• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!!! 

Excited to start my CGC journey, I have been sending books to CBCS for a few years and was finally convinced to make the switch to CGC. Was always a little worried, ive heard stories that its difficult and takes forever to get your books back from CGC. Figured its time to see for myself.

I am a huge ASM and Flash fan and getting ready to submit my first order!! 

On 5/21/2020 at 11:42 AM, boylefam18 said:

Hello Everyone!!! 

Excited to start my CGC journey, I have been sending books to CBCS for a few years and was finally convinced to make the switch to CGC. Was always a little worried, ive heard stories that its difficult and takes forever to get your books back from CGC. Figured its time to see for myself.

I am a huge ASM and Flash fan and getting ready to submit my first order!! 

Welcome @boylefam18

TAT's (turn around times) right now should be fairly quick at CGC :) with no con's, they've been super fast! CGC has some in-house signings coming up, which "may affect", but should be still decent TAT (thumbsu 

Welcome! :headbang: hope it is an easy transition :tink: 

Long time lurker, first time poster. I totally forgot I made this account until I tried to sign up again. I haven't really bought much comics since the 90 drek era. I'm looking to start again but mostly with key books. I'm probably a bit late since prices are fairly high right now.

On 5/24/2020 at 10:28 PM, johnjinx said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I totally forgot I made this account until I tried to sign up again. I haven't really bought much comics since the 90 drek era. I'm looking to start again but mostly with key books. I'm probably a bit late since prices are fairly high right now.

lol honesty! :headbang: 

It'll still be fun to collect! Even if it costs a bit more, there should still be room for growth anyway :wishluck: But welcome to the boards!

:tink: 

Hi everyone!

Longgggggg time lurker on the forums here, maybe 7 or 8 years and decided to get that first moderator approved post over with. I'll admit I'm mostly a coin guy specializing in Standing Liberty Quarters, however with all this work from home recently providing me with seemingly endless time to spend on Heritage Auctions looking for just the right quarter with just the right eye appeal, that never seems to surface, I've become a bit bored with that endeavor and decided to branch back in to comics for a bit. 

I started reading comics when I was about 10, so if anyone asks 19 years ago, but just between us it's been longer. Not so much a reader anymore but collecting runs deep within me and I definitely enjoy the artwork and being able to acquire books I could only dream of as a kid. Fast forward to today and I took the plunge for the first time in a long time and decided to take a trip to the mythical "outside" and took a drive to my local comic shop to see how they were doing. I hadn't been in since last August and was happy to pick up a copy of Journey Into Mystery 85 to scratch that collecting itch. 

Anywhooo, glad I decided to formally say hello and hoping it doesn't take another 7 or 8 years to get to post #2!

16 hours ago, lotofsilver said:

Hi everyone!

Longgggggg time lurker on the forums here, maybe 7 or 8 years and decided to get that first moderator approved post over with. I'll admit I'm mostly a coin guy specializing in Standing Liberty Quarters, however with all this work from home recently providing me with seemingly endless time to spend on Heritage Auctions looking for just the right quarter with just the right eye appeal, that never seems to surface, I've become a bit bored with that endeavor and decided to branch back in to comics for a bit. 

I started reading comics when I was about 10, so if anyone asks 19 years ago, but just between us it's been longer. Not so much a reader anymore but collecting runs deep within me and I definitely enjoy the artwork and being able to acquire books I could only dream of as a kid. Fast forward to today and I took the plunge for the first time in a long time and decided to take a trip to the mythical "outside" and took a drive to my local comic shop to see how they were doing. I hadn't been in since last August and was happy to pick up a copy of Journey Into Mystery 85 to scratch that collecting itch. 

Anywhooo, glad I decided to formally say hello and hoping it doesn't take another 7 or 8 years to get to post #2!

Formally YEEEEES!! Welcome to the Boards!

On 6/6/2020 at 5:03 PM, Crom5150 said:

Hey everyone! I’ve been collecting for quite a while, but just recently began getting into grading. I’m a fan of pretty much everything, especially pre-code. Here we go!

By Crom!! - Conan

Welcome :headbang:

Hi everyone! New to the boards and collecting as well - I just started collecting Sci Fi pulps a couple of months ago when I was looking for a first edition of the Isaac Asimov Foundation novels (too rich for my blood unfortunately...) and stumbled across Astounding Science Fiction where he originally published them as short stories in the 40s/50s. Many sleepless nights and eBay searches later...and I just completed the entire run of Foundation stories in Astounding Science Fiction, and picked up a few other interesting Golden Age pulps along the way. None of my friends cared, so here I am!

Hi everyone! Very new to comics and grading.

I've started on a lifelong dream of collecting the entire Heavy Metal magazine run, as well as other pulp and anthology series from the 70s and 80s.

Looking forward to connecting with you all, learning more about comics, and hopefully being able to find some of my most sought after items through the WTB forum!

Hey Everybody! I've been on the boards for a few weeks, and forgot to check in here (I already sold a few things on the WTB threads :) )

Looking to get a few comics graded from my mostly 70s thru 90's collection, and I've already got back my Hulk 181... graded at a 7.5!!! (Pressing WORKS!)

See ya'll around!

Pete

10 hours ago, PayDro said:

Hey Everybody! I've been on the boards for a few weeks, and forgot to check in here (I already sold a few things on the WTB threads :) )

Looking to get a few comics graded from my mostly 70s thru 90's collection, and I've already got back my Hulk 181... graded at a 7.5!!! (Pressing WORKS!)

See ya'll around!

Pete

Awesome Pete! Glad to have you :) Welcome to the Boards!

Hello, 

I am Mike. I am helping a friend with her late husbands collection of books. Not sure what if anything is of value. A lot of it is Western comics and large group of Classics Illustrated. The only things I know about comics are condition is paramount. I am cataloging it in a database for now. She does not want them in the house and I have no interest so trying to determine best course of action. Figured this was a good starting point. 

On 6/11/2020 at 1:52 AM, asimovpulps said:

Hi everyone! New to the boards and collecting as well - I just started collecting Sci Fi pulps a couple of months ago when I was looking for a first edition of the Isaac Asimov Foundation novels (too rich for my blood unfortunately...) and stumbled across Astounding Science Fiction where he originally published them as short stories in the 40s/50s. Many sleepless nights and eBay searches later...and I just completed the entire run of Foundation stories in Astounding Science Fiction, and picked up a few other interesting Golden Age pulps along the way. None of my friends cared, so here I am!

Super cool.  It's amazing how many incredible stories started in the pulps.  Welcome and be sure to share pics in the pulps thread:

Edited by thunsicker

On 6/12/2020 at 11:50 AM, Heavy-ish Metal said:

Hi everyone! Very new to comics and grading.

I've started on a lifelong dream of collecting the entire Heavy Metal magazine run, as well as other pulp and anthology series from the 70s and 80s.

Looking forward to connecting with you all, learning more about comics, and hopefully being able to find some of my most sought after items through the WTB forum!

Welcome.  Sounds like you'll be spending some time in the Magazine section:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/35-comic-magazines/

On 6/19/2020 at 6:55 PM, mperez135 said:

Hello I'm Matthew, I'm new to comic collecting. My dad has given me this comic book collection. I've gotten about 16 boxes full of comics ranging between Marvel and DC. Trying to figure out the best way to store them so they can be in the best shape.

Tons of information (much of it contradictory) here on comic storage.  I won't give you a direct link since there are so many threads that concern this, but here's a helpful google search:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEV_enUS832US832&sxsrf=ALeKk03L1HvG17smLhmwyRityIHSKCD5Sg%3A1593117484644&ei=LAv1XvvlJtrbtAaZjanICg&q=comic+storage+site%3Awww.cgccomics.com%2Fboards&oq=comic+storage+site%3Awww.cgccomics.com%2Fboards&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDFDPHFjEPWCJTGgCcAB4AIABlAGIAZoNkgEEMy4xMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj7q4eO6Z3qAhXaLc0KHZlGCqkQ4dUDCAw

(You'll find out quickly to use google rather than the site search)

Edited by thunsicker

On 6/23/2020 at 3:39 PM, Hoop525 said:

Hello, 

I am Mike. I am helping a friend with her late husbands collection of books. Not sure what if anything is of value. A lot of it is Western comics and large group of Classics Illustrated. The only things I know about comics are condition is paramount. I am cataloging it in a database for now. She does not want them in the house and I have no interest so trying to determine best course of action. Figured this was a good starting point. 

Hey Mike,

You are absolutely correct that condition will be the most important thing for value for any comic.  That said for the Classics Illustrated you'll need to find out about HRN's.  For westerns the values are going to be determined by cover artist and publisher.