• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm Chris from upstate NY. Collected when I was younger and ended up selling off my collection when I went to college about 20 years ago. I was collected here and there over the past year or two, just picking up random things, but my oldest daughter started to take an interest in comics about 6 months ago so now I've really gotten back into it. I've started to pick up a bunch of the books I really loved from my collection when I was younger and I always enjoyed collecting Venom stuff, so I just recently picked up a decent ASM300 which is most definitely in better condition than my original much loved/read copy. Looking forward to learning a bunch off this board! 

21 hours ago, zeeto said:

Hey all, I'm Chris from upstate NY. Collected when I was younger and ended up selling off my collection when I went to college about 20 years ago. I was collected here and there over the past year or two, just picking up random things, but my oldest daughter started to take an interest in comics about 6 months ago so now I've really gotten back into it. I've started to pick up a bunch of the books I really loved from my collection when I was younger and I always enjoyed collecting Venom stuff, so I just recently picked up a decent ASM300 which is most definitely in better condition than my original much loved/read copy. Looking forward to learning a bunch off this board! 

:golfclap:Outstanding that you are supporting your daughter. That is great.

Hey all, I'm Jordan. Just recently stumbled onto the forms here a few hours ago when researching Disney Ducks and Looney Tunes books. I'm interested in everything but the focuses are Disney Ducks, Looney Tunes, my favorite heroes, and Archie. SA, CA, BA Western, War, and Horror have popped up on my radar, but I don't know if I'll focus on any of these series. I'm in it for the history, the art, and the stories. Started dabbling a few years ago with moderns and recently started going to cons regularly, and it's been a slippery slope from there. 

7 hours ago, DisneyDevotee said:

Hey all, I'm Jordan. Just recently stumbled onto the forms here a few hours ago when researching Disney Ducks and Looney Tunes books. I'm interested in everything but the focuses are Disney Ducks, Looney Tunes, my favorite heroes, and Archie. SA, CA, BA Western, War, and Horror have popped up on my radar, but I don't know if I'll focus on any of these series. I'm in it for the history, the art, and the stories. Started dabbling a few years ago with moderns and recently started going to cons regularly, and it's been a slippery slope from there. 

Welcome Jordan, there are several Ducks Fans here :foryou: Welcome to the Boards!!

Hello to everyone.....I'm Lightning55, brand new to CGC in general.  Over the years, I would set aside comics now and then to get graded "when I got around to it", so of course they sat for a long time.  Just made my first submission, Venom stuff.  Happy with the grades, 4x 9.8 and a couple of 9.6's.  Hope to learn a lot here about comics, and mostly how to participate on the boards.  Never really got involved in posting, messaging, etc. on any boards or blogs, mostly lurking, if that term is still used.  One of my early goals is to get some advice on what to do with a Spawn #1 that has no yellow ink at all on the front cover.  Looks really odd.  Not a result of fading, just never had any yellow applied.  Maybe I can learn how to add pics soon - that would help.  One step at a time, I guess.  Glad to have the opportunity that this thread provides - a place to jump in and introduce myself.

7 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Hello to everyone.....I'm Lightning55, brand new to CGC in general.  Over the years, I would set aside comics now and then to get graded "when I got around to it", so of course they sat for a long time.  Just made my first submission, Venom stuff.  Happy with the grades, 4x 9.8 and a couple of 9.6's.  Hope to learn a lot here about comics, and mostly how to participate on the boards.  Never really got involved in posting, messaging, etc. on any boards or blogs, mostly lurking, if that term is still used.  One of my early goals is to get some advice on what to do with a Spawn #1 that has no yellow ink at all on the front cover.  Looks really odd.  Not a result of fading, just never had any yellow applied.  Maybe I can learn how to add pics soon - that would help.  One step at a time, I guess.  Glad to have the opportunity that this thread provides - a place to jump in and introduce myself.

Hey lightning55! And Yay for Venom stuff! Glad the grades came back to your liking, and Welcome to the Boards!

A good way to load pics is straight from your phone, provided you have a good camera; however for really good pics a printer with a scanner is the best. When I first joined, loading pics was the hardest for me too :foryou:

It has got easier now that they revamped the boards a bit....

8 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

you gonna grade the new venom run? :whee:

46 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

The only Venom I have is Lethal Protector, and maybe a couple of stray issues shortly after those.  I had 2 Gold editions graded, 2 #1 Red Foil, and 2 Secret Wars 8.

Let me guess, was it the Secret Wars that got 9.6?

30 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Let me guess, was it the Secret Wars that got 9.6?

Excellent deduction, ADAMANTIUM.  I would love to know what the graders saw to knock it down.  Not to question their judgement, but just to know and understand.  I suspect if you look long and hard enough at any specimen, there will be something.  I used the verify tool, and it says there are no grader notes.

8 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Excellent deduction, ADAMANTIUM.  I would love to know what the graders saw to knock it down.  Not to question their judgement, but just to know and understand.  I suspect if you look long and hard enough at any specimen, there will be something.  I used the verify tool, and it says there are no grader notes.

On 9.6/9.8 it could be something so simple as a dent not on the spine or even a fingerprint. Those 9.8's are tricky. You did alright though!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I remember looking at comics that seemed "gradable" years ago, filing them away.  Now I take them out and look them over and see minor defects right away that are certain to push them into the low 9's or below.  That's ok for an expensive book, and BARELY ok at that, but for most modern comics it can be of  questionable wisdom to invest more money in them.  But if you do, at least they are preserved.  I think I must have been wearing rose-colored glasses back in the day.

7 minutes ago, BadGirlComicArt said:

Can anyone tell me if CGC is using the new cases for their Magazine submissions? I have yet to find a straight answer on the topic. 

So far, the magazine cases that I’ve seen look the same as the old style.

big thanks for anyone with info 

Yes old style (thumbsu 

13 minutes ago, BadGirlComicArt said:

Well that’s disappointing and lazy of CGC. :(

They had a reason of some sort at the time, I don't remember if it was the thickness of magazines or not...

It's been a couple of years since the announcement, so pardon my ignorance. 

Greetings,

I'm Aquaman88 and I've been collecting comics since the mid 90s - Superman as a kid and Batman as a teenager. Now that I'm a bit older I've gotten back into comics, mostly Deathstroke, Saga, Farmhand and Aquaman. I didn't know grading existed until a few months ago but now that I do, I'm collecting a bunch of cool CGC Aquaman covers to decorate my study with.

I hope to meet and interact with the fine folks here!

Aquaman.jpg

3 minutes ago, Aquaman88 said:

Greetings,

I'm Aquaman88 and I've been collecting comics since the mid 90s - Superman as a kid and Batman as a teenager. Now that I'm a bit older I've gotten back into comics, mostly Deathstroke, Saga, Farmhand and Aquaman. I didn't know grading existed until a few months ago but now that I do, I'm collecting a bunch of cool CGC Aquaman covers to decorate my study with.

I hope to meet and interact with the fine folks here!

Aquaman.jpg

Welcome to CGC. Nice books!