• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Spider-Gwen said:

tenor.gif

My name is Amy and I just started collecting recently. I'm looking forward to expanding my collection and getting to know you guys! :)

Howdy, glad to hear there is interest, there are several forums on the boards and a section for beginners to ask questions. A lot have been asked and answered. All in all welcome and hope you enjoy it! Many threads to find different collecting interests too ^^

:tink:

New to the CGC boards, but not to comics collecting.

Got serious about collecting in the mid 1970s. Afternoons spent biking to local stores that sold comics to find all the titles I collected.

Started with DCs but expanded to Marvel shortly thereafter.

My first collecting goal was to obtain a complete set of the original Justice League. Run was already at about 115 then and I did complete it the old-school way by purchasing the issues at conventions over a period of a few years. Around that same time I started reading about this series called the X-Men which I was not collecting. But I started! At that point it was not too difficult to obtain all the back issues with the new group starting with GS 1 and 94, both at reasonable prices.

Continued to purchase new issues of all main DC/Marvel titles but finally tailed off cold turkey in early 2018. I also literally ran out of room to store more boxes in my house. 

What brought me back a couple months ago was actually Basketball cards. After working on cataloguing that long dormant collection (1990s was my peak decade) I said to myself "What about all your comics?"

Grading was not a "thing" during my most active years of going to conventions and I never had a motivation after I knew about it.

As part of my current re-education - have been watching alot of You Tube channels - it seemed like a good decision to get some of my comics graded. I had some pressed first - another concept I had never heard of until a few weeks ago.

First order was formally received by CGC this past week and the next order is being shipped out. 

Will be watching these Message Boards and possibly using the Selling Forums.

George

On 7/31/2020 at 10:55 PM, RU George said:

New to the CGC boards, but not to comics collecting.

Got serious about collecting in the mid 1970s. Afternoons spent biking to local stores that sold comics to find all the titles I collected.

Started with DCs but expanded to Marvel shortly thereafter.

My first collecting goal was to obtain a complete set of the original Justice League. Run was already at about 115 then and I did complete it the old-school way by purchasing the issues at conventions over a period of a few years. Around that same time I started reading about this series called the X-Men which I was not collecting. But I started! At that point it was not too difficult to obtain all the back issues with the new group starting with GS 1 and 94, both at reasonable prices.

Continued to purchase new issues of all main DC/Marvel titles but finally tailed off cold turkey in early 2018. I also literally ran out of room to store more boxes in my house. 

What brought me back a couple months ago was actually Basketball cards. After working on cataloguing that long dormant collection (1990s was my peak decade) I said to myself "What about all your comics?"

Grading was not a "thing" during my most active years of going to conventions and I never had a motivation after I knew about it.

As part of my current re-education - have been watching alot of You Tube channels - it seemed like a good decision to get some of my comics graded. I had some pressed first - another concept I had never heard of until a few weeks ago.

First order was formally received by CGC this past week and the next order is being shipped out. 

Will be watching these Message Boards and possibly using the Selling Forums.

George

Howdy George! That's a glad bag, the good stuff! Welcome to the boards :whee: super happy your doing the research, I pray you get trusted information, being willing to learn is always a humbling experience lol kudos and stick around! :headbang: 

Mike here, been collecting on and off for the past 20 years.  But for the past 2 years I’ve been steadily collecting.  
i like to collect some Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, and Independants. DC sometimes but not lately.  
New to CGC boards.  I’m slowly leaning towards graded over raw but I’ll buy raw to submit for grading.  
Any questions just ask away.  
my most recent graded book came back 9.6 Ultimate Fallout 4 and when I got it back I saw one little spine tick on the back cover.  And right now Predator 1 x2 are at CGC getting ready for grading.  I’m hoping 9.6’s.

Thanks.

Mike K.

18 hours ago, Michael Kamuda said:

Mike here, been collecting on and off for the past 20 years.  But for the past 2 years I’ve been steadily collecting.  
i like to collect some Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, and Independants. DC sometimes but not lately.  
New to CGC boards.  I’m slowly leaning towards graded over raw but I’ll buy raw to submit for grading.  
Any questions just ask away.  
my most recent graded book came back 9.6 Ultimate Fallout 4 and when I got it back I saw one little spine tick on the back cover.  And right now Predator 1 x2 are at CGC getting ready for grading.  I’m hoping 9.6’s.

Thanks.

Mike K.

Hey Mike! Ya DC doesn't get talked about enough, it needs some buzz now a days, but may be under appreciated depending on anyone's philosophical bend lol

Glad to hear your trying cgc and slabs, if you're interested there is a cgc registry. Some forget about that, but you can enter your slabs certs and earn points, show pics etc. I like to add pics when I get slabs to the registry because if I want to remember a book, I need only go look at my registry rather than dig it out of a slab box, which if I'm honest is fun too lol

Anyway welcome! To the boards.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, Jaraven7 said:

Hi, i'm james from Manchester England.

I have been collecting Comics since the 1990s like many others from that era the Comics haven't really increased in value. :(

For the Past five years i've studied Daily on Comics Mainly related to the spike and demand in Movies and tv Shows Past,present and future.

Thanks to google I found out about 30c,35c and Canadian Variants, In England back then we was unaware of this.

My Favourite characters Are  Booster Gold or Homer Simpson as Radiation Man Also Freakazoid and the Creeper

I Tend to prefer obscure Characters tbf.

My Favourite team is Defenders of Dynatron city

My Favourite Comic are

Starwars #1 35c Variant

Action Comics #1

Graphic Fantasy #1

I would say i'm more into investing for Future profit  than collecting,

However I do Appericate Some artwork but I would much Rather own the Original Art.

I have a few threads up and i am happy to discuss almost anything.

Thanks for the honesty! and welcome! :) 

Greetings earthlings.

My name is Jon. I’m a native of Albuq, NM (57 years) and started collecting when I was about 8. My collection is quite diversified though I quit buying new books about 15-20 years ago. Always been super careful while reading and storing my books, even as a little kid, so I might be a bit of a condition freak. I’ve read the boards for sometime now have really appreciated the vast knowledge within. What a great resource (helps to fill the void left by CBG and CBM). My thanks to all of you. 

Hi all,

Jesse here - new to CGC, but I used to "collect" comics as a kid in the 80s and 90s. I put it in quotes because I just bought a lot comics to read back then, so I don't have some awesome collection sitting anywhere (although I do have a bin somewhere I should find and look through, but I'm sure the storage was horrendous). I recently got the bug to start collecting for real, and I made a list of my own personal key issues that I want to own - some are true keys and some are just key to me because I remember having them as a kid - like DC Special Series 21 for example - whoever can guess why I like and want that particular book wins the blue ribbon.

I started in comics as a little kid by reading my dad and grandpa's old books with half the top covers cut off that I found in a box (apparently stores used to be able to cut the top half of the covers off to send back to the distributor as proof of unsold comics somehow? But then they'd just sell the cut-up comic at a discount...).

I'm a huge Batman fanboy, and my favorite artists are Neal Adams and George Perez, but I'm a sucker for Frank Miller and Jim Lee too. I just bought my first-ever CGC graded comic yesterday - had to start with good old Batman 404 - got it in a 9.4. I don't have a huge budget to collect, and since I'm not trying to resell, I'm looking to find the sweet spot of getting issues I want in a decent grade without breaking the bank. My reasoning is they'll hopefully hold their value a little down the road when I pass them on to my kids, but they also look decent enough now when I show them off. But it's more important to me to get an affordable issue of something I really want to own even if it's a lower grade than it is to chase 9.8s all day (plus I can't afford that!). Looking forward to learning a lot on these forums!

On 8/8/2020 at 10:30 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Hi all,

Jesse here - new to CGC, but I used to "collect" comics as a kid in the 80s and 90s. I put it in quotes because I just bought a lot comics to read back then, so I don't have some awesome collection sitting anywhere (although I do have a bin somewhere I should find and look through, but I'm sure the storage was horrendous). I recently got the bug to start collecting for real, and I made a list of my own personal key issues that I want to own - some are true keys and some are just key to me because I remember having them as a kid - like DC Special Series 21 for example - whoever can guess why I like and want that particular book wins the blue ribbon.

I started in comics as a little kid by reading my dad and grandpa's old books with half the top covers cut off that I found in a box (apparently stores used to be able to cut the top half of the covers off to send back to the distributor as proof of unsold comics somehow? But then they'd just sell the cut-up comic at a discount...).

I'm a huge Batman fanboy, and my favorite artists are Neal Adams and George Perez, but I'm a sucker for Frank Miller and Jim Lee too. I just bought my first-ever CGC graded comic yesterday - had to start with good old Batman 404 - got it in a 9.4. I don't have a huge budget to collect, and since I'm not trying to resell, I'm looking to find the sweet spot of getting issues I want in a decent grade without breaking the bank. My reasoning is they'll hopefully hold their value a little down the road when I pass them on to my kids, but they also look decent enough now when I show them off. But it's more important to me to get an affordable issue of something I really want to own even if it's a lower grade than it is to chase 9.8s all day (plus I can't afford that!). Looking forward to learning a lot on these forums!

Welcome! Glad there is a goal :headbang: 

Hello, New to these boards but have been collecting comics & CGC slabs for the last couple years, so fairly new to all of this, but I've made some pretty quick progress in acquiring a lot of the Silver Age books. Look forward to buying & maybe selling some in the future !! Cheers 👍 Boo Bradberry @DallasBoo33

Fan of early ASMs, Wolverine, Daredevil, Hulk & TMNT.

Edited by DallasBoo33
Add my favorite titles

16 hours ago, DallasBoo33 said:

Hello, New to these boards but have been collecting comics & CGC slabs for the last couple years, so fairly new to all of this, but I've made some pretty quick progress in acquiring a lot of the Silver Age books. Look forward to buying & maybe selling some in the future !! Cheers 👍 Boo Bradberry @DallasBoo33

Fan of early ASMs, Wolverine, Daredevil, Hulk & TMNT.

Welcome to the boards! Sounds like you may have got to acquire some stuff before this spike in prices lol

Amazing turn of events in the market...

Hello! 

New to the boards and new to collecting CGC books! My collection is small now, but I hope to grow it soon! 

Currently, I have Batman #1 (2nd Series), All-Star Batman #1 (2016), Batman #457, and Detective Comics #1000. 

I hope to gather more Batman books and some other graded books that I used to collect when growing up. I remember when I would ride my bike to the local comic shop and always look in the dollar comic box. I found a series that I really enjoyed back then, Sleepwalker (1991) from Marvel. I hope to get at least issue #1 at some point as that book has meant a lot to me. 

I'll be collecting mostly Batman, some Spider-Man, a little X-Men, maybe Watchmen, a few Sleepwalker, and hopefully more!

4 hours ago, Munyak said:

Hello! 

New to the boards and new to collecting CGC books! My collection is small now, but I hope to grow it soon! 

Currently, I have Batman #1 (2nd Series), All-Star Batman #1 (2016), Batman #457, and Detective Comics #1000. 

I hope to gather more Batman books and some other graded books that I used to collect when growing up. I remember when I would ride my bike to the local comic shop and always look in the dollar comic box. I found a series that I really enjoyed back then, Sleepwalker (1991) from Marvel. I hope to get at least issue #1 at some point as that book has meant a lot to me. 

I'll be collecting mostly Batman, some Spider-Man, a little X-Men, maybe Watchmen, a few Sleepwalker, and hopefully more!

Man Sleepwalker is a blast from the past! lol 

velcome ta de birds boards! 

On 8/7/2020 at 2:16 PM, Drunken Android said:
On 8/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, Icandothisallday said:
On 8/5/2020 at 4:49 PM, Jaraven7 said:

What exsactley does it explain?

You don't make any sense buddy.

More irony

Once again he can't do this all day. Irony out the wazoo

Hello everyone.  I've lurked here on and off for years and never made an account until today.  I got big into collecting back in 2005 around House of M and GL:Rebirth.  Fell out a bit after New52, jumped back in around Spider-Verse (the comic arc) and jumped out again after Hickman's Secret Wars.  Fables is my only series I own the entire run too, and I also love Invincible and Saga as well and followed both books through the HC graphic novels.  I live and work in Asian and usually come back stateside for SDCC and/or NYCC and will usually bring back books for grading at those times.  With current events, I don't know when I'll be back to the USA.  So here I am, officially joining the boards.  It boggles my mind how some of the Miles, Gwenpoole, and Ms. Marvel stuff has shot up in price as of late.

2 hours ago, Smiley424 said:

Hello everyone.  I've lurked here on and off for years and never made an account until today.  I got big into collecting back in 2005 around House of M and GL:Rebirth.  Fell out a bit after New52, jumped back in around Spider-Verse (the comic arc) and jumped out again after Hickman's Secret Wars.  Fables is my only series I own the entire run too, and I also love Invincible and Saga as well and followed both books through the HC graphic novels.  I live and work in Asian and usually come back stateside for SDCC and/or NYCC and will usually bring back books for grading at those times.  With current events, I don't know when I'll be back to the USA.  So here I am, officially joining the boards.  It boggles my mind how some of the Miles, Gwenpoole, and Ms. Marvel stuff has shot up in price as of late.

Welcome! I'm even wondering about "con's" to happen early next year, here is hoping :wishluck: 

:tink: 

Hello

I'm Ziggy. I'm not really a comic collector but I recently inherited a large collection from my brother-in-law so, I guess I am now!! ha ha

I've been going through my new collection, making an inventory list (just passed 9,000 books!), looking for keys (getting the know the lingo). It's been really fun, I have to admit. I want to read all of them, but I'm afraid I might damage the quality. I do peek at some, tho. The collection seems to be spread across Bronze/Copper/Modern, with some silver and golden age (although these are in pretty poor condition). I pulled all the Watchmen/Before Watchmen...and I feel sorry for Concrete, so I pulled all of those too. Does anyone follow Red Wolf...that story seems interesting. Maybe I'll be able to read some of them (carefully with gloves on). I've been getting a ton of valuable information from all of you so thank you, hello, and see you around.

ziggy

intropost.jpg