• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,913 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ruskoinabiscuit said:

Hello I’m Cameron I’m a swe from Santa Barbara, I recently have become nearly addicted to collecting comics and researching which ones are good for resale. Hope to find some cool people here and some helpful advice!

Welcome Cameron, glad you're in the spirit! :tink: 

On 11/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, Werebear said:

Hello all, art collector here. I focus primarily on World of Warcraft paintings but I'm looking into artwork for a few specific modern comic series (Astounding Wolf-Man, Venom).  

There is definitely a wide array, and you'll find a home in the Original Art section, lot of business and coffee talk :tink: 

On 11/17/2020 at 1:20 AM, Michael Boucher said:

Hey everyone, new collector here. Always been into comics but never collected until last year. I’m mainly into modern (Cates/X-Men for the most part) but also into TMNT. I sent in my first submission last month and am anxiously awaiting it’s return!

Awesome Stories with a following, best of luck :tink: 

welocome!

Hi, I've been reading the boards for a few months now, it's a great community, and I felt it was time to finally signup!  I've returned back to comic collecting after a couple decades away, and looking forward to filling in key comics in my silver age collection including Spider-man and Fantastic Four!  Looking forward to it!!

4 minutes ago, Werebear said:

Thanks! It's definitely a different ballgame from illustration. Higher ceiling. lol

I feel you, I'm in the shallow end too, but it's nice still to see what interest peopl, maybe a story of acquisition, just a lot of it lol

Hi everyone I'm Skip, I collected in the 90s but lost my collection and was too bummed to restart it. Then I binged Comic Book Men recently and all the memories and feels came back and here I am lol. I missed it! Spidey has always been my favorite and I had some nice ones back in the 90s (including a stack of 300s) Looking forward to this community!

5 hours ago, Sferg said:

Hi everyone I'm Skip, I collected in the 90s but lost my collection and was too bummed to restart it. Then I binged Comic Book Men recently and all the memories and feels came back and here I am lol. I missed it! Spidey has always been my favorite and I had some nice ones back in the 90s (including a stack of 300s) Looking forward to this community!

Welcome! Comic Book Men also played a role in my return if I'm honest. They had only 1 season on Netflix way back in 2015or 16 and I watched it laughing and enjoying. Hasn't been anymore seasons since and :( 

But more to the point visiting a comic shop near my college was the real turner back in 2014, so welcome Skip, glad to see the passion reignited :headbang: 

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and used to read and collect lot of Punisher and Batman in the 80's when I was a kid, took a (too) long break and happened to get back into it by accident 2 years ago when I was stuck in St. Louis for 6 hours after a flight cancellation.  Went downtown to kill some time, walked into Apotheosis and met some of the nicest people who were helpful in selecting books for me to read on the plane ride home to Washington DC.  In the before times I logged 120 hotel nights/year and I found I didn't always have the cycles to read serious books on a 6am cross country flight, but comic books and graphic novels were the perfect solution.

Hi

After 35 years since I stopped collecting, I have come back and amongst other things, found this site. Technological changes over the last decades have certainly made it easier on collectors, so I am looking forward to completing my SA collection of Marvels. (Or at least those I can afford :(). Looking forward to learning more on this forum...

Edited by Albert Thurgood

I'm Mike. Been buying/reading (and even stealing as a young child, don't judge me :) ) comics since I was a kid. I have realized over the course of the last few months that I am a comic hobby enthusiast, but I can't really call myself a "collector". I have a bunch of runs of various sizes from different comics, some keys from the 80's/90's, and a lot of "other stuff" that I thought would be good to collect and wasn't (8 copies of X-Force #1 with different trading cards anyone???) . I have recently gotten more in to serious collecting of current stuff, and I buy various silver/golden age comics here and there if I see them available for a good price.  

Hello friends,

Wanted to drop a note and say hello! I started collecting X-men comics when I was a kid and stopped for a while. Was super happy that the MCU came to cinema and I realized my childhood hobbies weren't all that nerdy at all!

Got lots to learn and lots to read on the forum. Kind of my first question I've been seeking the answer to is

What are some key must do's for buying from people off the non common platforms (eBay/cgc forum etc). Anyone open to sharing some horror stories of paypaling someone money and never receiving the item?

Thanks!

Kingsley

Hello!

Just discovered these forums.  I collected back in the day when I was a kid.  Early to mid-80s. Had no idea what I was doing.  Then I went to college out of state and never moved back home again.  So my collection sat in my childhood bedroom closet for about 30 years, until my mom decided to sell her house and basically told me I needed to come and get it, or it was going out to the curb.  So, get it I did. 

Going back through this stuff has been such a joy for me.  Even though I have to cry a bit on the inside at all the "what might have beens" had I known a bit more then - like, what series I *should* have been buying :nyah:, and particularly about the proper way to store it all.  

Still, it makes me happy to have them again.  A bit of research suggests I don't own anything that's going to allow me to retire, but I do have some okay books.  Not sure if anything is worth getting CGC graded or not.  I might put some pics in the "please grade my books forum" for fun.  

Hope to see you around!

Greetings all,

New member here. Hope all are well and safe. I just recently have revived my interest in collecting comics as an adult. I originally collected back in the late 70's and early 80's when I was just a kid. Strictly a Marvel guy, I mostly keyed on The Amazing Spider-Man and the X-Men. Fast forward 40 years. Looking back, I wish I had been more aggressive in going after the earlier issues of both series. Will soon be submitting some of my "better" (though, nothing too exciting) books for grading. Trying to decide what books make the most sense to submit. I'm very excited to learn the hobby as it exists today by watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading/browsing different comic collecting sites. Looking to get my 9 year old into the hobby as well. Don't laugh, but I started him off  with a Spongebob #1 slabbed 9.8; first slabbed book I ever purchased! I think collecting comics will be a great way to spend countless hours together having quality family time. I recently picked up a few Marvel silver coins for his collection, as well. We will see how it goes!!!

Be well,

Ron.