• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Canadian Geek said:

Hey hey, I'm Chad. And obviously I'm from Canada. 

I've been collecting for many years. Love mostly DC except a few select titles from Marvel. Huge Wolverine nut and also love Batman. 

Welcome to the Boards :) Chad!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Chad Welcome!

Hey all,

New to the boards and relatively new to collecting (been buying a few bits and pieces for about two years, maybe about 200 comics give or take).

I've been lurking for a few weeks and thought I'd say g'day.

I hail from Australia, I'm 27,  and also a record collector/DJ (funk, soul, jazz fusion, 90's hip-hop). In regards to comics I mainly collect X-men - I've always been a fan of them in some shape or form since the 90's animated series. I'd love to eventually collect the entire 1-66 run of vol.1 (even if only in a lowish grade) I have a couple issues sorted but trying to get them for a fair price in Australia is a bit tough and shipping from the US is a killer sometimes.

Anyway, thats enough of my life story. Looking forward to becoming a part of the community here!

14 hours ago, SerialGrape said:

Hey all,

New to the boards and relatively new to collecting (been buying a few bits and pieces for about two years, maybe about 200 comics give or take).

I hail from Australia, I'm 27,  and also a record collector/DJ (funk, soul, jazz fusion, 90's hip-hop). In regards to comics I mainly collect X-men - I've always been a fan of them in some shape or form since the 90's animated series. I'd love to eventually collect the entire 1-66 run of vol.1 (even if only in a lowish grade) I have a couple issues sorted but trying to get them for a fair price in Australia is a bit tough and shipping from the US is a killer sometimes.

Anyway, thats enough of my life story. Looking forward to becoming a part of the community here!

Welcome to the boards ;)

Several people here are from Australia, so your in good company. X-Men the animated first series was awesome, I had to buy them all on DVD (thumbsu

I'm ida know, and I am wanting to learn about comic collecting because my brother was a collector and left me his collection. I would like to see what he saw in them. He died in the 80's and some of my favorite memories of him were hanging out in his room reading the new mutants. I never really caught the bug but I want to see it in a different way.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:57 PM, Idaknow said:

I'm ida know, and I am wanting to learn about comic collecting because my brother was a collector and left me his collection. I would like to see what he saw in them. He died in the 80's and some of my favorite memories of him were hanging out in his room reading the new mutants. I never really caught the bug but I want to see it in a different way.

Welcome! to the Boards! Glad to Have You Here :) 

Hello my name is Rob. I am in Canada and I used to collect comics growing up. I guess they would be considered moderns. I bought my first slab last week and saw the website and decided to check it out. Looks like a lot of information and resources here, good reading :)

14 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Hello my name is Rob. I am in Canada and I used to collect comics growing up. I guess they would be considered moderns. I bought my first slab last week and saw the website and decided to check it out. Looks like a lot of information and resources here, good reading :)

Hello Rob! And welcome to the boards!

Hey everyone,

I have been lurking for about 3 months now and decided to finally make an account. I was born in 1973, in Manhattan, and started collecting when I was around 7. It started with mostly Archie stuff and eventually moved on to superhero comics. I attribute that to cartoons like Super Friends and all the Hanna Barbera stuff like Bird Man, Mightor, etc. I eventually moved to the Bronx. My comic shop was Fordham/C&C/C&P comics. The name changed a few times. I moved to NH and quit collecting around 95'. However, I never stopped watching superhero cartoons.

About 3 months ago, I picked up an Avengers 86 to start. One whiff of the pages, and I became addicted again. I'm not interested in modern books though. I've mostly been buying silver and bronze. I've been reading this forum almost daily and picking up as much information as I can. I've gotten pretty decent at grading in that short amount of time, and my guesses on the grading forum are pretty spot on with other seasoned members. I've been using cheat sheets I picked up from YouTubers: etaNick and Gumba 213. Now, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about restoration spotting.

Looking forward to participating in the forums and eventually building up enough trust to buy some books here. I've seen some great deals here. Although, I have been buying from ebay, I really don't care for it. I would rather build a long-term relationship with a few of the dealers here.

-Mike

23 hours ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:

Hey everyone,

I have been lurking for about 3 months now and decided to finally make an account. I was born in 1973, in Manhattan, and started collecting when I was around 7. It started with mostly Archie stuff and eventually moved on to superhero comics. I attribute that to cartoons like Super Friends and all the Hanna Barbera stuff like Bird Man, Mightor, etc. I eventually moved to the Bronx. My comic shop was Fordham/C&C/C&P comics. The name changed a few times. I moved to NH and quit collecting around 95'. However, I never stopped watching superhero cartoons.

About 3 months ago, I picked up an Avengers 86 to start. One whiff of the pages, and I became addicted again. I'm not interested in modern books though. I've mostly been buying silver and bronze. I've been reading this forum almost daily and picking up as much information as I can. I've gotten pretty decent at grading in that short amount of time, and my guesses on the grading forum are pretty spot on with other seasoned members. I've been using cheat sheets I picked up from YouTubers: etaNick and Gumba 213. Now, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about restoration spotting.

Looking forward to participating in the forums and eventually building up enough trust to buy some books here. I've seen some great deals here. Although, I have been buying from ebay, I really don't care for it. I would rather build a long-term relationship with a few of the dealers here.

-Mike

Awesome Mike! and Welcome to the Boards! :)  I hope to see you in the Grading Contests here on the boards that happen periodically ^^

Good evening everyone. To be honest, I have been a member of CGC for just over one year plus.  I thoroughly enjoy reading posts on the plethora of topics listed on this fantastic site. I began collecting in 1984 at the age of 13. My very first comic I purchased from my little town's drugstore was Prince Namor The Sub-Mariner #1 of a four issue mini-series. From there I also purchased my very first Amazing Spider-Man issue #260, which I became an ASM addict. Discovered a LCS in Rochester, MN not soon after, which became my base of operations for collecting various titles. Ninety percent of my collection is Marvel, followed by Image a distant second, along with others, such as DC, Top Cow, Dark Horse, Mirage Studious,etc... I quit buying current Modern titles three years ago and only focusing on completing my ASM Vol 1. My Holy Grail of my entire collection is my Danger Girl 2 (Ruby Red), bought at the 1998 SDCC for $100. I finally had it signed by J. Scott Campbell at the Boston Comic-Con 2017, and recently was graded by CGC as a 9.8 SS.  I posted a photo of it on the J. Scott Campbell Appreciation Thread. In addition, my collection totals at 4,256 books, 80 of which are slabbed. Currently reside in El Paso, TX. Thank you.

Adam

5 minutes ago, Otter1775 said:

Good evening everyone. To be honest, I have been a member of CGC for just over one year plus.  I thoroughly enjoy reading posts on the plethora of topics listed on this fantastic site. I began collecting in 1984 at the age of 13. My very first comic I purchased from my little town's drugstore was Prince Namor The Sub-Mariner #1 of a four issue mini-series. From there I also purchased my very first Amazing Spider-Man issue #260, which I became an ASM addict. Discovered a LCS in Rochester, MN not soon after, which became my base of operations for collecting various titles. Ninety percent of my collection is Marvel, followed by Image a distant second, along with others, such as DC, Top Cow, Dark Horse, Mirage Studious,etc... I quit buying current Modern titles three years ago and only focusing on completing my ASM Vol 1. My Holy Grail of my entire collection is my Danger Girl 2 (Ruby Red), bought at the 1998 SDCC for $100. I finally had it signed by J. Scott Campbell at the Boston Comic-Con 2017, and recently was graded by CGC as a 9.8 SS.  I posted a photo of it on the J. Scott Campbell Appreciation Thread. In addition, my collection totals at 4,256 books, 80 of which are slabbed. Currently reside in El Paso, TX. Thank you.

Adam

Great report! And sure to make a great rapport! Moderns can be a sticky wicket lol but looks like you have a gem one of this too!^^

On 7/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, SerialGrape said:

Hey all,

I'm sad that your name isn't "SerialGrapeist."

You know, as an homage to Penny's biggest role in Big Bang.

24 minutes ago, mBoric said:

Hey guys,

I just joined today, so go easy on me :$

Im from Europe, i have 22 years, and i don't know what to do with my life :banana:

Welcome, you seem to have a good heart :shy: we all have our days of good and bad! At 22 you've lived enough of those days to fit right in (thumbsu 

Welcome to the boards :banana: !!