• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Point Five said:
On 1/7/2019 at 7:04 PM, an_gry said:

Long time lurker, finally decided to pull the trigger and participate.

Welcome! Hope you stick around.   :cool:

Welcome :tink:

16 hours ago, Vekkar said:

Hello everyone, I am new here and just got my first ever CGC comic book today! I am a 27-year-old guy from the US and I am in college for electrical engineering. I came to the boards looking to purchase a few comics!

Welcom Vekkar :headbang: College Life is Fun, hope that you meet your goals! ^^ 

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Welcom Vekkar :headbang: College Life is Fun, hope that you meet your goals! ^^ 

Thanks, I hope the best for you and all your endeavors as well! All my time goes to wrapping my head around various math and science topics haha, I do love researching comics, their authors, illustrators etc. It has become a really fun hobby!

On 1/14/2019 at 3:17 PM, Vekkar said:

Thanks, I hope the best for you and all your endeavors as well! All my time goes to wrapping my head around various math and science topics haha, I do love researching comics, their authors, illustrators etc. It has become a really fun hobby!

Welcome to the boards!

What field do you plan on entering after college? A friend of mine went to General Motors in automotive recently after graduating.

14 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Welcome to the boards!

What field do you plan on entering after college? A friend of mine went to General Motors in automotive recently after graduating.

I will be attempting to go into the medical side of things with a focus on prosthetics as a way of designing better prostheses. Overall, I'd be really happy to be anywhere in the medical technology field. Everything is really robust, has proper policies to follow, structured and the pay will be reliable.

7 minutes ago, Vekkar said:

I will be attempting to go into the medical side of things with a focus on prosthetics as a way of designing better prostheses. Overall, I'd be really happy to be anywhere in the medical technology field. Everything is really robust, has proper policies to follow, structured and the pay will be reliable.

Dang, that's cool. Good luck!

Hello there, my name is Justin. I have been a lifelong fan of comics and heroes. I just recently started collecting hardcore about 4-5 years ago. I collect mostly ASM and whatever Batman and Superman stuff I can find. I love old art styles from the 50s/60s and look for cover art from then. I also love modern covers. Just wanted to finally introduce myself!

On 1/13/2019 at 7:20 PM, Vekkar said:

Hello everyone, I am new here and just got my first ever CGC comic book today! I am a 27-year-old guy from the US and I am in college for electrical engineering. I came to the boards looking to purchase a few comics!

Just wanted to ask, what is the book you got? Congrats!

Hey all, 

Brand new to the forum, and to comics in general. I read a few as a kid growing up (I'm 34) but never got heavy into it. Always loved to read but as I got older and busier it unfortunatly took a back seat. Had some life happen, moved in with my friend whose super heavy into comics, and I guess the bug bit me, Started reading a few, and I started picking up my own. Mostly starting out with stuff I was into as a kid, like Predator and Aliens. Also getting into Hulk, Venom, and Judge Dredd because I was into them as a kid, and being a veteran I've started checking out The 'Nam and am interested in other military themed comics. So, Glad to be here and ready to learn. So overwhelming there's tons of stuff out there. 

13 hours ago, Jay1721 said:

Hello there, my name is Justin. I have been a lifelong fan of comics and heroes. I just recently started collecting hardcore about 4-5 years ago. I collect mostly ASM and whatever Batman and Superman stuff I can find. I love old art styles from the 50s/60s and look for cover art from then. I also love modern covers. Just wanted to finally introduce myself!

Welcome to the boards, Justin.

Superman and Batman are at the top of my list, too.

Good morning everybody 

My name is Gerald

It's 3:30 AM here in Georgia and I just joined the CGC community 

I started collecting comic books in the early 80's, back then a lot of silver and bronze age comics could be found in 3 for a $1 boxes or key books for less than $10 in comic book stores, I was mostly a DC fan but also picked up a lot of Marvel comics along the way. I gave myself the excuse that I was collecting for my retirement and would have a valuable collection when I got there. well that time is coming on quick these days.

I got caught up in the glut that went on in the 90's and by the early 2000's I began to loose interest. I found myself with a lot of comics that where hot in the moment (example: the death of Superman) but lost value as soon as the public interest faded. I put my collection away and have just started to go through it after 15 + years with out even looking at a price guide. I picked up the Overstreet last year and what a surprise, the silver and bronze where well worth the investment I have quite a few keys from the 80's but the glut stuff is still a bad investment.

Well like I said, retirement is getting closer these days and it's time to figure this thing out. I have somewhere between 10 to 12 thousand books in all. Back in the day there was no CGC, books where graded by dealers or you did it yourself and after going through a couple thousand book I realized it's going to get expensive to have these books graded so I'm thinking about working this thing backwards starting with the glut.

I want to sell off my 90"s and early 2000"s books and use that money to pay for grading on key issues copper age books, If anyone out there has any advice on how to do this it would be greatly apricated.

Gerald

@Silver60 Welcome Gerald to the boards! Preach! lol :foryou: 

There are many threads on the CGC boards that would help you, like possibly selling the 90's 00's in bulk to a LCS (local comic store)....

I can't think of specific thread names as I was not in that situation and read them but just to gleam info...

What you COULD do, is try googling "key" terms, such as 90's drek, how do i unload (just examples

BUT when you google and at the end of your key terms put a space and then  cgccomics.com     into the  search bar, this usually allows google to bring up older cgc board threads!

then you could always post in those if you have any questions :) 

Sorry I wasn't of more specific help, but rather than start a "new" thread, as there have been many, I think this info may be of help :foryou: 

Hi, New to the comic book world. I have recently become the owner of about 35 Golden Age comics, with the exception of two, all pre-code. I also have a handful of bronze  era and some not-very-valuable modern age comics. Golden age comics include EC Comics, Famous Funnies and a few others. I'm here to learn about quality and grading to determine which comics are worth getting graded and slabbed. I look at some books in my collection and think they're in horrible condition then I see others and realize my comics are in pretty good shape for being almost 70 years old. 

I'm new to comic books but not new to selling collectibles. My Spidey senses (pun intended) are fine tuned to folks out there who want to take advantage of people with less knowledge.  I will be selling off pieces eventually but first I will learn. Not a huge fan of auctions but I may not have a choice for some of the items in this collection.

Thanks for reading this. I look forward to any knowledge you nice people are willing to provide!

11 hours ago, Jay1721 said:

Thank you so much!

Got any prized Batman or Superman pieces?

I have The Dark Knight Returns #1-4 all signed by both Miller and Janson. I also have the Death of Superman run all signed by the writer for each issue. They're no Action #1 or Detective #27, but they're a couple of my favorite stories.

I've been focusing on buying and reading trade paperbacks and Absolute Editions for them lately more-so than CGC books. I'm also trying to catch up on the current Action and Detective stories since the DC Rebirth.

What about you?

11 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I have The Dark Knight Returns #1-4 all signed by both Miller and Janson. I also have the Death of Superman run all signed by the writer for each issue. They're no Action #1 or Detective #27, but they're a couple of my favorite stories.

I've been focusing on buying and reading trade paperbacks and Absolute Editions for them lately more-so than CGC books. I'm also trying to catch up on the current Action and Detective stories since the DC Rebirth.

What about you?

Truly jealous of the Dark Knight stuff!

I have some nice Batman stuff, I have Batman 404 signed by Frank Miller and 5 books signed by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. Superman stuff is much harder to get but I have the 75th anniversary cover ship issue and a great Alex Ross lithograph.