• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2020 at 8:43 AM, Bare.min said:

Hi everyone, my name’s Andy. Long time lurker looking to get more active on the boards. 

I’ve been a comic reader and collector since the mid-nineties. Took a few years out during the 2000’s just reading digital and trades but really started to pick up buying books again around 2014. 

Currently selling the vast majority of the volume I’ve accumulated over the years to focus on copper/modern keys to refine my collection and save on space! Making very gentle steps into speculating too and really enjoy the process of buying and selling. 

Working on a stack of books to submit for grading in the coming weeks and months so excited to speak with you all, learn more and share my successes and failures! 

Thanks for having me. 
Andy 

Welcome ANDY!!! :tink: 

Join Date December 2019? lol That's some patience!! :headbang: 

On 9/19/2020 at 11:43 PM, Bare.min said:

Hi everyone, my name’s Andy. Long time lurker looking to get more active on the boards. 

I’ve been a comic reader and collector since the mid-nineties. Took a few years out during the 2000’s just reading digital and trades but really started to pick up buying books again around 2014. 

Currently selling the vast majority of the volume I’ve accumulated over the years to focus on copper/modern keys to refine my collection and save on space! Making very gentle steps into speculating too and really enjoy the process of buying and selling. 

Working on a stack of books to submit for grading in the coming weeks and months so excited to speak with you all, learn more and share my successes and failures! 

Thanks for having me. 
Andy 

Welcome Bare.min.  Looking forward to hearing how your books go.  Good luck with the purge hope it helps fund some of those keys you’re after. 

Going through a rough time in my life right now and need an outlet of some sort. I decided to try comic books and here I am. I’m anxious to share the 4 comics I just recently purchased. Other than that I’m a father of 4 and a retired military veteran. Currently married, but it’s complicated at the moment.

Hope to learn and have fun on this site. Can’t wait, thank you!

Hello everybody,

I'm taking my 1st steps into the Comic collecting community. Due to not having any work at the moment, I now have time to actually sort through my collection and to start getting them valued.

I've been collecting X-men comics since 1996, with the Onslaught saga bringing me into the merry marvel mutants world.

I hope I'll be able to pick the forums collective brains on a multitude of comic related things.

Many thanks & happy collecting.

Andy 

On 9/23/2020 at 1:15 AM, Crushingame said:

Going through a rough time in my life right now and need an outlet of some sort. I decided to try comic books and here I am. I’m anxious to share the 4 comics I just recently purchased. Other than that I’m a father of 4 and a retired military veteran. Currently married, but it’s complicated at the moment.

Hope to learn and have fun on this site. Can’t wait, thank you!

Welcome to the boards Crushingame. 

I’m sorry to hear about the rough time. Honestly, comics are an amazing outlet. I don’t know of anything else that gives such enjoyment in so many ways.. whether it is reading, admiring covers, researching history, hunting specific runs, talking to friends, attending cons, selling for profit, trying your hand at writing and drawing yourself or building registry sets. This hobby has it all. So, great choice. 

This is a pretty amazing community full of great people. I first signed up as a total n00b and have learned a TON from reading threads here. I also met one of my very best friends on these boards. 

Looking forward to seeing your recent purchases. Will you look to build a competitive set? 

On 9/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, AndyMcCarthy1984 said:

Hello everybody,

I'm taking my 1st steps into the Comic collecting community. Due to not having any work at the moment, I now have time to actually sort through my collection and to start getting them valued.

I've been collecting X-men comics since 1996, with the Onslaught saga bringing me into the merry marvel mutants world.

I hope I'll be able to pick the forums collective brains on a multitude of comic related things.

Andy 

Andy welcome, that onslaught run was hard for me as a kid to keep track of lol

Kudos for your effort

Going to groceries stores and trying to get the continued issue was like pulling teeth for me  :D

welcome! And hope you unearth some treasures! ^^

On 9/23/2020 at 11:27 PM, AndyMcCarthy1984 said:

Hello everybody,

Andy 

Welcome to the boards Andy!! 

Sorry to hear about the work situation but it sounds like you’ve found one hell of a silver lining. 
Conversely, I’ve managed to get all my boxes into the home office for sorting and tinkering but work keeps getting in the way!! 🥴

Grass is always greener. 

Hey all. I've been lurking and occasionally posting some pictures on Spare a Grade but wanted to share my first grading submission. I posted this in another forum but I was told it was probably best to put it in the general forum.  

After doing some cleaning and organizing during Covid I decided to submit some books to CGC. I didn't have any experience or connections at the time because grading wasn't around when I was collecting as a kid. So I looked up a LCS and submitted through them. He said he had a presser that he preferred to CGC's so I used his. I probably slightly overpaid but if the books come back well I will be happy. I didn't take individual pictures but took a fanned out picture of what I gave him so I had a record of it. They all seemed pretty clean and sharp to my untrained eye but at the time I wouldn't have know the difference between an 8.0 and a 9.8 (not sure I could do it right now but will feel better once I see some books that have been graded).

Anyway, I think the books are probably still a month or so off but I want to share my sweat.

Here's a list of books.

3 copies of New Mutants #98

NM #87

ASM #238 with Tattooz

ASM #300 Newsstand 

Locke & Key #1

20200811_123600.jpg

I have found my old comic stash...... it reminded me I think I have another stash somewhere I will look for soon and some cards.  Curious if I should have them packaged here, or if it is even worth the cost.  Not sure where the best place might be to sell them either.  I am in Canada.  I have mostly Marvel issues..... couple of goodies I think but almost all that are not toasted are from the modern age.  Looking to learn a bit about what I can do here and find out some values.

7 hours ago, wheelz86 said:

Hey all. I've been lurking and occasionally posting some pictures on Spare a Grade but wanted to share my first grading submission. I posted this in another forum but I was told it was probably best to put it in the general forum.  

Welcome mate. Beautiful books - good luck with the grading!

On 9/25/2020 at 9:42 AM, Robert5762 said:

Hello everyone i am new to this so yeah. I am 63 years old but i am retired and want to try something new.

Welcome Robert! This can be such a time-consuming hobby (researching, organising, hunting etc), sounds perfect for retirement! I hope you enjoy the hobby.

3 minutes ago, DINGER033 said:

I have been a member for a few years but have never really posted much, so I thought I would start getting into it a little more.

here are a few of my more recent buys2568462D-45DE-4C7B-825F-D2D6F28BDD69.thumb.jpeg.72696d2faaf8eb03be578ad612755e19.jpeg

00B090D8-03D9-4176-93EA-42BEF4D405EC.jpeg

C5E7AA05-9105-4603-820A-2D51523FF8A8.jpeg

DC3C2DF0-C3E8-4D47-8B88-73B9D6893FE2.jpeg

9023D3C0-A7F5-46C0-B05A-CA639BEFCA1F.jpeg

677F4D99-9801-4380-AC8C-51004DADFD8C.jpeg

724278A6-0A63-4BA6-95F7-E5FB3F7739A0.jpeg

59EB0437-A15E-4FF9-9312-299291856B90.jpeg

EBBC2452-F87A-4094-B996-E97F6CF5C084.jpeg

Those are some nice ones too, glad you joined! Nice to see some variety of tiers with yellow and blue label :)

^^

having fun so far?

3 minutes ago, DINGER033 said:

Yes I love comics and seeing what others are collecting, And interested in. so far every one has been supper helpful and friendly 

Glad to hear :)

its fun to listen to ideas and make the collection your own, we all have our favorites, and I'm happy you feel comfortable making purchases you're proud of. I missed the boat seemingly on many a thing but there is always something new to pursue (thumbsu

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Glad to hear :)

its fun to listen to ideas and make the collection your own, we all have our favorites, and I'm happy you feel comfortable making purchases you're proud of. I missed the boat seemingly on many a thing but there is always something new to pursue (thumbsu

Hahaha. I am always missing the boat!! 

Welcome Dinger! That is one lovely recent haul mate. I’d love to add some of those to my collection one day!