I started off collecting a few of my favorites like Batman/Superman and now I'm pulling like 15+ issues (jeezus this is expensive). Then i found this site and i'm even more broke haha.

I really have no idea what i'm doing, but i'm reading the threads and asking questions! Everyone so far has been awesome with my questions and hopefully I can pay it forward when I can.

8 hours ago, Whomperz said:

Hola everyone, 

Pretty new to comic scene. Started reading and collecting basically a few issues into the DC-Rebirth. Literally bought the DC-Universe rebirth issue on my ipad to read on a plane and i've been hooked ever since! I started off collecting a few of my favorites like Batman/Superman and now I'm pulling like 15+ issues (jeezus this is expensive). Then i found this site and i'm even more broke haha.

I really have no idea what i'm doing, but i'm reading the threads and asking questions! Everyone so far has been awesome with my questions and hopefully I can pay it forward when I can.

(thumbsu

Welcome to the boards!

Hi all. My name is Charlie and this is the second time I'm writing one of these. Since I only made like 8 posts the first go around and haven't been on the boards in forever I figure it'd be ok to do it again.

I've been reading comics since the late 80s and immediately latched on to the X-Men as my favorites. Iron Man has always been a close second. I may or may not have teared up when I watched the first X-Men film in the theater. It's been a lifelong goal of mine to complete a run of Uncanny vol. 1, and I'm down to the last 120 issues or so (or the first 120 issues or so? huzzah).  I'll get there one day. I've been in and out of collecting over the years, still don't own a CGC book and plan to rectify that as soon as possible, and I liked the Deadpool movie way more than I thought I would and certainly way more than I like the comic book character (I don't like the comic book character. At all). I also don't know whether or not the period goes inside or outside the parenthesis if it is at the end of a sentence.

I now live in NYC, so maybe there are some boardies in these parts to talk to.  I really enjoy going to small comic book shows and super mega pop culture extravaganzas alike. I also really enjoy digging through garage sales and flea markets, but haven't really found a good way to do this or where is best to go since moving here. As for my collecting goals, hopes, and dreams other than my Uncanny quest, I don't really have any. I'm interested in collecting keys from the Silver age and up, and avoiding my collecting habit getting too out of hand, so...good luck to me with that :D

And after browsing a couple pages in this thread, I see that almost no one writes this much so thanks for reading and see you all around the boards!

14 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Hi all. My name is Charlie and this is the second time I'm writing one of these. Since I only made like 8 posts the first go around and haven't been on the boards in forever I figure it'd be ok to do it again.

I've been reading comics since the late 80s and immediately latched on to the X-Men as my favorites. Iron Man has always been a close second. I may or may not have teared up when I watched the first X-Men film in the theater. It's been a lifelong goal of mine to complete a run of Uncanny vol. 1, and I'm down to the last 120 issues or so (or the first 120 issues or so? huzzah).  I'll get there one day. I've been in and out of collecting over the years, still don't own a CGC book and plan to rectify that as soon as possible, and I liked the Deadpool movie way more than I thought I would and certainly way more than I like the comic book character (I don't like the comic book character. At all). I also don't know whether or not the period goes inside or outside the parenthesis if it is at the end of a sentence.

I now live in NYC, so maybe there are some boardies in these parts to talk to.  I really enjoy going to small comic book shows and super mega pop culture extravaganzas alike. I also really enjoy digging through garage sales and flea markets, but haven't really found a good way to do this or where is best to go since moving here. As for my collecting goals, hopes, and dreams other than my Uncanny quest, I don't really have any. I'm interested in collecting keys from the Silver age and up, and avoiding my collecting habit getting too out of hand, so...good luck to me with that :D

And after browsing a couple pages in this thread, I see that almost no one writes this much so thanks for reading and see you all around the boards!

:hi:

Welcome back!

New member here. On and off again reader of comics for past 20 years. Read in the 90s, back up again with New 52, stopped and then restarted with Rebirth.

My LCS is really good with CGC book submissions, signings, etc.. Recently Jonboy Meyers was in for a signing and I had him sign my Teen Titans (2016) #1. I submitted to CGC and it came back 9.8SS......I know that books value is more sentimental, but seeing that nice slabbed book got me hooked. 

So now making an effort to get into real collecting within my budget. I set a long term goal of FF #1-100... and short term is collecting key Venom issues...and whatever falls within my limited price range. 

Look forward to contributing on here and getting more books!

Attached is my first CGC book and what got it all started.

3B08C4F6-2271-4401-9464-983AA85DAC5C.JPG

Edited by Stephen H

58 minutes ago, Stephen H said:

New member here. On and off again reader of comics for past 20 years. Read in the 90s, back up again with New 52, stopped and then restarted with Rebirth.

My LCS is really good with CGC book submissions, signings, etc.. Recently Jonboy Meyers was in for a signing and I had him sign my Teen Titans (2016) #1. I submitted to CGC and it came back 9.8SS......I know that books value is more sentimental, but seeing that nice slabbed book got me hooked. 

So now making an effort to get into real collecting within my budget. I set a long term goal of FF #1-100... and short term is collecting key Venom issues...and whatever falls within my limited price range. 

Look forward to contributing on here and getting more books!

Attached is my first CGC book and what got it all started.

Welcome Stephen !!!! one of us-one of us lol 

Glad that you enjoy the process and are having fun in the hobby!! 

Hi everyone, I used to collect comics especially in the 90s, then took a long break.  I would pick up a graphic novel here and there just to read, like Hush, Planet Hulk, Civil War to name a few.  I got into Marvel and DC and movie statues, as well as Star Wars models and such.  All along I've enjoyed getting autographs as well, not just from comic writers and artist, but tv and movie celebrities too.  So just recently I've shifted my collecting towards CGC Signature Series slabs.  I just picked up a Sarah Michelle Gellar SS book, and have looked at some other movie actors too.  I know these may not be great for long term value, but I also am looking out for other keys such as first appearances.  So far my CGC collection is 6 books but hope to add a few!!

3 minutes ago, jetfire said:

Hi everyone, I used to collect comics especially in the 90s, then took a long break.  I would pick up a graphic novel here and there just to read, like Hush, Planet Hulk, Civil War to name a few.  I got into Marvel and DC and movie statues, as well as Star Wars models and such.  All along I've enjoyed getting autographs as well, not just from comic writers and artist, but tv and movie celebrities too.  So just recently I've shifted my collecting towards CGC Signature Series slabs.  I just picked up a Sarah Michelle Gellar SS book, and have looked at some other movie actors too.  I know these may not be great for long term value, but I also am looking out for other keys such as first appearances.  So far my CGC collection is 6 books but hope to add a few!!

Welcome to the pleasure dome @jetfire !

Dive in and have fun ?

4 minutes ago, jetfire said:

Awesome!! Welcome to the boards :) You should have fun at a lot of Comic-Cons!! I also live in the Dallas, so if you need a lead on some LCS or such feel free to PM me ;) 

Mostly there is Titan Comics that has a lot of back issue's and there  is Keith's Comics.....depending on "your" location, there are plenty more but these are the ones I frequent. The Fan Expo Dallas website can give you some leads on con's, also there is a CGC forum called Events, you can choose it instead of Comics General to see upcoming shows. Dallas should get better!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome!! Welcome to the boards :) You should have fun at a lot of Comic-Cons!! I also live in the Dallas, so if you need a lead on some LCS or such feel free to PM me ;) 

Mostly there is Titan Comics that has a lot of back issue's and there  is Keith's Comics.....depending on "your" location, there are plenty more but these are the ones I frequent. The Fan Expo Dallas website can give you some leads on con's, also there is a CGC forum called Events, you can choose it instead of Comics General to see upcoming shows. Dallas should get better!

Hey man! Nice to be here!  Yeah I heard sometimes you have to ask the LCS owner what CGC books they might have, they are not displayed.  Dallas Vintage Toys has several key CGC books, pretty nice collection there.  I go quite frequently to Fan Expo Dallas and love it.  When I first moved to Dallas 12 years ago it was tiny over in Richardson Library.  I love how it's grown. My first CGC experience was last year getting Frank Miller and Stan Lee on Daredevil 168.  That was stressful but lots of fun

Hey everyone! I am from Hawaii and started reading comics when I was 16 (2004) and got hooked on Green Lantern from Rebirth. Didn't start collecting till almost 8 years later when I met a group of guys in the Air Force that shared the hobby. We would all go to a LCS in Omaha, Nebraska (stationed at Offutt AFB) every Wednesday to pick up our weekly fix. I have since left active duty and work as a military contractor/reservist at Hurlburt Field, FL where we have one LCS so I get the majority of my collectible comics online. The first comic I had CGC graded was a Star Wars #1 (1977) and received a 9.2 which I was so happy about, never been too snobby about grades. A few Star Wars books and a couple of ASM are the only Marvel in my collection as the majority are DC and wouldn't you guess it...Green Lantern. Still on the hunt for a Showcase #22 but for now I am content with what I have. Looking forward to learning from this community and seeing all the amazing comics that some of the guys/gals have on here. Just saw the "TOP 5 GRAILS  - THAT YOU OWN" thread and someone shared a picture of their 3 copies of All-Star #8 and 3 copies of AF #15...just insane and awesome to see the comics that people have collected in their time. Again, glad to be here.

1 hour ago, LaxThanatos said:

Hey everyone! I am from Hawaii and started reading comics when I was 16 (2004) and got hooked on Green Lantern from Rebirth. Didn't start collecting till almost 8 years later when I met a group of guys in the Air Force that shared the hobby. We would all go to a LCS in Omaha, Nebraska (stationed at Offutt AFB) every Wednesday to pick up our weekly fix. I have since left active duty and work as a military contractor/reservist at Hurlburt Field, FL where we have one LCS so I get the majority of my collectible comics online. The first comic I had CGC graded was a Star Wars #1 (1977) and received a 9.2 which I was so happy about, never been too snobby about grades. A few Star Wars books and a couple of ASM are the only Marvel in my collection as the majority are DC and wouldn't you guess it...Green Lantern. Still on the hunt for a Showcase #22 but for now I am content with what I have. Looking forward to learning from this community and seeing all the amazing comics that some of the guys/gals have on here. Just saw the "TOP 5 GRAILS  - THAT YOU OWN" thread and someone shared a picture of their 3 copies of All-Star #8 and 3 copies of AF #15...just insane and awesome to see the comics that people have collected in their time. Again, glad to be here.

Your in good company :) Welcome to the Boards ;)