• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hey all! Name is Josh and work in tech. Getting back into this crazy hobby after losing 8-9 boxes in a house flood 12 years ago. Already have some great purchases and experiences on here! I read a lot of different things and always love recommendations. From Battlechasers ( him for not finishing the series!) to Nailbiters to Mage to Bone to Supes to Wolverine, I'll try anything. 

Thanks for having me!

Hey everyone, names Roy Lucier. A super big pro wrestling fan, especially in regards to pro wrestling outside of the United States. However, not many people know I'm an insane Fantastic Four fan, with my favorite character being Namor

Hi, I'm Brian - started collecting in the late 70s with Archie, Uncle Scrooge, Casper and Richie Rich.  Then, one day I saw FF 204 at the local drug store and was drawn to the art and more complex stories.  Since then, I've collected mostly Marvel titles (ASM and all things Spidey, X-men, FF, X-Factor, Two-in-One, ROM, Thor and some Daredevil).  Really liked the story arc of Daredevil and Elektra with her sais but ASM is my fave.  I stopped collecting after college and grad school (90s) and started getting back into it just last month.  So many things have changed since the 70s and 80s, and am trying to learn about slabs, pressing, variants, signatures, etc.  This forum has been really valuable and I check it everyday.  I seriously did not think that I'd be putting more $$$ into comics at this point in my life, but it's really tempting to do so and complete some runs, with the help of this forum.

What's been fun is going through my old collection (about 3500 books) and seeing which issues I had thought would grow in value at the time - either I bought multiple copies or I put them in Mylar.  Some did, like Wolverine #1 (limited series) but others not so much (ROM?).  Also, with every rumor or announcement from Marvel Studios, you never know what treasures await in your collection.  Thor 337, anyone?  I also remember back in the 80s trying to decide between buying X-Men 94 or Giant Size X-men #1.  Both were being sold for around $75 at the time (for VF), which was a lot of money at the time.  I ended up going with #94, but I see now how much more GS X-Men #1 is worth these days (at least in VF condition).  Wonder if I still have the price list from back then.  That'd be fun (though painful) to look. 

Thanks for listening and keep on collecting!

Hi to all. I’m Drey new member. I’m a long time comic fan and collector and am excited to start getting certain comics I own graded. It’s a funny thing I never really thought of this sooner and a large potion of my comic collection is lol no longer in great shape as they have been read and re read often.  I collect and have collected a bit of everything.  Marvel fan and most of my comic collection is Marvel but I do have some really good Dc stuff to.  I collect comic art as well and cherish every piece. I Hope to get to know all of you in the near future.   Cheers.  

4 hours ago, DkpNelson said:

Thank you Jayman.   Yes is is fun to to read and read until you find out they are worth $ in good condition.  Win some lose some I guess but damn I wish I knew what I know now back when I got them

Completely understand! I still have all my old beat readers and have upgraded to better copies over the years. You have to look at it this way, if you never read and enjoyed them so much, you would not be collecting them still! They were not sacrificed in vain.

Hello everyone.  My name is Mike.  Read comics as a youngster until I was introduced to sports cards.  Collected those from 1980s to about a year ago.  Last year I wanted to get back into reading comics so I started buying omnibus and trade paperbacks.  Decided in January that I wanted to start collecting singles.  I'm a huge Bat fan and really liked a lot of the cover art.  I'm buying mostly raw Batman and Detective comics starting around 1966.  Bought my first graded comic a month ago.  It s Batman 386 in a 9.6 (1st Black Mask).  Bought 13 more graded comics since then.  All 9.6.  Not really into 9.8 or the cost to buy them.  Basically getting the grade I can afford.  Sent my first submission last week of 10 books.  Mostly first appearances.  Can't wait to see what I get back.       

Hi All,

My name is Anthony from Greater Manchester, UK. I'm new and new to comic collecting so I'm hoping to make new contacts and friends. 

I am primarily an ASM collector and still looking for some key books to add to my collection. If your looking to sell or take, please message me.

Hi everyone my name is Anthony. I used to collect comic books over 18 years ago and now I’m back and so much has changed! Excited to be back, enjoying all of the nostalgia, and everything the new books have to offer. The community seems to have grown so much. CGC forums seems like the place to be!

23 hours ago, AKComix said:

Hi everyone my name is Anthony. I used to collect comic books over 18 years ago and now I’m back and so much has changed! Excited to be back, enjoying all of the nostalgia, and everything the new books have to offer. The community seems to have grown so much. CGC forums seems like the place to be!

Hello Anthony, excited to have you here :) it's a regular surplus of experience, and can be so much fun! Thanks for giving the CGC Boards a chance :) 

17 hours ago, Army_of_One said:

Hey guys!  I'm new to the forum, but have been collecting for a long time.  I didn't realize this forum was here.  I look forward to hang out with y'all.

Welcome :) Glad to see someone again has found the jungle gym hehe, anyway, welcome and glad your here! 

Hey guys, I'm new to the chat. I'm turning 51 and have had my comics in my possession since i started collecting in the late 1970's. One thing that I never really did was look for artist and writer signatures. Now I am looking to finally do this as it would be an honor to see books I've held onto for so long be signed. But what if I need to get two signatures? Specifically Chris Claremont and Frank Miller) How do I go about this with CGC if they are not both at the same private signing event?

On 7/24/2020 at 9:07 AM, jasonstrougo said:

Hey guys, I'm new to the chat. I'm turning 51 and have had my comics in my possession since i started collecting in the late 1970's. One thing that I never really did was look for artist and writer signatures. Now I am looking to finally do this as it would be an honor to see books I've held onto for so long be signed. But what if I need to get two signatures? Specifically Chris Claremont and Frank Miller) How do I go about this with CGC if they are not both at the same private signing event?

Welcome Jason, if you have a book that you want signed by two creators you just send it in for the first signature series event, and then send in the signed (and graded) book to the second event.  E.g.  you would first have a SS Chris Claremont book.  Then send that graded ss book to the second event where they could crack it for you and get it signed by Frank Miller and graded again.  If you look in The Signature Room you can see quite a few books with multiple signatures that were signed on different dates.