• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hello,

My name is Steven but my nickname has been explosive for as long as I can remember. I just joined the CGC family today with my 5 yr old son Kaiden (KitKat). We are both very new to comic collecting. Im a single father of two (have a 14 month old daughter) and try and align my personal hobbies with my kids likes and dislikes in order to build stronger bonds. My son KitKat was born disabled and isn't able to do much in the way of sports and such but is amazingly smart and imaginative which makes our shared enjoyment of super hero entertainment a perfect pass time. 

Here are the major focusses we have been grabbing to start off:

1. Signatures, We have collected artsy and animated sigs for a few years that we hang on the walls. KitKat absolutely loves sigs and that hobby transferred right away to comic collecting.

2. In order of our top priority heros to collect Hulk, Spiderman, wonder woman, Flash and batman/robin (but not limited to these we love all super heros, these are KitKats faves)

3. Older comics that will retain there value or even raise in value over time (This is one of my main goals as I would like to be able to amass a decent collection of value that my son can take with him when hes old enough to start his own family). Im very aware that collecting comics to try and gain a profit or percent on investment isn't exactly the best practice in most cases and that isn't why we are collecting but with that being said it is still nice to have fun well at the same time being able to collect a valuable collection of comic history to pass on at some point in the future if that makes sense..

So far we have been able to get some really nice comics that are great displayed on the walls in our place and also are good candidates to maintain there value over time. 

Nice to meet everyone here and we look forward to learning from and collecting along side everyone here in the CGC community. 

On 9/22/2018 at 3:25 PM, explosive&kitkat said:

Hello,

My name is Steven but my nickname has been explosive for as long as I can remember. I just joined the CGC family today with my 5 yr old son Kaiden (KitKat). We are both very new to comic collecting. Im a single father of two (have a 14 month old daughter) and try and align my personal hobbies with my kids likes and dislikes in order to build stronger bonds. My son KitKat was born disabled and isn't able to do much in the way of sports and such but is amazingly smart and imaginative which makes our shared enjoyment of super hero entertainment a perfect pass time. 

Here are the major focusses we have been grabbing to start off:

1. Signatures, We have collected artsy and animated sigs for a few years that we hang on the walls. KitKat absolutely loves sigs and that hobby transferred right away to comic collecting.

2. In order of our top priority heros to collect Hulk, Spiderman, wonder woman, Flash and batman/robin (but not limited to these we love all super heros, these are KitKats faves)

3. Older comics that will retain there value or even raise in value over time (This is one of my main goals as I would like to be able to amass a decent collection of value that my son can take with him when hes old enough to start his own family). Im very aware that collecting comics to try and gain a profit or percent on investment isn't exactly the best practice in most cases and that isn't why we are collecting but with that being said it is still nice to have fun well at the same time being able to collect a valuable collection of comic history to pass on at some point in the future if that makes sense..

So far we have been able to get some really nice comics that are great displayed on the walls in our place and also are good candidates to maintain there value over time. 

Nice to meet everyone here and we look forward to learning from and collecting along side everyone here in the CGC community. 

Welcome to the forums.

#3 is the same for all collectibles. I collect(ed) playing cards for the fun of using them, but bought 2 of each deck knowing/hoping they'd retain value if I wanted/needed to sell them at some point.

Hey everyone! Mike here from up in Canada. Been collecting seriously for 5 or more years now and finally dipped my toes in the graded comic market this past weekend. Love me some Artgerm, Middleton, Mendoza, Frisson, Hughes, Mattina covet artwork. Look forward to interacting with you all in here and sharing and learning along the way. ?????

4 hours ago, Mikester71 said:

Hey everyone! Mike here from up in Canada. Been collecting seriously for 5 or more years now and finally dipped my toes in the graded comic market this past weekend. Love me some Artgerm, Middleton, Mendoza, Frisson, Hughes, Mattina covet artwork. Look forward to interacting with you all in here and sharing and learning along the way. ?????

Welcome to CGC, Mike. :foryou:

6 hours ago, Mikester71 said:

:headbang: Welcome!

Hello! I'm new to CGC. I collected in the early nineties and now I'm back. I've recently slabbed some books and I'm trying to sell them to fund the start of a new collection. I'm also trying to learn as much as I can about grading. I plan on hanging heavily around the Please Grade My forum and I'm addicted to looking at old covers after only a couple of weeks. Everyone on the chat boards has been awesome to me so far, thanks.  

28 minutes ago, KobaltDog said:

Hello! I'm new to CGC. I collected in the early nineties and now I'm back. I've recently slabbed some books and I'm trying to sell them to fund the start of a new collection. I'm also trying to learn as much as I can about grading. I plan on hanging heavily around the Please Grade My forum and I'm addicted to looking at old covers after only a couple of weeks. Everyone on the chat boards has been awesome to me so far, thanks.  

Welcome :headbang:

10 hours ago, KobaltDog said:

Welcome! Always glad to interact with other new collectors/board members since I've only been doing this for about a year.

Hello everyone,

I am almost 40 years and started collecting comic books when I was in the 6th grade. I  collected them mainly for the artwork as well as the stories and fell in love with this hobby. I collected regularly until I graduated high school and then a Traumatic event  happened literally days after I graduated  that caused me to shift my focus to different things and I just never had the time or the extra money to go back to collecting. A few years ago I tried to get back into collecting and was told by the person that I was with at the time that even spending at little as 10 to  20 dollars a month to enhance my collection at all was a massive waste of money. so the short version is that in order to appease a woman I thought I was going to marry I put my dreams of collecting again on hold. (I am pretty sure that I even joined an older version of these forums before my dreams of collecting went away again.) Now, for the first time in years I find myself with some extra money every month (not a whole lot because I have a disability and am on a very fixed income, but I am in much better shape then I was before) and thought maybe it was time to get back into collecting again. It is bittersweet, as I lost about 300 books from my existing collection in my move, (left them in the house that I was moving out of after a bad breakup by accident. It is a long story that I will not go into here, Nothing of any value to anyone beside me) but I am willing to give it another shot.

Please be patient with me and keep in mind that I have not collected for almost 20 years and I was not what you would call a serious collector so I do not know much when it comes to grading and things of that nature even though I would like to learn more. As it is I am just happy to be able to do this again and I am hoping that I can grow my existing collection and recapture the love that I had for all of this in the first place.

Thank you for reading,

3 minutes ago, Lord_Knikon said:

Hello everyone,

I am almost 40 years and started collecting comic books when I was in the 6th grade. I  collected them mainly for the artwork as well as the stories and fell in love with this hobby. I collected regularly until I graduated high school and then a Traumatic event  happened literally days after I graduated  that caused me to shift my focus to different things and I just never had the time or the extra money to go back to collecting. A few years ago I tried to get back into collecting and was told by the person that I was with at the time that even spending at little as 10 to  20 dollars a month to enhance my collection at all was a massive waste of money. so the short version is that in order to appease a woman I thought I was going to marry I put my dreams of collecting again on hold. (I am pretty sure that I even joined an older version of these forums before my dreams of collecting went away again.) Now, for the first time in years I find myself with some extra money every month (not a whole lot because I have a disability and am on a very fixed income, but I am in much better shape then I was before) and thought maybe it was time to get back into collecting again. It is bittersweet, as I lost about 300 books from my existing collection in my move, (left them in the house that I was moving out of after a bad breakup by accident. It is a long story that I will not go into here, Nothing of any value to anyone beside me) but I am willing to give it another shot.

Please be patient with me and keep in mind that I have not collected for almost 20 years and I was not what you would call a serious collector so I do not know much when it comes to grading and things of that nature even though I would like to learn more. As it is I am just happy to be able to do this again and I am hoping that I can grow my existing collection and recapture the love that I had for all of this in the first place.

Thank you for reading,

Welcome on board Lord Knikon. That's a story you've told there. Life's a blast isn't it. What did you collect? And what interests you now?  

17 hours ago, Lord_Knikon said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for reading,

Welcome to the boards! I find that most everyone here is patient and very helpful. I'm starting to love this place. You will, too!

20 hours ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Welcome on board Lord Knikon. That's a story you've told there. Life's a blast isn't it. What did you collect? And what interests you now?  

To answer your question I collected a broad range of things. If I had to pick favorites though I would say a large part of my collection was X-Men (the whole being judged for being different is something I could relate too) Spider Man, and Batman. I am looking at maybe reading some new series from those characters as well as possibly getting into the Green Lantern (I do not have many of the comics but I liked the Hal Jordan character) also, I might get blasted for this but I did not think the movie was as horrible as some claim (then again, I reserve judgment until I read more of the comic books, I did not think Eragon was a bad movie when it was first released, did not think it was great but I thought it was watchable, until I read the book and realized how badly they messed up the story.)

Also, I would be interested in any good Indy titles that you guys could recommend. I was a pretty big Spawn fan but I am kind of glad I stopped reading when I did because I heard they really ran the series into the ground. I would still be tempted to pick it back up and try it again but if the few things I read on the internet are correct they have not done an issue in several years now? Kind of disappointing, but I would be more then willing to try anything that is recommended. I also would not mind collecting some silver age issues as well to become a more serious collector, but looking at some prices I do not know if my budget can handle that.

Thanks for the warm welcome back to the boards guys

42 minutes ago, Lord_Knikon said:

I am looking at maybe reading some new series from those characters as well as possibly getting into the Green Lantern (I do not have many of the comics but I liked the Hal Jordan character) also, I might get blasted for this but I did not think the movie was as horrible as some claim (then again, I reserve judgment until I read more of the comic books, I did not think Eragon was a bad movie when it was first released, did not think it was great but I thought it was watchable, until I read the book and realized how badly they messed up the story.)

I won't "blast" you, but IMO the Green Lantern movie is garbage because of Hal Jordan's depiction. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but he isn't supposed to be a little wimp. With the Green Lanterns being powered by "will", the ring wouldn't select someone like that. I don't ever recall Hal Jordan or John Stewart (or any Green Lantern) being a little beotch. Parallax getting the Galactus treatment was also abysmal. Blake Lively has no charisma, also. Insane that those two got married despite having no on-screen chemistry. 2c

Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok) and Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) learned a lot from being involved in Green Lantern. A lot of bad, and what not to do, that is.

Edited by TwoPiece

42 minutes ago, Lord_Knikon said:

To answer your question I collected a broad range of things. If I had to pick favorites though I would say a large part of my collection was X-Men (the whole being judged for being different is something I could relate too) Spider Man, and Batman. I am looking at maybe reading some new series from those characters as well as possibly getting into the Green Lantern (I do not have many of the comics but I liked the Hal Jordan character) also, I might get blasted for this but I did not think the movie was as horrible as some claim (then again, I reserve judgment until I read more of the comic books, I did not think Eragon was a bad movie when it was first released, did not think it was great but I thought it was watchable, until I read the book and realized how badly they messed up the story.)

Also, I would be interested in any good Indy titles that you guys could recommend. I was a pretty big Spawn fan but I am kind of glad I stopped reading when I did because I heard they really ran the series into the ground. I would still be tempted to pick it back up and try it again but if the few things I read on the internet are correct they have not done an issue in several years now? Kind of disappointing, but I would be more then willing to try anything that is recommended. I also would not mind collecting some silver age issues as well to become a more serious collector, but looking at some prices I do not know if my budget can handle that.

Thanks for the warm welcome back to the boards guys

You're welcome. Start poking around the place - you'll find loads of stuff to read and suggestions for good stuff to read. I think @Ken Aldred is up on his indies (I'm not myself) - Ken - am I right? Suggestions please if so (thumbsu