• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Gabbert319 said:

Hey guys!

Name is Daniel! I just joined CGC and am still getting my feet wet. I have collected comics since Day 1.

I am a huge Spider-Man (Marvel) and Batman (DC) Fan. I have put together a full set of Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, and Spider-Man. 

I grew up with Volume 1... Sorry guys that's the real stuff!

I have a few CGC Graded Comics coming into this... I have some I will probably reach out to get opinions to grade or press.

Speaking of Press... That's all new to me so yeah not gonna pretend I have a clue on that.

There are several Alyssa (My Wife/The Boss) and I are thinking of grading like Wolverine #1, Savage She-Hulk #1, Batman Adventures #12, and Harley Quinn #1 (2000 Series and Every Other).

Alyssa is a huge Harley Quinn nut! However, I taught her right! Ask her which was the best... She will tell you The Animated Series and the 2000 run.

Welcome!

@ADAMANTIUM Already covered the bases, so have fun!

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the boards. I've been lurking here for a couple years using the resources here to educate myself further on my hobby of 25 years. As a kid I was gifted Infinity Gauntlet #'s 1-3 and Todd McFarlane's Spiderman #'s1-10 which sparked my love for comics and my unnatural love for Thanos 😈.

From there I spent a lot of time as a kid diving through long boxes and pulling out 80's/ 90's Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider, and Spider-Man books creating my collection of mostly drek, but drek I cherished as a kid. 

As a teen I delved into Alan Moore's work with an obvious affinity for the classics Watchmen and V for Vendetta. I consider his run on Swamp Thing one of the greatest runs in comic history (I'm sure some will disagree >.>).  Loved Gaiman's Sandman among many other modern classics.

With age my collecting has evolved  starting with run collecting throughout my 20's .... Completing the Danny Ketch Ghost Rider run, ASM 298-400, The Demon Vol.1-3 (3 is almost complete). Over time Moon Knight has become my favorite comic character (which many people don't seem to understand) and I almost have every Moonie book. 

With 17 short boxes over the last couple of years I have focused on First Appearances and Keys for the characters I appreciate most.

My most cherished books are my IM #55 cgc 6.0,  Strange Adventures #205 CGC 6.5, NM ASM #300(un-slabbed), WBN #32 (un-slabbed 4.0 range which I plan to upgrade) WBN #33 CBCS 6.5, Moon Knight #1 CGC 9.6, The Demon #1 (un-slabbed 7.0 range) and Swamp Thing #1 CGC 8.0.

Anyway that's my comic journey. I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger and joined the community. Now I will probably just go back to my lurking ways in the shadows of the boards :ph34r:. 

Edited by Lurker89

12 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the boards. I've been lurking here for a couple years using the resources here to educate myself further on my hobby of 25 years. As a kid I was gifted Infinity Gauntlet #'s 1-3 and Todd McFarlane's Spiderman #'s1-10 which sparked my love for comics and my unnatural love for Thanos 😈.

From there I spent a lot of time as a kid diving through long boxes and pulling out 80's/ 90's Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider, and Spider-Man books creating my collection of mostly drek, but drek I cherished as a kid. 

As a teen I delved into Alan Moore's work with an obvious affinity for the classics Watchmen and V for Vendetta. I consider his run on Swamp Thing one of the greatest runs in comic history (I'm sure some will disagree >.>).  Loved Gaiman's Sandman among many other modern classics.

With age my collecting has evolved  starting with run collecting throughout my 20's .... Completing the Danny Ketch Ghost Rider run, ASM 298-400, The Demon Vol.1-3 (3 is almost complete). Over time Moon Knight has become my favorite comic character (which many people don't seem to understand) and I almost have every Moonie book. 

With 17 short boxes over the last couple of years I have focused on First Appearances and Keys for the characters I appreciate most.

My most cherished books are my IM #55 cgc 6.0,  Strange Adventures #205 CGC 6.5, NM ASM #300(un-slabbed), WBN #32 (un-slabbed 4.0 range which I plan to upgrade) WBN #33 CBCS 6.5, Moon Knight #1 CGC 9.6, The Demon #1 (un-slabbed 7.0 range) and Swamp Thing #1 CGC 8.0.

Anyway that's my comic journey. I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger and joined the community. Now I will probably just go back to my lurking ways in the shadows of the boards :ph34r:. 

Impressive :) Welcome to the boards! :headbang: 

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I’ve been reading comics since the late 70s but just recently got interested in having some of my books slabbed. I go to 3-4 cons every year and after seeing CGC’s ubiquitous booth (hard to miss lol), I got to asking questions which led to interest which led to making my first submission(s) at the last con. Right now I’m concentrating on SS books since with the price of autos these days - I’ve also been going to cons since the late 80s and catch myself thinking, “back in my day...” too often for comfort haha - it’s nice to have everything capped and verified. Plus it just looks nicer on display! Anyway, I probably will mostly lurk but I thought might as well get that first post out the way.

5 hours ago, Cman429 said:

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I’ve been reading comics since the late 70s but just recently got interested in having some of my books slabbed. I go to 3-4 cons every year and after seeing CGC’s ubiquitous booth (hard to miss lol), I got to asking questions which led to interest which led to making my first submission(s) at the last con. Right now I’m concentrating on SS books since with the price of autos these days - I’ve also been going to cons since the late 80s and catch myself thinking, “back in my day...” too often for comfort haha - it’s nice to have everything capped and verified. Plus it just looks nicer on display! Anyway, I probably will mostly lurk but I thought might as well get that first post out the way.

Welcome! :headbang: post away :banana: !!! :foryou: 

5 hours ago, Cman429 said:

Welcome!

Hello everyone.   I’ve been lurking on the boards for a while and have enjoyed every minute of it, so I’m now posting my inaugural message here to this thread.  I’m originally from Syracuse, NY and started collecting comics as a preteen in the early 1980s.  I would bug my older brother for a ride to the only comic shop in town, Dream Days.  I owe my early love of comics to Dream Days proprietor Mike Sagert, who was truly an amazing guy and always had the time to engage customers and spend time with them – even kids like me who many times didn’t have a dime to spend (or 60 cents, which was the cover price of most books at the time, lol).  Even though I had not had any contact with Mike since the early 1990s I was saddened to learn that he passed away earlier this year:

https://comicbook.com/comics/2019/04/17/mike-sagert-syracuses-first-comics-retailer-has-passed-away/

https://www.syracusenewtimes.com/mike-sagert-dream-days-syracuse-first-comic-shop/

Ad Astra, Mike!

In my early teens, after a few years of collecting contemporary books, I wanted to connect with the beginnings of my favorite superheros so I acquired some key books via lay-away at Dream Days.  As I mowed lawns in summer or shoveled driveways in winter I would pay them down (the more expensive books $5 or $10 at a time).  I acquired the heart of my collection in this way, including X-men #1, #2; Daredevil #2 – 5; Avengers #2, and #11; Fantastic Four #4; and Hulk #1 (some were co-purchased with my brother).  Alas, in my later teens even though I got a wage-earning job at the local grocery store I also discovered cars, girls, etc. so put comics aside.  Thank heavens my mom never threw them out and my brother, who still lives in the Syracuse area, had grabbed the collection for safe keeping some time ago.  Several years ago I brought the Silver Age books to Florida (where I’ve lived since 1999).  In 2017 I had all the above Silver Age books slabbed via CGC.  In one of the toughest comics decisions I’ve made I ended up having the aforementioned X-men, Avengers, and FF books signed by Stan Lee at his final Megacon appearance that year so those five books are CGC Signature Series.  This was a very personal decision for me, and looking back now I know I made the right choice…and either way I don’t plan on selling those books (Unfortunately I had sold my Hulk in 1989 to get a new alternator for my 1977 Chevelle...had got that Hulk from Mike for $100 and sold it for $150…I sure wish I had that Hulk now as that Chevy is long gone!). 

I’ve since gotten back into collecting, focusing mostly on Golden and Silver age books.  In my heart I’m a hobbyist but I also have a keen mind for value – so the continual war between maximizing one or the other of those two oft competing objectives continues.  In either instance, I find the world of comics to be wonderful and I truly hope they bring as much joy and happiness to everyone as they do to me.  If you're still reading this post I truly thank you for bearing with the long intro...

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking in and off for a few years and thought I'd finally post an introduction. My name is Paul and I started collecting comics at age 12 when I bought Secret Wars 5 on the newsstand and was hooked immediately. X-Men was my main book as a kid and I found myself quickly starting to collect back issues. Some of my all time favorites since then are Kirby's Fourth World (especially Mister Miracle), Moore's Swamp Thing, Marvel Silver Age in general, and Silver age Batman, Flash, and Bizarro and Bat-Mite books. I don't know what I like more about comics: the stories, or the covers. But luckily, I don't have to choose. I can just love everything about them!

Edited by p-kay14
Added content

13 hours ago, DaysDreamin' said:

Hello everyone.   I’ve been lurking on the boards for a while and have enjoyed every minute of it, so I’m now posting my inaugural message here to this thread.  I’m originally from Syracuse, NY and started collecting comics as a preteen in the early 1980s.  I would bug my older brother for a ride to the only comic shop in town, Dream Days.  I owe my early love of comics to Dream Days proprietor Mike Sagert, who was truly an amazing guy and always had the time to engage customers and spend time with them – even kids like me who many times didn’t have a dime to spend (or 60 cents, which was the cover price of most books at the time, lol).  Even though I had not had any contact with Mike since the early 1990s I was saddened to learn that he passed away earlier this year:

https://comicbook.com/comics/2019/04/17/mike-sagert-syracuses-first-comics-retailer-has-passed-away/

https://www.syracusenewtimes.com/mike-sagert-dream-days-syracuse-first-comic-shop/

Ad Astra, Mike!

In my early teens, after a few years of collecting contemporary books, I wanted to connect with the beginnings of my favorite superheros so I acquired some key books via lay-away at Dream Days.  As I mowed lawns in summer or shoveled driveways in winter I would pay them down (the more expensive books $5 or $10 at a time).  I acquired the heart of my collection in this way, including X-men #1, #2; Daredevil #2 – 5; Avengers #2, and #11; Fantastic Four #4; and Hulk #1 (some were co-purchased with my brother).  Alas, in my later teens even though I got a wage-earning job at the local grocery store I also discovered cars, girls, etc. so put comics aside.  Thank heavens my mom never threw them out and my brother, who still lives in the Syracuse area, had grabbed the collection for safe keeping some time ago.  Several years ago I brought the Silver Age books to Florida (where I’ve lived since 1999).  In 2017 I had all the above Silver Age books slabbed via CGC.  In one of the toughest comics decisions I’ve made I ended up having the aforementioned X-men, Avengers, and FF books signed by Stan Lee at his final Megacon appearance that year so those five books are CGC Signature Series.  This was a very personal decision for me, and looking back now I know I made the right choice…and either way I don’t plan on selling those books (Unfortunately I had sold my Hulk in 1989 to get a new alternator for my 1977 Chevelle...had got that Hulk from Mike for $100 and sold it for $150…I sure wish I had that Hulk now as that Chevy is long gone!). 

I’ve since gotten back into collecting, focusing mostly on Golden and Silver age books.  In my heart I’m a hobbyist but I also have a keen mind for value – so the continual war between maximizing one or the other of those two oft competing objectives continues.  In either instance, I find the world of comics to be wonderful and I truly hope they bring as much joy and happiness to everyone as they do to me.  If you're still reading this post I truly thank you for bearing with the long intro...

Wow! And welcome ;)

New York! New York!

1 hour ago, p-kay14 said:

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking in and off for a few years and thought I'd finally post an introduction. My name is Paul and I started collecting comics at age 12 when I bought Secret Wars 5 on the newsstand and was hooked immediately. X-Men was my main book as a kid and I found myself quickly starting to collect back issues. Some of my all time favorites since then are Kirby's Fourth World (especially Mister Miracle), Moore's Swamp Thing, Marvel Silver Age in general, and Silver age Batman, Flash, and Bizarro and Bat-Mite books. I don't know what I like more about comics: the stories, or the covers. But luckily, I don't have to choose. I can just love everything about them!

Glad to have you.... and welcome! Been a quiet Sunday lol

Hello everyone!

Long-time lurker, posting for the first time.

While being a huge DC fan - the only Marvel books I'm reading right now are Immortal Hulk and Venom - I grew up with the X-Men and recently completed Claremont's run (unslabbed for the most part, with the exception of #101). Also got some major keys (Giant size X-Men 1 9.4 CGC and Hulk 181 8.0 CGC), I'm on a journey to buy my mega grail, a CGC copy of X-Men 1, without destroying completely my bank account - doesn't help that I live in Italy so shipping and import fees go heavy on me lol..

Anyway, you guys helped me a lot - unknowingly - in my comics journey and for that I thank you, glad to be a member of this community!

16 hours ago, DopeyMagneto said:

Hello everyone!

Long-time lurker, posting for the first time.

While being a huge DC fan - the only Marvel books I'm reading right now are Immortal Hulk and Venom - I grew up with the X-Men and recently completed Claremont's run (unslabbed for the most part, with the exception of #101). Also got some major keys (Giant size X-Men 1 9.4 CGC and Hulk 181 8.0 CGC), I'm on a journey to buy my mega grail, a CGC copy of X-Men 1, without destroying completely my bank account - doesn't help that I live in Italy so shipping and import fees go heavy on me lol..

Anyway, you guys helped me a lot - unknowingly - in my comics journey and for that I thank you, glad to be a member of this community!

Howdy! Admirable Goals, given your in Italy, perhaps you'd have a leg up on the artist Dell Otto...who I believe resides there :)

Hi everyone!

New user here, lifelong comic reader and collector, starting in the 90’s out here in Colorado.

Marvel guy, though I read everything throughout my childhood, teens, early 20’s... the books that made me fall in love with comics were Dezago and Wieringo’s Sensational Spider-Man, the Romita Jr run on Peter Parker Spider-Man, Waid and Wieringo’s legendary FF run (my all-time favorite comic story) and Bendis and Bagley’s Ultimate Spidey.

Looking to start collecting original art from my favorite artists and runs, and fall in love with new art from creators that are coming into their own.

Thanks in advance for welcoming me- can’t wait to learn more!

53 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Howdy! Admirable Goals, given your in Italy, perhaps you'd have a leg up on the artist Dell Otto...who I believe resides there :)

Yeah he does! He had a booth at the biggest Italian comic con last November, too bad I didn't make it to his signing session.. but I had the chance to meet Neal Adams instead lol!